Fretting with the thumb?

Thanks for all the replies! Just to be clear, I wasn't really meaning to ask if it is a "good" or "bad" technique so much as I was just curious if other people did it. It has worked for me on other stringed instruments and also works for me on the uke (I have fairly large hands and long fingers), I just haven't seen that many other people play that way. I understand it isn't orthodox technique, but the same criticism is made in the guitar realms and using the thumb actually makes it possible to play some things that would otherwise not be playable. The only exception, in my experience, is classical/flamenco guitar, because the fretboard is too wide for thumb over the top fretting and many of the finger stretches require proper thumb placement to execute.

In other words, I agree that if it works, it works. Maybe not a good habit for beginners, but otherwise fine.

Do other people fret the G string with their thumb on occasion? This was a habit I picked up playing the guitar and it has carried over for me. Given the uke's small neck and sometimes cramped fingerings, I often find it easier to fret the G string over the top with my thumb. Especially for this chord shape:

Anyone else?

I can do it like this:

4 P
2 I
3 R
3 M

but I think the thumb on the 4th string is definitely easier.

I also sometimes use the thumb for:

4 P
2 I
4 R
2 T

instead of the "more proper"

4 P
2 M
4 R
2 I

If you can play it cleanly, do what works for you.

I do this all the time. Sometimes it makes switching chords so much faster and smoother for me. I tend to cradle the neck in the crook between my thumb and forefinger, instead of using my thumb to brace the back of the neck, so my thumb is always just kind of hanging out there anyway. In all honesty, I'm trying to break myself of the habit since it's generally considered poor form and I'm fairly new to playing.

My other dirty little secret: I strum with my middle finger instead of my pointer generally. My pointer fingernail folds on the corner naturally and snags on the strings.

My other dirty little secret: I strum with my middle finger instead of my pointer generally. My pointer fingernail folds on the corner naturally and snags on the strings.

Two tips...use an emery board to round the corners of your strumming & picking finger(s), and paint them with clear nail hardener to strengthen them.

Otherwise, though, your using the middle finger is good. I often strum with two, three, sometimes even all four fingers depending on what intensity I'm going for. Also, when you tear up the finger on your "primary" finger it's good to be able to fall back on another. Like most of this week I had to strum with my second finger after damaging my index finger and nail. Doing finger rolls was a little challenging but strumming was fine.

John

Top Bottom