Am i going to break the bridge of my Ukulele?

Shibbythatsme

Reaction score
Hello, i recently made a ukulele strap out of an old iphone charger. It's very sturdy but someone on instagram said that I would be creating a lot of tension on the bridge, ultimately pulling it off and wanted to know if there was any validity to that claim.
Thank you!

Attachments

• uk.jpg
    uk.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 152
Maybe yes, maybe no, I don't think I'd risk it. There's already enough tension on the bridge.,

Maybe yes, maybe no, I don't think I'd risk it. There's already enough tension on the bridge.,

+1 There's already a lot of tension on the bridge. You'd be adding the weight of the ukulele plus any added pressure from your arm resting on the uke. Plus, you'd be exerting added tension in a different direction than that caused by the strings. There's probably a good reason why you don't see any guitar/uke straps out there designed to fasten to the bridge. I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk it, but I give you points for creativity! If you have a longer cord that you want to recycle, maybe tie it around the "waist" of the uke instead?

Bad idea. It's one of those things that will probably be okay forever and then you jerk hard on the strap accidentally and bad things happen.

Plenty of low cost strap solutions out there. There are several really informative threads that come up if you search straps.

Also, my local music store did a video on ukulele straps:

Last edited:
This might be a bit OT, but as a confirmed strap user, my favorite quote from the above video is: "You're not a sissy if you put a strap on. At least I don't think so."

woah - I wouldn't trust that.

Seriously dude - just screw a strap button in - takes 2 minutes!

I agree, a strap button instalation costs hardly anything in time or money. Ukulele straps can be found cheap. I have straps on all my ukuleles.

A big +1 for a strap button. The only real reason not to use a strap button is because you've got a valuable or vintage uke you don't want to modify. Obviously what you've done to the bridge goes way beyond that, so use a button.

FYI, when there is a good reason not to use a button you can use the "Command" brand anchors available at wally world. I use the ones for routing wires and such. They hold quite strongly but a simple pull on the tab of the adhesive strip will make them release without leaving any residue. You do have to be cautious about one thing...I haven't found any with a completely enclosed ring or anything so you don't want to try a rockstar move and try to spin the uke and strap around your neck...unless you like looking like a foolish rock-star wannabe with a broken uke. LOL

John

Well that's an interesting set up lol. Yeah, like everyone else said, don't use that. Not even because it's not good for your uke, but because knowing apple prices, a strap is probably cheaper than that charger was haha

"FYI, when there is a good reason not to use a button you can use the "Command" brand anchors available at wally world."

-What a great idea!

I can't actually claim credit for it. I caught it from a young lady on YouTube. I don't recall her channel.

John

Top Bottom