New Player Lost in a Big Ukulele World

TeeVex

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm the proud owner of a brand new ukulele and I've found myself rather lost. I've been learning some chords few the past two days. But I'm really not sure where to go with this. I'm just looking for some advice regarding how i should take on the uke. Do I dive in and start learning songs, figuring out chords as i go? Do i learn chords first? Should i be doing exercises to practice chords? Those types of questions are running through my head at the moment.

Hoping for an answer soon, TeeVex

Hello and welcome, welcome, welcome!!! When I got started, I tried to learn a few chords and read a lot of material on this site. That material took me in a few different directions. Look at the forums and threads here and watch some of the Ukulele Underground videos. They are wonderful. There is so much information and material out there, you can get overwhelmed, so try what looks good to you. There isn't any one way to go. Learning chords, learning songs, picking up tips. I watched the UU videos and got off to a pretty good start in a few weeks. Here is where I started - https://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/

I found the ukulele bootcamp that you can find links to on this site as a great starting point for myself and I also took the extra step of paying for the ukulele underground website for access to great beginner videos and lessons with aldrine. Then after I felt like I had some strumming and chords under my belt I started searching the net for video tutorials of my favorite songs. I have been playing for about a year and a half and had never played anyhing before.
personally I am a very technical player and I did go and find a persona Ukulele instructor after about a year to follow up on what I had learned o my own. But I got a lot just on this site , the UU official paid membership and free online videos. Best starting place though would be Uncle Rods boot camp.
:D

Rita
Luna tattoo concert
Alulu Hummingbird Concert
Harmony 1950 Stencil Soprano signature series

Start here! The UU guys have done a lot of work to give us free stuff. Check out all the videos.

There is tons of stuff out there. So much more than when I started. It's awesome.

Have fun.

I'm still a newbie myself, but I started by learning a few chords via Youtube videos, then started learning songs. Sometimes this involves learning a new chord or two. This method has worked particularly well for me because I have a short attention sp

Really, I imagine it's whatever works best for you. Have you ever taught yourself a new skill before? Did you prefer to read up and learn as much as you can first, or just dive in and learn as you go?

I have a series of lessons sponsored by Kala entitled 26 Basic Ukulele Lessons. Starts from the ground up. Check the tab on my site.

Check out the book Ukulele Boot Camp, if you lack structure, that sure has it. I am working through the 40 week program and it has done wonders in making me practice the things i am bad at.
Bill

See if there's a copy of Ukulele for Dummies in your local library. The new "beginner's bible" for new uke players. Gives you a good foundation on all aspects of the uke in general.

Start here! The UU guys have done a lot of work to give us free stuff. Check out all the videos.

There is tons of stuff out there. So much more than when I started. It's awesome.

Have fun.

Sukie gives good advice. The UU guys have made so many great free tutorial videos.

And to it I'd add, learn an easy song or two right away. It will give you a feeling of accomplishment and will make you want to learn more. Then you can get down to the chord drills. For those, I really liked Uncle Rod's, but I haven't tried the new series on UU+ yet. I'm sure it's great too!

If you can get the hang of C, Am, F, and G, then you can tackle quite a few songs. I taught the basics to a group of workmates last week, and they managed Teenage Kicks, Hound Dog, Monster Mash, and Let It Be, and loved it. Better, in my opinion, than ploughing through pages of chords and strumming patterns.

Hello and welcome, welcome, welcome!!! When I got started, I tried to learn a few chords and read a lot of material on this site. That material took me in a few different directions. Look at the forums and threads here and watch some of the Ukulele Underground videos. They are wonderful. There is so much information and material out there, you can get overwhelmed, so try what looks good to you. There isn't any one way to go. Learning chords, learning songs, picking up tips. I watched the UU videos and got off to a pretty good start in a few weeks. Here is where I started - https://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/

Thanks you sooooooooo much this really helped

The easiest way for me to jump in was to go to look at the the tabs & chords at ukulelehunt.com (you can browse by difficulty and choose "Easy").
http://ukulelehunt.com/tag/Easy/?which=Chords

I learned songs with just a few easy chords (G, C, F, Am) and then I started picking songs with the chords I knew plus one or two new ones. I found this to be a fun way to get a feel for the instrument, build up muscle memory, and learn how to strum different rhythms.

Top Bottom