Interesting Pineapple Kamaka

hilot.h.

Reaction score
131_thumb.jpgAloha,
I just saw this on eBay.
I have never seen a Kamaka with such an offset soundhole.While this is a nice vintage ukulele,what's with the soundhole?

Certainly looks very "wonky"....

You guys need to get your head around ukuleles made in Hawaii in the early days.
Look at the close-up pictures the seller has provided. Realize this is probably an upper-end uke. It shows what looks like a uke made mostly with a sharp knife or chisel, that is all. A slightly off-set sound hole? No matter, the neck was glued in at a slight angle to the centerline, and the hole matched where the strings would go, as was the bridge.
If there was any power in the shop back then, it most likely powered a light bulb.
Now the price being asked for it, that is the price of the future!

David is so correct here....this is normal for Hawaiian built ukuleles of the time. My Kamaka pineapple is similar in that it is very roughly built.

Funny that mainland built ukes of the exact same vintage, especially the better stuff, but also the Regals and such were much more precisely built.

Maybe it was a piece of driftwood,

or maybe the wood under Moondoggy's toilet and the drain pipe was'nt quite centered.

Actually it is a early deluxe model with the rope binding and nice koa....nothing wrong with offset soundholes...they were ahead of their time...

It is a lovely piece of folk art.

I agree wholeheartedly it is FOLK ART.I am in no way belittleing this instrument
And yes the worker was most likley using a pedal powered lathe at times if that.These are good points.I really like this uke and feel that the seller will get a good offer But....thru the years I have had my hands on ukuleles made by Dias,Santos,Nunes and numerous other bulders in the teens,from both Honolulu and Hilo and this offset on a quality instument surprised me.Oh Well...IMUA.

Awww, I think it's precious. Inperfections give these beautiful, hand made, solid wood ukes character. I actually Like it better than the slick, glossy, blingy ukes.

Maybe the employee who made it had a few too many that day! or the light bulb David eluded to, was burned out !

Top Bottom