Tanglewood

RAB11

Reaction score
Anyone got experience with a 'normal' Tanglewood uke vs a Cove Creek model? Looking like I can get a Cove Creek TU9 w/pickup for cheaper than I thought but it has to be ordered from the supplier, and I can't find any videos or play the actual uke to know if I like the sound or not.

I have played a soprano Cove Creek as well a 'normal' Tanglewood concert and liked the sound of both, so is the Cove Creek thing just a cosmetic decision or will it be a similar sound? Because I really like the look of the Cove Creek version, but I don't want to buy a new uke without hearing it.

Attachments

• covecreektu9.jpg
    covecreektu9.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 20
The cove creek ones are solid wood, I think :S Atleast for that concert mahogany cove creek with the slothead, it is

Ah, the one I'm looking at isn't a slothead. And £110 seems a bit cheap for solid wood.

That will make a difference compared to the 'normal' ones which I know are laminate then. Cheers.

Don't take my word for it though, you can always search your model up on google and it'll tell you all the specs!

Also, the laminate regular 'tanglewood' ones are nice to play. I bought one as a gift for my friend and he absolutely loved it.

Yeah I've been doing some digging and there's not a lot of info out there. Very little info on this particular uke anyway, but I've found some info on other Cove Creeks and it looks like they're solid top and laminate body, but I can't seem to find any info on a 'regular' TU9 anywhere so I don't know how they differ.

I'll keep digging though, cheers for the the tip, I just assumed I'd be looking at laminate in my budget!

Just had another look on Tanglewood's website, it specifies Solid Mahogany on the TU10, which is the slot head concert you were talking about, RRP £250. So I can assume the TU9, with an RRP of half that and only saying Mahogany on the product page is a laminate, and I'm sure I've seen a review of a 'normal' TU9 saying it's laminate too, so I'm going to assume the Cove Creek stuff is just cosmetics.

Ah, yeah, if it doesn't state that it's solid, it's most likely laminate. But laminates can be nice too!

As I said, in my budget I was only expecting a laminate anyway. I'm not looking for absolute perfect tone or anything like that, I just need to step up from my Dolphin. So it's between the Tanglewood and a Kala but I'm not gonna be able to get it for a while anyway.

A bit more digging and it seems there's no such thing as a 'normal' TU9. The TU9 is just part of their Cove Creek series.

Think it's the one I'm gonna go for although in some pictures I've seen it has a dovetailed fretboard which looks really nice, and on others it goes all the way to the soundboard which I'm not keen on.

I have a Tanglewood Cove Creek concert, the TU 7XM. It's laminate, I love it, the sound is great and it's my go-to uke all the time. That particular one may be discontinued now, I've been playing mine solidly for two years. But I do recommend...... lovely ukes!

I have a Tanglewood Cove Creek concert, the TU 7XM. It's laminate, I love it, the sound is great and it's my go-to uke all the time. That particular one may be discontinued now, I've been playing mine solidly for two years. But I do recommend...... lovely ukes!

Thanks Lesley! Funnily enough, while digging around on the interwebs looking for info on this thing I did actually stumble upon your blog about the TUX7.

I'm getting more and more convinced, I just need to sort out the pesky details like money now.

Thanks Lesley! Funnily enough, while digging around on the interwebs looking for info on this thing I did actually stumble upon your blog about the TUX7.

I'm getting more and more convinced, I just need to sort out the pesky details like money now.
If you can get into a shop that sells Tanglewoods, you'll know whether you rate them. I know three people who have bought them and rate them as highly as I do.... but there's nothing like comparing them for yourself, before you buy! Good luck with it!

Top Bottom