Pet peeves (or, don't ever do that again!)

I agree with the peeve of folks not keeping their ukes in tune. Other than that, I don't have any peeves regarding what a player does with their uke as long as they are having a good time. The following is not a peeve, but a question:

Why do some people keep coils of string attached to their ukes' headstocks? I've seen gorgeous ukes where the luthier has done beautiful inlays, or slotted headstocks with multiple veneers, etc., only to be hidden by a snarl of strings.

Is there a practical reason for doing this?

I do that sometimes thinking I will change the strings if I don't like them. However, I end up cutting all of them if I don't like them. Secondly, I've had several instances where the string snaps when I cut them short as soon as I put them on. I am not sure why that is but it has happened. So in short, I'm lazy. :p

I'm going to refrain from answering because I'm guilty of at least a few of the listed peeves. "He who lives in a glass house..."

This thread reminded me of the book "Play Well With Others - A Musician's Guide to Jamming Like a Pro."
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Others-Musicians-Guide-Jamming/dp/0974360635

I used to get annoyed in my uke group when the person leading a song didn't count the group in (which meant that we didn't know the tempo) or, worse yet, counted in at a speed other than the tempo at which he or she then began to play. Now, whenever I begin to get annoyed at an ukulele jam, I instead think about how fortunate I am to have a body that allows me to play an instrument and that I am otherwise healthy enough to be able to enjoy being in a room full of people who are playing and singing. Forgive me for being crude, but I also think of the old saying, "I don't care which hand you masturbate with. It isn't my orgasm." If a person is most comfortable playing with a clip-on tuner on his or her headstock, or using a thumb to fret, who am I to make that person's playing experience less fun for him or her by being annoyed at how he or she makes himself or herself happy?

Didn't know that expression, but it sure made me laugh, and I have to agree with you...
Also think about the fact that you are lucky to have other people to play the ukulele with. In the city I live at, I know of no one else who plays the ukulele, and it's sometimes lonely to always play by yourself...

I admit not liking the tuner thing lol. Only on youtube videos though where it's not doing any good at the moment.

I also don't like how some newer people think you have to have an expensive instrument. I don't see it much, but when I do it bothers me. I'd rather listen to a good player playing on a $50 instrument than a bad player on the best uke ever built.

These are my pet peeves:

Chunking - I think a lot of people really over do the chunking. After about the 3rd time in a row I'm kind of over it, so when people chunk in a song from start to finish it just makes me want to beat their head against a wall.

Songs with words sound incomplete to me without them. I can't stand listening to Jake Shimabukuro or other ukulele players that don't sing when they do a cover. I really don't care how pretty it might sound, it just sounds like half a song to me... I also get a little irritated when people play so loud that I can't hear their singing. If a song is actually supposed to be an instrumental, I really appreciate all the flourishes and fiddley bits though.

On a similar note; I really get tired of all the talk about "advanced" ukulele... "Advanced ukulele" seems to be some sort of code for "I can't sing and play at the same time." Which brings me to my biggest pet peeve... There are more "advanced" techniques than just fingerpicking, although it seems many people don't appear to realize that. Not surprisingly, those "advanced" techniques are awesome for people who CAN play and sing at the same time... I play with people and see videos posted all the time by folks who probably should have spent more time advancing their rhythm and chord melody skills before moving on to the "I can't sing while I play" techniques.

Last edited:
My pet peeve is people that have pete peeves..................ooops I guess that includes me :D

I am by nature a tolerant person and as long as someone is having fun and not hurting others who am I to pass judgement on them. In a more blunt manner " either put up or shut up". Life is too short and none of us are making it out alive so ligthen up, don't worry be happy.

I was worried that my shoes were not very neat till I came upon a man who had no feet. I am just extremely grateful myself and others can enjoy our time here.

Last edited:
:agree:

I quite enjoyed posting my peeve on this thread but the more I've read through all the replies the more sad I have become. Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but I'm guilty of at least one of these peeves and it makes me feel sad that something I do really irritates people.

It's fun to share peeves but at the same time we should be a bit more tolerant. If we went through life telling everyone what irritated us about them I'd imagine we wouldn't live long!

My only pet peeve is if people aren't enjoying it and getting into it. "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." Ludwig van Beethoven

I also find it unfortunate when someone on here is rude or inconsiderate when a post is made by a less experienced player, or by anyone for that matter. There are so many supportive, uplifting and encouraging people on this forum, it really sticks out like a sore thumb when someone loses that ohana spirit.

I recently lost my Mahalo spirit...I put it down on the floor and then stood on the little bugger........RIP little "Les Paul Cutaway" Buddy...now my Ohana
is going on a stand !!!!

A newbie's point of view

As a uke newbie I am guilty of inciting all of the listed pet peeves except the use of a pick.
I am also lucky to be playing with a great uke club that gracefully allows me space to make mistakes and learn, no better way to learn than playing in a group IMHO, and provide positive feed back in the most supportive manner.
So, noticing things that aren't quite right and providing feed back is in the ohana spirit when done the right way.

I assumed this was a fun thread and not to be taken too seriously people.
Yes, it seems that lots of folks get caught up in the thick of thin things . . .

if you need rhythm and timing help,, not mentioning any names,, get it and practice before appearing in public.

My favourite quote:

"My friends, love is better than anger.
Hope is better than fear.
Optimism is better than despair.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.
And we’ll change the world.

All my very best,

Jack Layton"
August 20, 2011

I don't know if I'd call it a peeve, but it is certainly something that makes me feel unsettled: "Luthiers" who absolutely can't play a lick!

Another unsettling moment: watching Aldrine go from booth to booth at NAMM and hearing the various reps strum an uke of theirs that is out of tune!!

My pet peeve is going into a music store and finding the ukuleles are not tuned. Great marketing.

Bill

To me, pet peeve implies that you harbor a minor dislike like something for totally irrational and superficial reasons. The below two items fall into that category.

#1 Tuner on the headstock.

#2 sopranos with geared tuners (of the stick out variety).

How much do they bother me? Very very little.

Fun thread though.

Cheers.

My pet peeve is going into a music store and finding the ukuleles are not tuned. Great marketing.

Bill

There's a shop over here in Cardiff where the guitars are kept in tune and great condition but the ukes are left untuned and covered in dust. I played a Koolau there that had obviously been sat there ages, with dust all around the bridge etc and uncared for. The frets had lifted out of the dry fretboard. It was so sad.

Top Bottom