Neck Grain Line Question

FrankB

Reaction score
I'm getting soooo tired of mail order instruments. Does this look like a future problem?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mexican Martin uke.... Thuddy G notes and open G string again. But I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a neck like that.

EDIT: It's going back. I'm going to have to get on a plane, and find a decent uke.....

Last edited:
Grain lines are usually not a problem and I certanly wouldn't send it back for that reason.

I've never seen a neck open up on a grain line. a lot of low G strongs are thuddy, esp fluorocarbon. if yours is low G, you might try a wound one, like a pro-arte classical D [4th] before sending it back.

Hi Guys,
Yeah, the end grain looks okay at the top of the headstock, so I guess it's alright. Just never saw that before on an instrument. Knots, but not a strong, straight grain line. I have seen grain lines like that split on pine boards.

Thuddy G: Pulled a quarter out of my pocket, and taped it to the soundboard. The G note on the 3rd fret of the E string is fine now, and the open G string has been toned down. Except for the protruding frets, the rest of the instrument is fine. I'll probably just deal with it, and stop playing luck of the draw with the mail order places. Thuddy notes are to be expected, it's just better for me when they're not on an open string.

These Martin sure have weird gaps. I thought maybe it was a pencil line to locate the bridge, but it seems they router/CNC a depression for the bridge to sit in:

image.jpg

It's contoured to fit the knot recesses as well. Weird....

Strumsilly,
It's a high G.

Video without a quarter taped to the soundboard: http://vimeo.com/92285692 This G string could almost be called a wolf tone, rather than a thuddy note. Stock Martin strings, except for the Oasis C string. Martin uses the same .034" string in their soprano/concert and tenor string sets. Every note on the Martin C string was dead, but it came to life with the smaller diameter Oasis. The Martin G string is around .019", and I'd have to use an A string to go smaller in diameter. That might make it less prominent in a strum, so I'll have to run over to GC for another set. I do have a lot of leader material, but my flourocarbon is all very thin diameter....gossamer thin.

Top Bottom