Concert Uke Advice

I had my mind set on the Islander Spalted Maple also. I am lucky enough to live not to far from Uke Republic and was able to play the Spalted Maple. Then my eye wanderd and I spotted the Islander Flame Maple. Played it and loved the sound more than the other. Then I got a case of UAS and bought a Nica Tiki uke. Totally different sound, but I love them both. So many choices, not enough money.

I am a bit concerned about the Islander coming from Eugene Oregon. Now, I have nothing against the fine folks of Eugene Oregon LOL but I live in south eastern USA & the climate is much different. I have had some experience in this area as I once bought an electric guitar (2008) from that area (slightly used).As a matter of fact it was about this time of year that I bought it. It arrived in fine shape but the difference in humidity & climate made the guitar almost unplayable. I set it up & everything but to this day it is still not 100% right. I certainly could not set up a uke, & I wonder if splitting would be an issue.

Last edited:
I can get Koloa at a discount, I have a Koloa baritone (super duper nice) but their ukes all have friction tuners. I prefer the geared tuners. Or at least I think I do. I'm new to the uke world but I do know that the friction vs geared tuners is the chicken or the egg conversation of the uke world. I have no interest in opening that can of worms at this time LOL. One thing is certain; if the Koloa had geared tuners I would get one in a heartbeat.

Check out Uke Republic. They are located here in Georgia. I don't know f they carry the model you are looking for, but it wouldn't have to travel far if you live in the SE. As you know it does get a little humid down here in the south.

Top Bottom