NUD thread for everyone who received their East-Start arch-top ukulele

IMG_2027.JPG

Considering the cost, I'd have to say it looks real nice. The real proof will be if it sounds good amplified.

Just a heads up for everyone. The TRC and the back of the tuners have a plastic coating that peels off. I thought the TRC was all chewed up but it was just the plastic covering.

Hello all, been watching these threads...
Looking at Dennis' photos of the tailpiece and bridge it appears that the tailpiece and bridge are for a six-stringed instrument. There also appear to be little divots in the bridge for the strings to pass over that do not appear to line up with the ukulele string spacing. It might be OK for the tailpiece, but I'm not sure about the bridge. I don't think the Kamoa has bridges like that, but the ones with tailpieces do appear to have the six slots in them.
2012-01-19_16-10-30_176.jpg

That spring looks like it could be an anti-rattle spring on the pickup height adjustment screws...

UPDATE! My tracking now says it's in Chicago and "out for delivery-add one day". Looks like it might beat me home from Hawaii...

Haha Phil...

you can look at the tracking numbers in a couple ways...
in China they keep track of their shipments a lot better than the US Post Office(I worked there)...the USPS has only about 4-5 scans before it reaches the final PO for delivery...
or they giving you a big run around....

I hope you get the right color uke too....

Looks like it's at least getting pretty close Len! :)

Hmmm, bridge and tailpiece are for a small guitar or something else with six strings. Looks like the used a triangular file to nick some notches in the top of the bridge where the strings should go. You might have to deepen those a little if you dig in much when you're picking. I'd also check and make sure they didn't leave sharp edges where they scored the bridge - you'll go through strings like candy if they did, even steel strings. If there are sharp edges a bit of a brush with some 400 grit wet'or'dry paper will clean them up.

John

Scheduled for delivery Tuesday afternoon. Pic of that bridge/tailpiece isn't making my day. What are all the white marks?

Last edited:
Photos are pretty good, I'm so envious. Actually, I like that darker color rather than the bright red on their web photos. The black decorative piece on the head has a plastic removable covering on it, just pull it off. I imagine the pickup color is what is made available to them at the time of construction.

What is the measurement from the bridge up to the nut? And same question, what service actually delivered it to you?

Hey, just saw further photos and I don't at all like that the bridge and tailpiece are for a six string, another complaint to make to Simon.

Now that I look at the red photo I posted, I see that the tailpiece has six slots, and I thought I was good at noticing details. That red photo also shows a compensated bridge, but not the one Dennis posted.

archtop body.jpg
ES Dennis ng.JPG

Last edited:
Scheduled for delivery Tuesday afternoon. Pic of that bridge/tailpiece isn't making my day. What are all the white marks?

Don't sweat the white marks. They're just a product of flash photography. Taking good photographs of shinny objects without getting reflections or flash hotspots is VERY difficult. Professional photographers are worth their momey.

Anthony

Last edited:
Well, if I get the uke I ordered, there is no tailpiece to deal with. If the bridge is "floating", I wonder if we could either get EastStart to send us a bunch of the right bridges, or if we could find a US company that would have one that would fit. We shouldn't have to, of course, but if the ukes are fine except for that, it might be the least hassle-filled way to get to a good end result.

I think if you get this thing set up professionally it will be a pearler - stop being such girls about details and delivery services - just wait a little longer then enjoy this bargain.

how much did you all end up paying for these after shipping? I think you were getting some massive group discount right? I'm enjoying this wild-adventure of a thread!

They ranged from $250 to $290 depending on including a hard case and location. The initial price I got for one from East-Start was $400 plus shipping. I'll tell you how much I've enjoyed this after I receive mine and all is well.

That's a nice discount. Assuming they sound good, that should be a nice deal. They're very nice-looking in that old school jazz-guitar-look. I love these "Tales from International Shipping".

Top Bottom