Pet peeves (or, don't ever do that again!)

low G fanatics...usually former guitar players.

I don't think there is anything in life I am superior at. I just think it is corny to play with a tuner clipped to the headstock. But if I was in the audience I would still applaud for you :)

Someone should let Jake know he's doing it wrong.

Further to the apologising, my pet peeve is people who stop halfway through a song because they've made a small mistake that nobody hearing the song for the first time would know about.

My oldest daughter started playing cello when she was 6, and had her first recitals in that year too. On a piece that she was playing in her second one, there was one phrase where she would almost invariably hit the wrong note - hit it well, but it was not what was written.

The day of the recital came and she started to play with an accompanist. Sure enough, she got to the note, hit the wrong one, and just kept on going. No one in the house besides her teacher and I noticed. I was really proud of her.

I think it is better to stop listening to your clip on tuner!
If you are good enough to play in front of a audience you should be able to tweak it by ear. That would be a gift to your audience.
I have to disagree with this. Even if you are good at tweaking by ear (which many of us aren't), the noise on stage can make it difficult to tune. A clip-on tuner makes the job quicker and less distracting to the audience.

My oldest daughter started playing cello when she was 6, and had her first recitals in that year too. On a piece that she was playing in her second one, there was one phrase where she would almost invariably hit the wrong note - hit it well, but it was not what was written.

The day of the recital came and she started to play with an accompanist. Sure enough, she got to the note, hit the wrong one, and just kept on going. No one in the house besides her teacher and I noticed. I was really proud of her.

exactly, I make lots of mistakes and play it my own way and some people like it, including me and some don't, that's their problem.

I have to admit I have a thing about tuners on headstocks. Sure, I get the need to have them in a loud bar or other venue. I'm "fortunate" enough to only ever play in small, intimate places - coffee shops, classrooms, nursing homes - where it's a non-issue. Seriously though, why do you need a tuner clipped on when you're recording a song for youtube in the comfort of your own home?

But that's gravy. My real pet peeve is people who leave the toilet seat up. You know who you are.

Oh bugger ...it's me ....I just got told off again ...by the missus

" Great snob attitude, but it has nothing to do with musical quality. But I guess if one gets off on a feeling of superiority behind something that insignificant...well...fine."

I don't think there is anything in life I am superior at. I just think it is corny to play with a tuner clipped to the headstock. But if I was in the audience I would still applaud for you :)

I think it is just a convenient place ....I mean otherwise I would probably forget where I put the sodding thing!! And I don't even play in public...yet ....God help them...

If it's a choice between a tuner on the headstock and listening to someone play out of tune, the clip on tuner wins every time for me.

I had no idea that leaving the tuner on the headstock bothered so many people. :>)

My ukulele keeps in tune, but I like looking at the tuner as I play for reinforcement that I am strumming the proper chord or to see the note on the tuner as I learn the fretboard.

Ukulele is such a pretty word - if I have a pet peeve it is to see it referred to as an ook or a uke.

Only one pet peeve....It's not what uke you play or how well you play, main thing you yourself get self enjoyment out if it..
like the guitar, there is this standard ''I'm better than you and got a nicer guitar than you senerio" to all of those I say, Get a grip of yourself and look in the mirror.
Get off your high horse and don't ruin it for the rest of us...:p

Last edited:
Why on earth does anyone care if a player keeps a tuner clipped to a peghead?...

This is the one that was puzzling heck out of me, too; I'm glad I'm at least in good company. I'd much rather have somebody have a tuner clipped to the headstock than hear them play out of tune, for gosh sake! I keep mine turned off when I'm not actually using it, but even if someone leaves it on and flashing I can't see why that would be distracting...ever been to a rock concert? :rofl:

Edit: Oh, and as for why it's on my headstock, even when the strings are stretched in...I forget where I put stuff...if I leave it where it's used that becomes less of a problem. I've begun buying NS micro tuners for all of my ukes...

John

Last edited:
My only pet peeve is if people aren't enjoying it and getting into it. "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." Ludwig van Beethoven

I also find it unfortunate when someone on here is rude or inconsiderate when a post is made by a less experienced player, or by anyone for that matter. There are so many supportive, uplifting and encouraging people on this forum, it really sticks out like a sore thumb when someone loses that ohana spirit.

My pet peeve is humanity in general and most everything they do. I know that's pretty trivial but I wanted to be in this thread. :cheers:

Finally thought of something - people who, when they find I play ukulele, ask if I know Tiptoe Through The Tulips. No offense, Mr. Tim.

I had no idea tuners on the head stock pissed so many people off; I affixed mine permanently with Super Glue, thinking that way the ukulele would stay in tune.

Finally thought of something - people who, when they find I play ukulele, ask if I know Tiptoe Through The Tulips. No offense, Mr. Tim.

That one actually doesn't bother me, but a few years ago people asking if I could play that Soul Sister song used to get to me.

I had no idea tuners on the head stock pissed so many people off; I affixed mine permanently with Super Glue, thinking that way the ukulele would stay in tune.

Did it work?? :)

I have those little mini-tuners on all of my ukes. I never take them off (but I always turn them off after tuning, as I get distracted by flashing lights). Now I'm going to be all self-conscious that I'm pissing people off...

This thread reminded me of the book "Play Well With Others - A Musician's Guide to Jamming Like a Pro."
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Others-Musicians-Guide-Jamming/dp/0974360635

I used to get annoyed in my uke group when the person leading a song didn't count the group in (which meant that we didn't know the tempo) or, worse yet, counted in at a speed other than the tempo at which he or she then began to play. Now, whenever I begin to get annoyed at an ukulele jam, I instead think about how fortunate I am to have a body that allows me to play an instrument and that I am otherwise healthy enough to be able to enjoy being in a room full of people who are playing and singing. Forgive me for being crude, but I also think of the old saying, "I don't care which hand you masturbate with. It isn't my orgasm." If a person is most comfortable playing with a clip-on tuner on his or her headstock, or using a thumb to fret, who am I to make that person's playing experience less fun for him or her by being annoyed at how he or she makes himself or herself happy? One request, though - if you're one of those people who gouges soundboards when you play, please let me know BEFORE I lend you my ukulele.

Last edited:
I agree with the peeve of folks not keeping their ukes in tune. Other than that, I don't have any peeves regarding what a player does with their uke as long as they are having a good time. The following is not a peeve, but a question:

Why do some people keep coils of string attached to their ukes' headstocks? I've seen gorgeous ukes where the luthier has done beautiful inlays, or slotted headstocks with multiple veneers, etc., only to be hidden by a snarl of strings.

Is there a practical reason for doing this?

Top Bottom