Grafted Pistachio and Curly Redwood tenor nearing completion

The uke is finished. I just got some updated pics. With any luck I should have it by the weekend.

017_zps266ea1c4.jpg

024_zpscad571ae.jpg

021_zpsab6bbbcd.jpg

019_zpsfa15c4ef.jpg

that's just nutty...

Fine looking instrument.

Hodge, that curly redwood is one of the most beautiful pieces of wood used on a sound board that I have ever seen. Oh ya, the rest of it is not too shabby either LOL. Truly lovely, the builder has a great artistic eye.

This is so beautiful! Do you have it yet? How's it playing? I would love to hear a clip!

This is so beautiful! Do you have it yet? How's it playing? I would love to hear a clip!

Thanks. Still awaiting shipping. I'll post a sound clip when it arrives. Fred, the builder said it sounded really, really good. He wanted to make sure everything was fine before sending it off.

New Uke Day!

The grafted pistachio/curly redwood tenor from Fred at Leeward Lounge arrived today.

It looks as good in person as it did in the pictures. The uke is new and just beginning to open up, the Worth browns are still stretching and settling, but it still sounds very good. It's got excellent intonation and tone, the volume is good, not great.

As promised here is a sound sample of it on day 1. https://app.box.com/s/i61zviwvxgkhi5ibdv32

Here's a couple new pics, too. The wood colors, figure, and composition are striking.

P1060653_zpscc30af4c.jpg

P1060658_zps96108e2d.jpg

P1060654_zpsd4c858da.jpg

P1060657_zps02d880a8.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd share some pics I just received of a curly redwood & grafted pistachio tenor from the Leeward Lounge; it is nearing completion.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thats pretty :)

Thanks for sharing the sound clip. It does sound as nice as it looks (what a unique and cool design!). I hope you'll share another in the future as it opens up.

Excellent pics from your patio, Doc! : ) Love that back side figuring. Congratulations!

The wood looks really nice! It sounds nice too, high clarity and sweet. Congratulations!

Still lovely and striking! It sounds quite lively. I hope you are enjoying the beautiful looks and sound!

Thought I would add an update to the thread.

I did a couple little improvements (new bone nut with more even/wider spacing, raise saddle, and re-bevel the fret ends) and this uke really plays easy and sounds amazingly good. The redwood and pistachio and builder were a good combination. The trebles are very chime-like and yet there is some nice warmth to the sound. See what you think. https://app.box.com/s/3u2aeqlf5h957xinvtw2

While I am trying to reduce my number of ukes, this one is too pretty looking and sounding to leave.

P1060814_zpsaf3cd5ae.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool and so unique. I can see why you want to hang onto that.

Top Bottom