Need help learning to read tabs...

mhancoc7

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am very new to the Uke. I am very excited about it. I have zero musical experience.

I am trying to get my mind wrapped around tabs. Could someone help explain it to me. I have searched the internet and I am slowly getting it, but I really need a bit of explanation.

The tab that I am working on right now can be found here.
http://www.capotastomusic.com/free_sheet_music/ukulele/1/love-me-tender-ukulele.pdf

I can pick the first bit, but I am confused about the chords listed above it. I know this should be simple, but I just don't get it.

Please forgive my ignorance. :)

Thanks, Jereme

the numbers correspond to what fret to press down on that particular string. this is to play the melody, or lead. the chords are just that. chords. so you would strum those if you were accompanying someone either singing or playing the tabbed melody.

you can also do both at the same time... in a sense. strum the chord in place of the first note on the tab and then finish the rest of the measure with the tabbed melody. then strum the next chord at the beginning of the next measure instead of the tabbed note... and so on and so on.

obtw if you didnt know, the measure is marked by the vertical line that runs through the string lines. so within each measure you will have four beats (since it is a 4/4 measure). try tapping your foot with each beat and keep in tempo with it. and it will fall into place. then when you get more comfy with the melody, you can mess with the length of each note and personalize it to give it more life.

the numbers correspond to what fret to press down on that particular string. this is to play the melody, or lead. the chords are just that. chords. so you would strum those if you were accompanying someone either singing or playing the tabbed melody.

you can also do both at the same time... in a sense. strum the chord in place of the first note on the tab and then finish the rest of the measure with the tabbed melody. then strum the next chord at the beginning of the next measure instead of the tabbed note... and so on and so on.

obtw if you didnt know, the measure is marked by the vertical line that runs through the string lines. so within each measure you will have four beats (since it is a 4/4 measure). try tapping your foot with each beat and keep in tempo with it. and it will fall into place. then when you get more comfy with the melody, you can mess with the length of each note and personalize it to give it more life.

Thanks man. That will help me immensely.

I stayed up late and started figuring it out. I was so excited when I actually heard something familiar coming from my Uke!

Jereme

learn to read notes too

It's good you're focusing on tablature but also learn to read notes. Start with simple melodies and learn the notes. Get a simple book about reading. It will take you a long way .

There are only so many notes on a uke. Reading chords is harder but comes with time.

Top Bottom