Guess what I got from Jerry at Boat Paddle today...

All the waiting and anticipation will be well worth it, John. I've had my BP "Twins" for a couple of months now, and I love them more and more each day. Is this a baritone or tenor? Come on up to the MightyMo in July, would be great to meet you. We need lots of pics when she arrives. The good life gets even better.

Congratulations in advance! It looks from the pictures like it still needs the tuning machines to be installed on the headstock.
Yeah...I'm assuming he considers that part of the setup. Oil finishes require a certain amount of rubbing so I'm thinking he probably drills the holes after applying the finish...I think that's what I'd do, anyway.

John

If I were you John, I'd spend the extra money and get tuners. ;)

Looks great, hope you get it in your hands soon

BWAA-HAAAA. Well, Jerry tried to talk me into them but I told him my budget was blown so I'd just have to hammer some nails into the headstock when it gets here. :)

John

WOW! I wasn't expecting it to look that nice! There are some interesting and tasteful design elements there. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks...Jerry is really a delight to work with. He doesn't push anything at you but does tell you if something you've asked for might not be an ideal choice. I was going for a fairly understated look and I'd specified simple maple binding on the front and back with no purfling. (I basically look at binding as just a way to hide/protect the edge of the top and back and I was thinking about contrast with the walnut sides and back.) When he was getting ready to start adding the binding he explained that the maple wouldn't have any contrast against the spruce top and recommended that I either add purfling or change the binding. So I went with ebony binding and now that I see it I think it's perfect.

John

That's mighty nice John, built well I'm sure. Here's my foray into the mandolele world, from Vietnam, tenor, solid spruce top, solid curly maple body, not very good construction, but beautiful design and finish. Won it on an eBay auction for $51 US. Took some work by Brad from Anacapa/U-Space to set it up.

That's interesting, kind of an "A" style mandolin but assymetrical.

Congratulations, it looks a stunner,what are the woods etc!!
Graham

Top is spruce. Sides, back, and headstock overlay are walnut. Fret board and binding are ebony. I purposely asked for the fret board not to be bound because I wanted the fingernail fret markers to show from the side.

All the waiting and anticipation will be well worth it, John. I've had my BP "Twins" for a couple of months now, and I love them more and more each day. Is this a baritone or tenor? Come on up to the MightyMo in July, would be great to meet you. We need lots of pics when she arrives. The good life gets even better.

Thanks, man. Yeah, the wait was not bad at all. If I remember right I ordered in late January or early February and I told Jerry not to rush because I was getting a bonus check in mid-March so I didn't really want to pay for it before then anyway.

This one is a tenor, the M model. This time next year I'm thinking I may ask him to build me a 5-string baritone "big brother" to this one. That advance planning was part of the reason that I ordered an M model instead of the ML. I wanted the tenor and baritone (assuming I do get one) to have distinctly different voices, not just different scales and tunings on the same body and I think the ML tenor is basically the M baritone body with a shorter neck.

Thanks all - if I missed a question from any of you I apologize!

John

That's interesting, kind of an "A" style mandolin but assymetrical.

Top is spruce. Sides, back, and headstock overlay are walnut. Fret board and binding are ebony. I purposely asked for the fret board not to be bound because I wanted the fingernail fret markers to show from the side.

Thanks, man. Yeah, the wait was not bad at all. If I remember right I ordered in late January or early February and I told Jerry not to rush because I was getting a bonus check in mid-March so I didn't really want to pay for it before then anyway.

This one is a tenor, the M model. This time next year I'm thinking I may ask him to build me a 5-string baritone "big brother" to this one. That advance planning was part of the reason that I ordered an M model instead of the ML. I wanted the tenor and baritone (assuming I do get one) to have distinctly different voices, not just different scales and tunings on the same body and I think the ML tenor is basically the M baritone body with a shorter neck.

Thanks all - if I missed a question from any of you I apologize!

John

Correct, John. The ML tenor is the same size body as the M baritone. However, they sound totally different. I asked Jerry how he accomplishes this and he told me that it's done by changing the scale length, the bracing, bridge placement, and, of course, a gcea Worth string set. The difference is amazing. With the same concerns as yours, I had the tenor strung high g. Now I have replaced the re-entrant g with a low g. The tonal difference is still pronounced. Having said that, for full disclosure, I am partial to the more resonate lower range emphasis as opposed to the traditional "Hawaii" ukelele sound. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

A new turd for you to polish or has that been said many times before!!
Graham

Received a report regarding this post. Looking at your later post in this thread, this one looks to me to be a joke, albeit a poorly executed one. It may behoove you to consider actually being funny next time. ;)

Thanks...Jerry is really a delight to work with. He doesn't push anything at you but does tell you if something you've asked for might not be an ideal choice. I was going for a fairly understated look and I'd specified simple maple binding on the front and back with no purfling. (I basically look at binding as just a way to hide/protect the edge of the top and back and I was thinking about contrast with the walnut sides and back.) When he was getting ready to start adding the binding he explained that the maple wouldn't have any contrast against the spruce top and recommended that I either add purfling or change the binding. So I went with ebony binding and now that I see it I think it's perfect.

John

Good advice from Jerry. Binding always adds a nice finished look as well some sound board protection. I've had a couple of Jerry's instruments, only 1 custom to my choices. All sounded great. But I think he improves his designs continuously. Noticed a recent mahogany Kayak was lightler with more open sounding than one (a prototype ) from about 7 years back.

Received a report regarding this post. Looking at your later post in this thread, this one looks to me to be a joke, albeit a poorly executed one. It may behoove you to consider actually being funny next time. ;)

Bwaa-haaa. It's all good Seeso...I got the joke. Of course, I know what's in my sig line and a lot of people probably don't pay any attention to it.

Although...come to think of it we probably could all take a note about commenting on things that are in sigs without being explicit about what we're doing because when the sig is changed later it changes for all posts, including earlier ones, because the forum software adds the sig to each post as it is rendered for display. A year from now if I dream up another smart-@$$ sig that post could really look like a nasty dig from out of nowhere!

John

Last edited:
Hi Stan,

Looks like I'll probably get it later this week or early next week. No rush at all...I'm very patient...

(yeah, right) LOL

John

Sorry if this caused a problem for someone,jokes are are as personal as you are(in my humble opinion). I wouldnt have put this comment on anybody else's page as that would be stupid but what do I know!!

Sorry if this caused a problem for someone,jokes are are as personal as you are(in my humble opinion). I wouldnt have put this comment on anybody else's page as that would be stupid but what do I know!!

No worries, Graham. Thanks for coming back to the thread and clearing the air. :shaka:

Uh...how many ukes...uhm...well...let's just say I'm not as uke bound as some and not as uke poor as others... LOL

Seriously, though, it will be two baritones, four tenors, two concerts, two longneck sopranos, two sopranos, and the Pineapple Sunday (I guess that could count as a fifth tenor since it's a tenor scale).

I am going to be paring the herd down some though. I plan to sell one of the sopranos (it's in the marketplace right now, I suppose I should think about "bumping" it), two of the tenors, one of the concerts (Eleuke solid-body concert I've had for a couple of years and never play now that I don't have to go into the office anymore), and maybe the KoAloha longneck soprano though I don't want to sell it until I get the factory to check it out and repair it if need be. I finally discovered why I was having intonation problems with that one, the top is dishing in front of the bridge significantly enough to pull the top of the saddle forward. I think it was doing it a little before as I had to build up a bone bridge saddle with a "bump" to get the intonation acceptable...then when I put Alohi tenor strings on it it quickly got worse (the latter kind of my fault, I guess one might say, though it had to be dishing even before the Alohi strings, I just never thought to put a straight edge on it and didn't realize what was going on). I might even sell one of the baritones, or possibly even both if I have Jerry build me a baritone next year.

John

Last edited:
Hey John,
Congratulations. It looks beautiful. I played about 10 of Jerry's ukuleles this summer. I think they're the best you can buy. They have the very best intonation of any ukuleles, the sound is full and consistent from top to bottom. Jerry is obviously one of the best builders around.
Are you getting the hitch-pins or a conventional nut? Jerry does a great job with either, but I had trouble with the hitch-pins. Kind of threw me off when bending a note.
I don't know if you've actually played a Boat Paddle ukulele. If not, you're in for a thrill!

Hey John,
Congratulations. It looks beautiful. I played about 10 of Jerry's ukuleles this summer. I think they're the best you can buy. They have the very best intonation of any ukuleles, the sound is full and consistent from top to bottom. Jerry is obviously one of the best builders around.
Are you getting the hitch-pins or a conventional nut? Jerry does a great job with either, but I had trouble with the hitch-pins. Kind of threw me off when bending a note.
I don't know if you've actually played a Boat Paddle ukulele. If not, you're in for a thrill!

I didn't specify a conventional nut so I assume it will be the pin type. I kind of like the idea of the pin type because it pretty much ends worries over whether a thicker or thinner string set will change the setup. I don't do much bending on uke but I can see where that could be a problem.

I think I may have briefly played a Kayak at UWC 2011, before I even knew what Boat Paddle ukuleles were. :) I know I've heard the Dawgs playing theirs up close and personal and definitely liked what I heard. Of course, those guys could probably play a fence post and make it sound good!

John

Top Bottom