Song Help Request Because (by Guy d' Hardelot)

dadarchy

Reaction score
Aloha uke masters,

I am very interested in learning this song but was not able to find any free sheet music or tab around. There is very nice ukulele cover by james hill here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XlBMrFatnU

It should not be so hard...could someone help to figure it out?

Thanks

I've also been itched by that James Hill cover, I haven't got around to figuring it out though. If I do before anyone else does, trust me - I'll be posting here. Sharing is caring! :D

After squinting at a preview of a music sheet download, it looks like James has used it almost verbatim with a few bits of flourish. He's definately using some diminished and 7th chords, it's just difficult to tell from the video - because it's got all those sepia and aging effects added :(

What I've got so far is (chords, not tabs, and the italian-grish lyrics):

Intro riff:
Not sure yet, seems to end in a 5th fret bar or a similar 7th chord. James then plucks the open C chord before moving on

Intro:
Once through the verse chords while humming the tune. If you have a friend to give you a beat, on the back of another uke or on a table as in the video, here's the place for them to start.

Song:
(Bb) Because, you come to (Bmaj7) me,
With naught save (F7) love,
And (G/B) hold my (Cm) hand and (Cm7) lift mine (Cm7/F) eyes (F7) above,
A (Bb7sus) wider (Bb7) world of hope and joy I (Eb) see, (Edim)
(Bb) Because (F7) you come to (Bb)me!

[1]

Because (Bb7) you speak to me in accents (Bbmaj7)sweet, [2]
I (G/B) find the (Cm) roses (Cm7) waking (Cm7/F) 'round my (F7) feet
And (Bb7sus) I am (Bb7) led through tears and joy to (Eb) thee, (Edim) [3]
(Bb) Because (F7) you speak to (Bb) me!

[4]

(Bb) Because God made thee (Bbmaj7) mine,
I’ll cherish (F7) thee, love
Through the (G/B) light and (Cm) darkness (Cm7) through all (Cm7/F) time to (F7) be,
And (Bb7sus) pray His (Bb7)love may make our love (Eb) divine, (Edim)
(Bb) Because (F7) God made thee (Bb)mine!

Outro:
Repeat the last line, or use the same chords and sing "Because (pause while strumming) you're mine"

Outro riff:
Not sure at this point. Having someone around to whack a wineglass with a spoon would be handy :D

Notes for some optional flourish:
1. At this point James either plays some chords quickly or he does three stronger strokes of Bb
2. James does a quick slide and back, it looks like Adim -> Bdim -> Adim
3. In this line James strokes mostly downwards only
4. At this point in the video James pauses and you can hear his friend's tapping of the table. You can replicate this pause by tapping the front of the uke twice

There you go, it's definately not 100% accurate, especially when you watch where James' hands are relative to the chords listed here, but it's a start. I'm personally not a fan of the Bb7sus and would appreciate any input into a better chord!

Hopefully someone can use this as a base to tab/chord up something more accurate :anyone:

For the split chords, I play the G out of G/B, and the F out of Cm7/F, simply because it's easier to move on to the next chords... they sound about right too.

Last edited:
Thanks Whetu.......Like you said it's a start (and a pretty good one). Thanks from New York...........

Hi there,

I just figured this out today and came across this thread from a google search. Thought some of you guys might be interested. James Hill's version is actually in F, while the sheet music you've been working from is in Bb, which may have confused things a bit. Anyway here's my transcription, let me know if any questions or corrections. You'll have to listen for some of the timing, especially the intro and outro:

Because
(1902, Music: Guy d'Hardelot, Lyrics: Edward Teschemacher)
Arranged by James Hill
Transcribed by Jacob Morrison

Intro
G#dim(4th fret) G7(3rd fret) | Gm7 Gm7(3rd fret) F#m7 (slides down a fret) |
C7 (rises frets 345 on the top string) | F6 F Fmaj7 (all 5th fret) | Gm7 Gbdim (both 6th fret) | F6(5th fret) |

(Humming)+Verse 1:
Fmaj7 | F6 | Am7 | Am6 |
Gm7 | C7 | D9 | Gm7 |
Gm7 | C7 | F7 | F7 (with little finger, or 2nd time he plays F9 ) |
Bb6 | Bdim | F | Gm7 C7 |
F | % | (2nd time i think he plays Fadd9: frets 0010)

Bridge:
F9 | % | Bb6 | Bb6(3rd fret) A6 Bb6 (slide back & forth) |
G7(3rd fret) | G7(open) | Cm7 | Cm6 |
A7 | % | Dm Dmmaj7 | Dm7 Dmmaj7 |
C7sus4 | % | C7 (runs down frets 2-1-0 on C string) | % |

Last Verse/Outro:
Fmaj7 | F6 | Am7 | Am6 |
Gm7 | C13(fret3) | D9 | Gm7 |
C13 | C7#5 | Cm6 | F7 |
Bb6 | Bdim | F(with little finger) | Gm7 C7 |
F | D7 | Gm7 | C13 |
F(fret 5) C7sus4(fret 5) | Db7(fret 6) F(fret 5) F6/9(fret 2) |

Give me a shout if you're unsure of any of the chord shapes, though here's some to start you off: Am7 is played 2433, Am6=D9=2423, Cm6=F9=2333, C13 is 3453, C7#5 is 3443, Gm7=Bb6=0211 or 3535, the end chord F6/9 is 2233)

Last edited:
A lot of time James is tuned up to "D"
The chord shapes are the same, but he is a full step higher.

Hi there,

I just figured this out today and came across this thread from a google search. Thought some of you guys might be interested. James Hill's version is actually in F, while the sheet music you've been working from is in Bb, which may have confused things a bit. Anyway here's my transcription, let me know if any questions or corrections. You'll have to listen for some of the timing, especially the intro and outro

Hey! Thanks so much for that, I'll give it a shot when I get home from work and let you know :) I'd put this on the backburner yet again and had just got around to attacking it a couple of days ago. I'd found this and I was trying out different keys, but you've possibly saved me the bother :)

Yup, that's true, however in the video comments it's confirmed to be standard tuned uke :)

Last edited:

Thanks SailingUke. I think if you play along you'll find he's definitely tuned to C - you can hear the open strings ringing on certain chords, and you can see his hand forming F shapes.

I'd found this and I was trying out different keys.

It's interesting to compare James Hill's version with that one. Apart from the key change, James has replaced a lot of the V7 chords with ii7-V7 changes.

Anyway let me know how you get on!

Someone asked for a version with the chords aligned with the lyrics, so I had a go at doing that:

Code:
[B]Because[/B]

Arranged by James Hill ([url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XlBMrFatnU[/url])
Transcribed by Jacob Morrison

The basic rhythm is 4 downstrums per chord, except in the intro and outro, where you’ll have to listen to the youtube recording. At the end of verses Gm7-C7 is 2 downstrums each. Fadd9 and some chords in the bridge last for 8 downstrums.

[B]Intro[/B]
G#dim G7* | Gm7   Gm7* F#m7|
C7 (rises frets 345 on the top string) | F6 F Fmaj7 (all 5th fret) | Gm7** Gbdim | F6*  |

[B]Verse[/B]
  Fmaj7 F6           Am7  Am6
Because, you came to me,
                  Gm7   C7
With naught save love
    D9       Gm7                Gm7*   C13
And hold my hand and lift mine eyes above
  F7       F9                      Bb6  Bdim
A brighter world of hope and joy I see, 
  F   Gm7 - C7      Fadd9
Because you came to me!

[B]Bridge[/B]
F9                            Bb6    (B6* A6->Bb6* slide)
Because you speak to me in accent sweet, 
  G7*      G7                   Cm7   Cm6
I find the roses waking 'round my feet, 
    A7                            Dm Dm(maj7) Dm7 Dm(maj7)
and I am drawn through tears and joy to thee, 
  C7sus4                 C7 (run down frets 2-1-0 on C string)
because you speak to me!

[B]Verse 2[/B]
  Fmaj F6             Am7  Am6
Because, God made you mine, 
             Gm7         C13
I’ll cherish you, lo-o-o-ove
       D9        Gm7              C13      C7#5
In the light and darkness all the time, to me
    Cm6            F7                          Bb6  Bdim
and pray that this love will may make our love divine, 
  F    Gm7-C7       F     D7
because     you’re mine!
  Gm7    C13      
because     you’re

[B]Outro[/B]
F* C7sus4* E6 F6*   F6/9 
mine!

[B]Chords:[/B]
(as is often the case in jazz ukulele, the same chord shape can have different names depending on context).

Fmaj7: 2413
F6: 2213
Am7: 2433
Am6=D9: 2423
Gm7=Bb6: 0211
Gm7*=Bb6*: 3535
C7: 0001
C13: 3453
F7: 2310
F9=Cm6: 2333
Bdim: 1212
F=Dmin7: 2010
Fadd9: 0010
A6: 2424
G7*: 4535
G7: 0212
Cm7: 3333
A7: 0100
Dm: 2210
Dm(maj7): 2110
C7sus4: 0011
C7#5: 3443
D7: 2020

[B]Outro Chords:[/B]
F*: 5558
C7sus4*: 6878
E6: 6877
F6*: 7988
the end chord F6/9 is 2233

Last edited:
Hey dude, surround it in [ code ] tags, removing the spaces between the brackets and the word 'code'.

e.g.
[ code ]
Fmaj7 F6 Am7 Am6
Because, you came to me,
[ /code ]

becomes (I'm generalising on the chord positions for the example)

Code:
Fmaj7   F6    Am7    Am6
Because, you came to me,

To make it extra easier, edit the song and chord locations in a monospaced editor like Wordpad or in anything else using a monospaced font such as courier. Then simply copy and paste it into code tags here :)

Thanks for all your hard work jacob!!

ok, I played it through and it's pretty much perfect. It is, however, quite difficult for me, so I took the wikifonia version (trans to F) and yours, merged them, simplified to a reduced number of chords (i.e. a few chords are one finger difference and sound for all intents the same etc) etc and left in a few little bits of flair - in brackets, so classed as optional or for a second ukulele player to break out. This should hopefully make it a stepping stone towards your version. I also went a little freestyle in places, but the gist should be clear :)

Code:
Because

Arranged by James Hill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XlBMrFatnU)

Derived and simplified from Transcription by Jacob Morrison 
and http://www.wikifonia.org/node/5367/ (transposed to key of F)

See the youtube reference for timing

Intro (two downstrums per chord)
F#7 B G7 C7 (C|-0-)

Verse
   F                 Am7  (Am6)
Because, you came to me,
                  Gm7 C7
With naught save love
   D7       Gm7                C7
And hold my hand and lift mine eyes above
F7         F7/A                    Bb  G7
A brighter world of hope and joy I see, 
F-Gm7-C7         F
Because you came to me!

Bridge
F7           F7/A                  Bb    (Bb6->A6->Bb6 slide)
Because you speak to me in accent sweet, 
  G7                              Cm
I find the roses waking 'round my feet, 
    A7                            Dm
and I am drawn through tears and joy to thee, 
  F         Bbm      Gm7 (C|-2-1-0-)
because you speak to me!

Verse 2
  F                   Am
Because, God made you mine, 
             Gm7         C7
I’ll cherish you, lo-o-o-ove
       D7        Gm7              C7      C7#5
In the light and darkness all the time, to be
    F7            F7/A                       Bb  G7
and pray that his love will make our love divine, 
F-Gm7-C7       F       D7
because you’re mine!
F-Gm7-C7       F 
because you’re mine!

Outro (one measure each, finish on F)
Dm Bbm C7 F

Notes:
Gm7 can be swapped with Gm if you're more comfortable with that.

Where F-Gm7-C7 appears, employ a step down strum i.e. F (D, D, U) Gm7 (D, D, U) C7 (D, return to normal measure)

F7   = 2310
F7/A = 2313

They're both "F7" or "F7/A" technically, I use the different names to differentiate the two.  
Perhaps F7/C would be more appropriate for 2313

A6   = 2424
Bb6  = 3535
C7#5 = 3443
F#7  = 3424

Last edited:
I love the fact that some of you obviously want to know how to play this song as much as I do. Last year I went to the Italian Ukulele Festival (from Sydney Oz) and while I was researching it I came across the James Hill version that he did in the restaurant near Vicenza. (posted by Daniela from Aquila Strings) I fell for the song instantly. I just recently did some James Hill workshops at the Cairns UkeFest here in Oz. I took along the lyrics of Because (now signed by James) and mentioned that I couldn't find the chords anywhere. Good on you guys for putting in the work. I have a little surprise. To my total amazement and utter swooning delight, that night, at the final concert James and Anne went on to perform this great song. I was ecstatic! I recorded it on my camera and I'm about to upload it on YouTube. I'll post the link here. I hope you will really enjoy. :))) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySG00RxwHJU&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for the feedback, and nice job on the simplification whetu. I realised that the repeated last line on the last verse shouldn't start with another F (the D7 should lead you back to the Gm7) so you might want to change that on your version as well.

And thanks for posting that version YogaJen. Haha looks like he plays a slightly different arrangement on that one (different intro, structure and key!) His uke is tuned to D, so with the same shapes it puts it in the key of G. Nice to hear it sung in duet!

Last edited:
@jacobm - the chords are very helpful, thanks! are the intro chords spelled out somewhere? i can't seem to find some of them at the bottom of your post.

Really an exceptionally beautiful song, this one. The version I know is Perry Como's from 1948.

I transcribed it from the original sheet music, transposed it to the key of G, and added chord diagrams for ukulele tuned A-E-F#-B. If you're interested, take a look. CLICK HERE FOR THE MUSIC SHEET OF 'BECAUSE'.

Compared the versions above, mine has more chords in it. But if you play the song slowly, like in Perry Como's version, it's do-able. I also maintained some of the complex chords (Emaj9sus4, for instance). They are playable on the uke, and I find that they add flavor that makes the whole thing even prettier.

(If your uke is in G-C-E-A, then you can just play the chord shapes, and it will be in the key of F.)

Top Bottom