Makala Concert Ukulele

Just a little over a month until I hit my one year mark. I planned on posting my last on the Makala on that day, but felt like giving an update today, just because I was playing it and thinking about how well it is treating me. The Makala is going strong. I've gone through three sets of strings, and just installed my fourth set a couple of weeks ago. For you cheap ukulele maligners out there, I will just say again, intonation is spot on, and continues to be spot on. The more I learn about ukuleles, and the more ukuleles I play, the more I appreciate the Makala.

My biggest thing to post about right now is durability. It has been a rough winter for the Makala. It has been going out a lot. It has gone to the beach, got sand in the tuners, gotten rained on a couple of times, and has been subjected to salt air twenty four/ seven for the last two months. It has been out on the streets, and hauled around. I've had to give the tuners a little bit more attention here to keep them from corroding, but minimal attention. I think that if someone made stainless tuners, that would be a good thing.

So far though it seems to be fine. I don't know what they use to finish Makalas with, but it is hard to scratch. There is hardly a scratch on it, and I have not been trying to avoid them. I play it every day, with few exceptions, and there has been no wearing of the finish. The fretboard at one point started showing some light areas where I was playing a lot of chords, but some furniture polish I found under the sink restored it to brand new. As far as the body is concerned, I've done nothing other than wipe it off with a dry cloth on occasion, and with a damp cloth when I come back from the beach. It is still very shiny and no worse for wear.

So at this point, I'm very happy with it, which is evident. I honestly do not have one complaint. I'll post again the first part of April, with my one year report. Until then, keep on strumming.

Keep us in touch, in tune.

I remember the Makala concert as being a little larger than most concerts, which I felt gave it a better sound. Regardless of where you may go, you'll always love your first the best! :)

I have bought the Makala Concert last week, I think it does come with Aquila strings. It are white strings, and there was an Aquila Nylgut card in the package aswell.

My sister and brother will get me a Makala concert uke as a graduation gift by the end of this month, and I'm super excited about it! I won't restring it straight away though, because I think the closest music store doesn't sell any Aquila brand concert uke string sets.

Yesterday was the one year mark for the Makala. Besides reminding everyone that this is my first ukulele, and that I promised myself to play it for a year before I buy anything else, I think that I have already said what there is to say about it. After one year it has served me well. I can not think of one thing that I do not like about it. It is not very fancy looking, but whatever they finish them with, it is hard. I have few scratches or dents in it, and it has not been pampered. I would use the word rugged to describe it. So that is it. I couldn't have picked a better ukulele to start on. I highly recommend it, and this is probably the last post that I will make in my review.

Last edited:
Top Bottom