Season 112 of the Ukulele: The Primate House

Annnnnnd just under the wire!!!

A little ska for ya: Here is "Monkey Man" by The Specials!

I left the bloopers in the beginning because I thought they were funny! I hope you all get a little giggle out of it too! Also, don't mind my laughing near the end, sometimes the faces I make crack me up they are so ridiculous. Also...this song just cracks me up...so I had a bunch of fun filming it. I think John will be happy I got it out of my system because I've been singing it (loudly) around the house all week!

There's still a whole day left. Seasons go for 8 days, Sunday to Sunday. So Sunday is always part of two Seasons, the first day of one and the last day of another.

Late for me anyhow lol
My week has been super busy.

Howdy Gang and boy what a fab theme for this week, many thanks for hosting Jim and great entries everyone.
Well here is my official entry for this week, this was a classic novelty song from the 1970's when i was knee high to a grasshopper, I know the Goodies are known in Australia, but i am not sure if they are known states side, anyway here is my song, i had fun doing it :smileybounce:

bonesigh - Thus Spake Zarathustra (Strauss) - Nothing says evolution like splintering bones while a tapir falls down. I didn't remember those ape suits as looking remotely that cheesy. It's interesting to hear this on a ukulele. But my heart still belongs to the Temple City Kazoo Orchestra version. Classical music on a uke is tough. The fast pieces have too many notes per second for most of us to manage, and the slow pieces like this have long held notes, which don't lend themselves to an instrument that has the sustain of an eye-blink.

Concertina - Monkey Man (Specials) - Yes! Well done, Maria. It's been a good week for reggae and ska. It was good of you to leave your blooper in the video. I always cut mine out, because they tend to involve a fair amount of swearing. This was a cover of the Toots & the Maytals song that they wrote to tease their producer, Leslie Kong. Wow, according to Wikipedia this song has also been covered by Sublime, Reel Big Fish, No Doubt, Amy Winehouse, and Adam Ant. (And the Wiggles.)

dktoller - Tweeter and the Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys) - Nice. You did a good job with that instrumental line after the chorus. I was hoping someone would do this song. These long songs are deceptive -- it seems like a simple song, but by the fourth and fifth verse you get to thinking "I do NOT want to have to do this whole thing over again, just let me get through this take."

ukuleledaveey - The Funky Gibbon (Goodies) - This one didn't make it to the US. It was discussed on Page 5 of the Season thread, with the consensus being that no one had the nerve to play it this week. So feel proud that you stepped up into the breach when no one else would dare! There's some gibbons in a small zoo in the next town -- I'll have to see if I can teach them the dance.

This was the ONLY time my bloopers haven't had swearing hahaha so, that's why I left it. But I'm right there with you.

Guess I need to read the rules :rulez:
That's because I specifically made the theme songs about non-human primates. But for a bonus this is fine. Of course, to me the definitive version of this will always be the one by the Temple City Kazoo Orchestra.

And congratulations on your new bunnies. We keep ours in the kitchen. But we have a pretty big kitchen. And a pretty small bunny.

Oh man the rhinovirus is a cruel mistress. I just have no voice to sing. I have the little white uke too! I have tried to record it a few times but invariably start coughing 3/4 of the way through the first verse. I'll probably tack it on here anyways as soon as I can get through it...

The 112th Season is now over. Thanks to everybody who participated. Pueo, you're welcome to post your song when you can, and I'll put it on the Bonus Tracks playlist.

We had 46 official entries and 28 bonus songs. There were a whopping 11 original songs (pabrizzer appears to have deleted "Little Monkeys", which was a 12th), and that's not counting Tootler coming up with original music for an old poem. You put in a lot of creative effort this week, and I greatly appreciate it. I'll try to be prompt with selecting the winners.

YAYYY!!!! Grats to the winners!!

Another great season...although I'm starting to think that it's a requirement to get sick after you host one!!

Feel better!!!

Yippy! I'm doing back flips like a monkey:)

Its so fun to be a winner :D

BTW I think that chicken is well coated Jim! :biglaugh:

thanks, Jim for a great week, a great theme, and much simian excitement and excrement tossing in honor of the Lucky Three

Thanks Jim!

More fun than, I could ever imagine! I was tempted to goof around with the rules but decided to eschew the forehead shines. Then I decided to get primed and I ate something and I'll be a person's uncle, you pulled my name along with two other members of our troop!

Whee, that was fun! I hope you are feeling better, Jim. Congrats to the winners ... and we are all winners. I know I am, for one, because I wrote my best song yet, inspired by this theme. And I learned the Monkees theme song, which is fun to sing at parties. :)

Loved all the contributions and originals!

Thanks for a great week!

And, yeah, what's up with hosts always getting sick at the end of their Seasons?! One might think that hosting is hazardous to one's health. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it surely does seem like hosting takes quite a lot and can be a challenge to the host's well-being. I wonder if there's anything we, as a community, can do, to help keep our hosts healthy? Just thinking out loud here ... any ideas how we can make this task sustainable ("happy problem!") as the Seasons continue to grow?

Top Bottom