Koaloha Opio...

I kind of give Koaloha a pass on the first generation. The ones I saw didn't even seem to be an attempt at making an ukulele. They were (the few I saw) just generic, cheap instruments made to compete with Makalas and Johnsons. Just a little bow to the headstock shape and nothing else.
I think the second gen was supposed to compete with Kanile'a for the Islander market. I'd give them a shot at addressing the problems. In my opinion Koaloha still deserves it, though the ice is getting thin.

Yes to all above. Yep.

Still very tempted, for about half the price of a KOAloha, I get a "mahogany" Koaloha...(HOGaloha)?

Well I was at the KoAloha factory today and they had several of the Opio models on display. I played two different ones a soprano and a concert. No worries, they both sounded wonderful, and they looked just as good. If you're on the fence, go ahead and go for it! I thought they were great!

KoAloha has a distinct sound unlike any other brand. Those with real experience know this.

When they set up factory in Thailand they cloned their design / jigs etc. and made ukes in the KoAloha way. This sound was now obtainable at a lower price. Great..BUT,,, they had issues with the wood and humidity, as we know. The root of the problem was no mystery.They closed off and humidity controlled the entire factory, the dry rooms, and even the storage areas where they go before shipping. The entire process was refined from the cutting of wood to final QC.

In Hawaiian Opio means firstborn. These are the first to share the KoAloha name because they are a part of the KoAloha family. I believe in them and the joy they will give. We stand behind our products and act in the best interest of our customers, which is why I recommend these.

KoAloha has a distinct sound unlike any other brand. Those with real experience know this.

When they set up factory in Thailand they cloned their design / jigs etc. and made ukes in the KoAloha way. This sound was now obtainable at a lower price. Great..BUT,,, they had issues with the wood and humidity, as we know. The root of the problem was no mystery.They closed off and humidity controlled the entire factory, the dry rooms, and even the storage areas where they go before shipping. The entire process was refined from the cutting of wood to final QC.

In Hawaiian Opio means firstborn. These are the first to share the KoAloha name because they are a part of the KoAloha family. I believe in them and the joy they will give. We stand behind our products and act in the best interest of our customers, which is why I recommend these.

The above statement is the reason I have been talking to Andrew about the Opio before these even arrived in his store. I told him I wanted a cannon concert and he said wait till these come in. During my 57 years on this planet I have come to one firm conclusion " listen to experts only". I am buying one of these because of HMS and KoAloha's reputation of expertise and excellence

Of course Corey's sound sample didn't hurt either. ;)

Last edited:
Well I was at the KoAloha factory today and they had several of the Opio models on display. I played two different ones a soprano and a concert. No worries, they both sounded wonderful, and they looked just as good. If you're on the fence, go ahead and go for it! I thought they were great!

Aloha Phil...
nice to see you at HMS yesterday...they had a Opio there, and it sounds good and looks like the build is very good.....did you have time to play the Blackbird Clara there...we spent to much time talking about our favorite builder...Chuck, haha :)

have fun with your new Ko'Aloha and keep in touch
btw I only saw the soprano Opio..I am sure the concert just as nice

Aloha Phil...
nice to see you at HMS yesterday...they had a Opio there, and it sounds good and looks like the build is very good.....did you have time to play the Blackbird Clara there...we spent to much time talking about our favorite builder...Chuck, haha :)

have fun with your new Ko'Aloha and keep in touch
btw I only saw the soprano Opio..I am sure the concert just as nice

Aloha Len,
Nice seeing you again too! No I didn't play the Blackbird. The Opios were all nice though, sound is very similar to the KoAloha, they look really nice too. Been jammin the new Sceptre, I'll do a NUD post when I get home and can take good photos. BTW, I don't think I mentioned it to you at the store but I am in on the group electric buy too so I should have ANOTHER new one when I get home or shortly after.

Aloha!

What are they not offering a Opio Tenor? Or is just not being offered at this time and production run!

After listening to Cory play the Opio, I believe I'll have to get one. I love the warmth of mahogany and this one has it.

On HMS vimeo channel Corey plays the Opio and just a couple spots before that he plays the KCM 00 which is the concert in Koa. I listened to both of those back to back numerous times. This might be blasphemy but I liked the sound of the mahogany Opio just as much or even a little better. You are right about the warmth Kevin, it really comes through.

I have ordered the Opio and Andrew said he was going to set it up for me yesterday. Now the agonizing wait as it makes it way from Hawaii to Canada where the weather here is still suckee

A new KoAloha uke should bring some serious warmth even if it is cold outside:D

Last edited:
I couldn't quit reading about this uke and looking at the images and video on the HMS site. It really looks to be a top notch instrument. I really love the warmth of mahogany, sapele in this case, and decided to order one now from this first batch. The write up they gave it sets the bar pretty high. They mention the fact that the KoAloha folks were on hand teaching the Thai workers how to "be true KoAloha craftsmen" for the better part of the past year. I wonder how much, if any, the folks from Hawaii had their hands in on this batch.

I'll be able to do a side by side comparison with the KSM-00 when they arrive. With the difference in tone and aesthetics due to the wood, I don't see any redundancy in having both. I wasn't planning on buying 2 ukes right now, but after looking at instruments and amps I have that aren't getting used, I've got enough to clear out that I can cover the cost of both these and have some variety I'll get use out of.

Here's another demo of the soprano…

I'm having a hard time deciding between this in concert and a Pono concert / tenor.

I bought two 'ukulele at her same time from HMS a year ago: A Koalana concert and a Pono ATD acacia tenor deluxe. Because of the wonderfulness of the KoAlana I stepped up to a KoAloha pineapple longneck. The Pono is nice enough but it does not make me want a Koolau. Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom