New York uke players

Rockland County, Nyack specifically, right across the TZ from Westchester. I like Cashew's idea of taking over a diner, maybe on a weeknight?

Somewhwere downtown maybe?

I think I missed a whole page of this post, did you guys ever get together in February?

I think I missed a whole page of this post, did you guys ever get together in February?

don't think so.

If anyone is near Sunnyside (Queens), I think I'm going to try out my first ever open mic on this Friday. 7 train @ 40th st.

Brooklyn here! Just got back from Hawaii and bought a 'uke! I love it. Been playing guitar for a long time and play in a couple of bands ranging from electric rock (Dead, Allmans) and acoustic music with bluegrass/americana influences. I plan on sliding the 'uke in on the acoustic band. I'll posta link at the end.

Anyways -

I would love to join a uke club - or help start one. I'm a member of the Rockaway Artist Alliance (www.rockawayartistalliance.com) maybe I can talk to them about helping out.

Keep me in the loop if something comes up!!! Thanks.

Brooklyn here! Just got back from Hawaii and bought a 'uke! I love it. Been playing guitar for a long time and play in a couple of bands ranging from electric rock (Dead, Allmans) and acoustic music with bluegrass/americana influences. I plan on sliding the 'uke in on the acoustic band. I'll posta link at the end.

Anyways -

I would love to join a uke club - or help start one. I'm a member of the Rockaway Artist Alliance (www.rockawayartistalliance.com) maybe I can talk to them about helping out.

Keep me in the loop if something comes up!!! Thanks.

sounds awesome, matty. i think that link was sposed to be .org instead of .com: http://www.rockawayartistsalliance.org/

So this is what has to happen if NYCers are ever going to work this out... 1) We need a location 2)We need a list of everyone who is interested and their schedules

So for #1, what are our options?
-there was the guy who offered his apartment earlier in the flatiron district. Is that option still open? Guy??? Are we still invited?

-There's my teensy Hell's Kitchen apartment which is a studio the size of... um... a shoebox. Seriously, it cannot accomodate more than four or at the most five, and it will be COZY... like you will feel like you are back in college... like I will have to sit in Deech's lap :p

-There is an undefined diner that we just take over. Have any of you any suggestions for that? Is that legal?

-There is- wait until it gets warmer and meet in a park.

Any other options for #1? Any preferences?

yeah, someone has to push this forward...

Remy-

That's the idea; someone has to push this forward.

I'll be back in NYC in April and then I'll help organize but for now I can only encourage from the sidelines.

Really kinda nuts that NYC does not have an active club....

Grey

As an idea, out in Staten Island a few of the parks have classroom spaces that are available for use by permit, I actually know one park thats absolutely beautiful, has parking, and nice rangers... Blue Heron Park. When its warm theres a very lovely outdoor area with tables shaded by trees :) And, since they were more than friendly with pagans chanting and singing and sun-worshipping, I dont think they'll mind Ukers either

The downside is that its on the ass end of Staten Island, its accessible-ish by PT, but its a long trip (much easier if you drive)

If I remember correctly, Permit fees are $25/year... Unfortunately, I dont know of any other good indoor-park-classroom areas in the other boroughs.
Ideas? Thoughts?

Well, I'd go out to staten island. Maybe we could all meet at the ferry and perhaps someone with a car would take us down there. This area has indoors for sure though? It's REALLY cold.

I could ask a couple of my friends in Brooklyn maybe.

Ok, homework everyone, come up with some more suggestions of places or else we do staten island until we can play outside.

And Greypoupon- it might be april before we get this together, so don't confine yourself to the sidelines just yet ;)

I'm up at school near Albany, but I live in North Jersey, not far from NYC.

I'd love it if we could organize some gathering over the summer outside somewhere :)

Well, I'd go out to staten island. Maybe we could all meet at the ferry and perhaps someone with a car would take us down there. This area has indoors for sure though? It's REALLY cold.

I could ask a couple of my friends in Brooklyn maybe.

Ok, homework everyone, come up with some more suggestions of places or else we do staten island until we can play outside.

And Greypoupon- it might be april before we get this together, so don't confine yourself to the sidelines just yet ;)

Yeah Remy-- A group I used to run ran festival's there through the winter when we had too many people to hold at someones house..

I should add in, if we are going to use the park we have to reserve the classroom 3 weeks (21 days) in advance.

Additionally after getting off the phone with a very pleasant park ranger, she's mailing me a permit application (I dont mind footing the money for the permit if we choose to go this way), and a list of dates that We'd be able to use the indoor classroom...

The only thing we'd need would be a name to reserve it under. :)

Its an idea :) I'd really love to get to jam with other folks.
--Nut

isn't there a tiki bar on 14th st somewhere between union square and 2ndish on the south side of the street? seems like that kind of place wouldn't mind us there. i may be in that area this weekend (i heard there was a new ramen place bet. 1st and 2nd on 14th and its sposed to be good) if i'm over there, ill stop in and ask.

isn't there a tiki bar on 14th st somewhere between union square and 2ndish on the south side of the street? seems like that kind of place wouldn't mind us there. i may be in that area this weekend (i heard there was a new ramen place bet. 1st and 2nd on 14th and its sposed to be good) if i'm over there, ill stop in and ask.

You're thinking of Otto's Shrunken head, I dunno if they're an appropriate venue for a jam, but they do have open mics
here-- lookie http://www.ottosshrunkenhead.com/php/events.php

I Reallyyy want to go to the ukefest, little intimated tho.
There are lots of ways to jam with other players when you're not that good yet:

- Practice the chord changes but don't strum
- Play every other chord and change chords during the ones you're not playing
- Pick one chord and only play when that chord comes up in the song
- Strum a chord once after the change then change to the next chord and wait for everyone else
- Mute the strings and practice the strumming pattern only

Ok, folkies, I got the papers from the lovely ranger Roseanna at Blue Heron Park, in Staten island...

This is what they say:
The park classroom is available every 3rd thursday, and every 2nd friday of each month, (they're pretty well booked) from 7-9 PM.

The park fee to use the classroom is $25, and will cover 3 months of meetings.

Let me know what ya'll think, I happen to be available this third thurs-- which would be the 19th... Even if we can get I guess 5 of us together it'd be worth it.(And, if you guys get back to me, we can have a nice indoor meeting, which I think would be quite cool.)

Top Bottom