Song Help Request Anything impossible?

DKayne

Reaction score
There are a HUGE number of songs that can be figured out on the ukulele, as I have seen. I’m looking forward to mastering quite a few (“Mack the Knife” being one of them). I’ve even seen a video whereby The Ukulele Teacher demonstrated how to play “Happy” by Pharell Williams on the ukulele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPUKsvEp_hs). The technique for that one is WAY beyond my capabilities at this point, but it’s definitely a goal.

Have any of you found a song (gangsta rap aside) that is simply impossible to figure out for the ukulele? I imagine there has to be at least one.

I don't know about "impossible," but the uke's limited dynamic range (particularly in reentrant tuning) does make transposing some things pretty difficult. For example, so far I have not have much success trying to get something flamenco sounding from the uke and haven't really seen someone else that has been able to do it either.

lol gangsta rap u just have to do a 4/4 strum, sadly most beats sampled can sometimes not be 100% actual notes. but i have a folkey happy version of get low by play c g am and f and i figured the straight tab for this is how we do. i feel like snoop dogg or nwa might not be too hard to figure something out, u just do like a ben folds idea

I think you can do anything on a uke, but, it does not always sound great. That being said though most things do sound good enough!! I couldn't find any flamenco tunes to learn so I just made up my own. Some classical music just has too much sustain to really sound great on the uke but then again, like I said, it sounds pretty good :) IMOP.

The uke does have limitations and also some tunes are just right ... the choppy twenties, thirties and some of the forties songs suit the soprano and banjo-uke down to the ground......people here slag off George Formby...I would rather listen to Formby than Shimanobuke ....because his (Formby)songs suit the instrument that he is playing..no dis to Shimanobuke ....he is very talented ...but not my cup of tea.....great player.......

Songs which require more sustain may require a Tenor ...I find the Bari a bit bassy, personally and wonder why you wouldn't put the other two bass strings on and have a guitar....but I am not dissing the Bari ...in the right hands it is a lovely sound......

I also have a concert and am disconcerted (arf) about it as I find it neither here nor there...TippyBonesighAioli above is right ...you can play anything ...but it's not always right....

Top Bottom