What is this guy's strum pattern?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUs2HDUkcHM

I watched it over and over again to see how he's doing that lovely residual sound at the end of every chord.

How is he doing that?!

It's "chunking" - basically, slap the strings with three or all four fingers at once followed by laying the palm (or, more often, the underside of the wrist) against the strings to mute them.

It's one of several percussive elements you can add to a strum to "spice up" music.

John

Sorry. I should have clarified, not the chunk. It's the complexity of the melody.. Like when he is holding down one chord, there is a ray of melodies that come from it. It persists through the chunk, if that makes sense..

I should have clarified, i don't mean the chunk, i mean when he holds one chord, there are several different sounds that come out melodically

First, the player in the video is tuned down a half step. (F sharp - B - D sharp - G sharp) He is playing 2224 then 2242 and 1102 then 1120 (or 1100).

Try running the video through youtubeslow.com or one of the other sites like it. It'll slow the video down to 1/2 or 1/4 speed and allow you to see clearer how he's using his forefinger and thumb in an alternating pattern to get a little complexity to the sound.

Funny, while strumming through these chords I started hearing the chorus from the song, You Are Everything, first recorded by the Philadelphia soul group, The Stylistics.

YES!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! YOU'RE A GENIUS! I still can't manage to get what underlying melody right, i'm gonna study his video more to watch his strum pattern more carefully..but now I sound a little more like him! thank you!!

great!!! thanks! i used that site to slow it down and wrote down what appears to be his strum pattern and i think im close to figuring out what he's doing. thanks for your help!!!

He does ghost notes as well...

pattern seem to be:

1) play chord
down "miss up" - "g note" up -chunk "miss up" -

2) then switch chord
down "miss up" - "g note" up - "g note" up - chunk up - down up

(repeat)

in case you don't know what a ghost note is, see aldrine video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIhvqsu_FLg

Last edited:
Top Bottom