Firefly plastic fret board or wood?

kwall

Reaction score
I know people love and rave about them all the time and I've read tonnes. Sorry if this is a repost but a couple questions about them. Is the plastic fretboard ok? or should i go for wood? does the walnut/maple make a difference?

as well, how long have you had yours for? has it lasted over the years? just thinking how it doesnt have the banjo head tuners is all

Both are very well made and will work fine. The down sides to the plastic are that the frets will wear out after an extensive amount of play, and they are less visible than the metal frets on the wooden fret board. But, you can highlight the frets easily so they are easy to see, and it's not like they wear out in a week. They'll be fine for years. And the plastic fret board is extremely easy to replace. You get a new one and screw it on. Really that simple. And, I think the manufacturer replaces them for free. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, there.

thanks steve! when you say wear out over years i assume its like hard playing over like 5 years or so

I prefer wood, and bought mine from Elderly.

I just checked, and they have a nice price 268 for the wood fretboard and gig bag.. vs. 298 from the manufacturer.

And they have a 10% coupon code on their page now.. might want to check it out. http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MFBUMAP.htm

Keep in mind this is for the soprano with the rosewood fretboard, the concert size seems to be considerable more at both places, not sure why, I can see if it was a Tenor...

I'm don't care for banjo much but the firefly is great...

yeah, sadly being in canada id prob buy it from my local shop but thanks for the tip on elderly.

thanks steve! when you say wear out over years i assume its like hard playing over like 5 years or so

Yes the plastic will surely last you five years. I imagine you would have to play it very long and very hard to start noticing wear befor that. Keep in mind too that "worn" doesn't mean "worn out".
All this being said, Olarte (a top-notch musician and player) prefers wood. Like him I can tell the difference when playing. I simply can't say one is better. Perhaps a more accomplished performer like Olarte will be more sensitive to the differences. If this is you, listen to him.

About Elderly, if you have a trusted dealer near you, it's always best to use them. But if you don't, rest assured that Elderly is most reputable.

thanks for the advice, i have heard good things about elderly but when i went into this store it was heaven and so nice so id rather buy in person. The guy had sweet vintage gear and let me play everything...so i kinda owe him :p

Uke love all around, yes it's always great to support local businesses whenever possible. He can always order one for you as well, I'm sure. ;-)

Steve, man you're making me blush (and my day) with your compliments. Sadly I only wish I was 1/2 as good as you make me to be *blushing*.

I do think wood does feel better, and there's always the case for visibility at my age :eek:ld: I found the plastic frets to be a bit too dark to see clearly, although I prefer to play by feel rather than looking at the fretboard. Which is why I gave it to my 11 year old niece.

With the rosewood fretboard, you get to feel the wood under your finger tips, and definitely see the frets as good as any good uke.

Also, if you find the banjo still a bit too banjo...ish, put a small hand towel inside and it will have the sweet sound of a uke, with the interesting qualities of the banjo\drumhead.

Good luck, and let us know\show what you end up getting.

Aloha
Ivan :music:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I will of course let you guys know. I am going to sleep on it and do further research and such before i commit. But thank you so much for all your advice

so i got the walnut one with a plastic fretboard, I thought I would save that money and put it towards something else. I liked the plastic feel so I a very happy camper

My Firefly is #17, when they only offered wood fretboard - which I like. My Flea and Fluke have plastic, and they are fine as well.

Top Bottom