PA Decision...

pektel

Reaction score
So, I recently bought a multi effects pedal (line6 x3 live), and now I am in the market for an active PA speaker to go with it.

At first I was sold on the Yamaha MSR100. But tonight I'm reading some good things about the Kustom PA50. Big difference in price (Kustom is $99, the Yamaha is $299).

Has anyone here played their uke through both of these? Or at least the MSR100? I'm afraid the 4.5" drivers on the Kustom aren't going to have enough punch.

FWIW, I have a MiSi pickup installed in a Kala SMHT.

Thanks in advance!

I can't say that I have tried the Kustom PA50 yet a 4.5" driver sounds too small for a decent all-round PA system. I'd be looking at a Behringer 8 or 10 inch powered speaker before the Kustom. Actually, I reviewed a couple of Behringer all in one PA systems a couple of years ago. The EPA300 with the 8" speakers was a decent little system but the EPA150 with the smaller speakers was woeful and I really went into the shop WANTING to like it based on its size and price.

Anyway for general PA use I would go with larger speakers.

Anthony

What anthonyg says - with PA systems, like much else, you get what you pay for. A small driver like that is not really going to cut it for performances. Perhaps ok for private practice, but not to an audience - our pair are 15's!

The Powerwerks PW50/Kustom PA50 is the only P.A. system in it's price range that I've used and own that I consider professional and gig ready. Bigger is better is an paradigm I was stuck in for decades as a sound engineer and performer. We still use larger systems when playing 10 acre gigs, but the PA50 works well in a number of public venues. With instruments like an acoustic electric guitar or an acoustic electric 'ukulele, these low profile units pack a big punch of wide range, natural sound. The PA50 is modular, so you can add as many as you like by linking them together with microphone cables. We recently had a paid gig at a private large back yard birthday party. We recon most of the gigs we play in advance, to make sure we bring the right equipment. At this gig we were stuck in a corner of a one acre party and needed 3 sectors of sound coverage to make it work. Our bass player used his Mark Bass (bass is non-directional) and we ran 6 microphones hot through 3 PA50's to pick up the 'ukulele and vocals. The PA50's were connected to each other with microphone cables, so each one was receiving the input of all the 'ukulele and vocals. While they fed us at the break, we plugged an MP3 player into one of the PA50's and the sound subsequently played through all of the PA50's. One of the many nice features of the PA50's is that you can do very well performing with just one and add others later as you like. Here's some photos from that gig:

CraigAndTheCruisers1.jpg

CraigAndTheCruisers2.jpg

CraigAndTheCruisers3.jpg

CraigAndTheCruisers4.jpg

About 4 years back, I was in Guitar Center checking out sound reinforcement gear. I came across a Kustom PA50 and intrigued by its size, specs and versatility:

KustomPA501.jpg

KustomPA502.jpg

It shows a list price of $159 bucks, but they sell them for $99 bucks:

KustomPA503.jpg

I searched the Guitar Center website, Musician’s Friend website and Kustom Amps website, but did not find any reference to this system. When I searched PowerWerks, I came up with:

http://powerwerks.com/pages/PA-Systems-8.aspx

http://powerwerks.com/ContentHandler.ashx?ID=87 Owners manual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZk33_3GmE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL-RzN98VT0

http://www.youtube.com/user/GenoKreis?blend=5&ob=5#p/u/0/0xIY65YWEi0

The frontal shows the two 4.5” drivers and the high frequency horn:

KustomPA504.jpg

You can also note the rugged construction and the protective steel speaker grill. In addition, each corner is protected.

The rear view shows the three channels, controls, inputs and outputs. I was asked if the XLR and ¼” inputs could be used at the same time, so I plugged a microphone and instrument into both jacks on both channels. All can be used at the same time:

KustomPA505.jpg

One of the long sides has a carrying handle and the bottom has four rubber feet:

KustomPA506.jpg

The bottom has a speaker stand adaptor and four rubber feet:

KustomPA507.jpg

Here it is shown mounted on an OnStage speaker stand:

KustomPA508.jpg

I'm not discounting larger equipment. Here's some of my gear I was staging for a much larger gig two weeks ago. Have you ever lifted up a 15" speaker cabinet to mount it high enough on a speaker stand to get above the audience for coverage and minimalize feedback?:

StagingForGig.jpg

Rich, it was your posts you just put here that were one of my main reasons for doubting investing in the msr100. I'm pretty sure I read those when searching the forums here :)

Thanks for posting them here too! I wish there were a place nearby me to go try them out. But the closest guitar center is a four hour drive. :(

Well try the Kustom system out yet I've heard Bose systems made up of those small speakers and I still didn't like the more expensive Bose PA. Everyone to their own. I wouldn't go as large as 15" for a PA speaker. 15" speakers are for amplifying bass and drums. A 10" speaker seems to be a sweet size for a singer/ukulele/guitar without a heavy back line as they are clearer than the bigger speakers and MUCH lighter to lug around.

Anthony

I agree, anthonyg. One of my battery powered P.A. systems is a Carvin S400D with the extra battery and 810 extension speaker. It uses 10's for the low drivers and does very well with a bass guitar. I use it for remote gigs where the use time is 3 hours or less. Although Carvin claims 6 hours with the extra battery, it's really only 3 hours. Here's some photo's of how I fit that system into the trunk of my Ford Focus:

Here’s the gear stacked in the front door hallway. 1 Carvin S400D Stagemate P.A. system, 1 Carvin 810 Extension Speaker, 3 Roland Cube Street’s, 2 Roland Microcube RX’s, 1 Roland Microcube Bass Rx, 1 Roland Microcube, 5 Camp Stools, 6 Adjustable Boom Microphone stands, 2 Speaker Stands and 6 large recyclable (grocery store bags) that are double bagged for strength:

BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus.jpg

I took out the contents of these bags to show what’s inside and to rewind the cables for better order:

BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus2.jpg

Here’s the stands and camp stools:

BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus3.jpg

Next I reloaded all that equipment into the trunk:

BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus4.jpg

Well try the Kustom system out yet I've heard Bose systems made up of those small speakers and I still didn't like the more expensive Bose PA. Everyone to their own. I wouldn't go as large as 15" for a PA speaker. 15" speakers are for amplifying bass and drums. A 10" speaker seems to be a sweet size for a singer/ukulele/guitar without a heavy back line as they are clearer than the bigger speakers and MUCH lighter to lug around.

Anthony

Keep in mind the $99 buck price when you try them out, anthonyg. I have not found anything close to the professional performance of the Kustom PA50 in the $99 buck price range. Ric

Well, I was shopping online on Monday, adn ALMOST bought the MSR100. Then, samash had the msr250 priced insanelyl low. $219.99 shipped. I bought one. I had problems ordering online, so I called in to place the order. They gave me a discount for my troubles ordering, so I decided to add an extra msr250.

Got the pair for $396!

I've been quite happy with the road-worthiness of Carvins. We use the AG100D for 90% of our performances

Top Bottom