Season 114 - We're in the MONEY!

lumpywafflesquirt - Empty Pocket Blues - First, bravo for the whistling interlude, Robin! This is a nice little tune, just right for the Season. You asked for specific criticism: I like your little nook there for recording. The song would come alive more if you were able to make some interaction with the camera. It would make you think a little more about the words you're saying rather than the strums you're trying to keep even. Place the lyrics (on paper, maybe) close to the camera so your eyes can dart to it (and thereby us) at intervals.
I think that a soprano uke is not the ideal instrument to play serious blues and if you want to do more of that, you may wish to get a tenor. Brian (pabrizzer) is really good at playing blues, which you can see in his videos. If he's available, he might advise you about how to get a blues rhythm into your song so it would would have more a sense of misery to it. Alan (decaturcomp) is also a good resource.
Now please do a bonus song.

Guilty as charged, will try to work on your comments.
I like the soprano too much to change to a different uke though.

Bonus!!! Not sure if I'll have time for that, as I am practising some other stuff for a duet at an open mic on Sunday, but I will try to get video of that.

How completely AWESOME>
S'cuse me while I clear my throat and sing along with these awesome rhymes with which you dropp't the knowledge!

Rap lyrics~
Yeah Ginny put the call out asking people for money
I thought it was a joke, never have cash on me honey.
Not a nickel, not a dime, or a quarter is mine
And I wish I had some cash and a dollar would be fine
and Im wait for my rainbow and a pot of gold
So G-G-G-G-G-G- Ginny, can I be so bold
I'd like a Martin and a Fender and Fluke and a Flea
So I can play like Shimabukuro and Brudda IZ
I'd play the upstrum and the downstrum and the mute and the chunk
I'd play it every single day until it didn't sound like junk
Give me a concert and a tenor and a baritone
and I'd practice my E chord till it really shone.

Here's My entry Ginny. Dedicated to you!

OLD LADY RAP ALERT!

Billionaire~

HAHAHHAHA!!!
Just
Exactly
Perfect
(that'll be two bit for the endorsement, please squire!!)

Once again, following a brilliant entry by Eric and Bro. You guys are phenomenal.

I guess this is a bonus

here's an old bawdy song I dug up on traditionalmusic.co.uk

It's offensive in lots of ways, and repetitive and sophomoric, proving the universality of these musical qualities.
It mentions jailhouse homosexuality, abortion, prostitution, contraception, lots of pimping, gambling, and a little stripping too.

I cherry picked verses from various versions, and skipped a few that I didn't get. It's still way too long for any sober person to sit through...

http://www.odps.org/glossword/index.php?a=term&d=5&t=119

http://youtu.be/iIZGn7zDbUo

here's the longer version of Empty Pockets blues, with the B7. :^)

I recorded this in the same session as the short version already posted so had not had the feedback to work on.

decaturcomp - Rollin' in Clover - I love this, Alan! It's got a surprisingly perky tempo for wishing one's whole life had been different and easier. So it's a song of regret, but it's not true blues. Blues-grass. This is excellent, captivating picking, and the whine in your voice is really well suited to the song. Richard Cory is well executed, but let me know if you want this to be your entry.

TCK - Kill the Poor - Beautifully done, Dave. It's a shocking song, but the shock is that it shines a light on dark and genuine thoughts. It seems like that's the attitude of legislators here in North Carolina. (A ranting letter to the governor is on my to-do list.) A great number for the bonus list.

lelouden - I Wanna Be a Billionaire - Wait a minute, let me get my socks back on because Linda, you just knocked them off! That is a dazzling performance—a new style for you and funny lyrics that you wrote for the week. (I bow with my hand on my heart that you adapted that for me.)
Holy smoke, you are a Seasonista marvel out there in the Great Southwest!

Your second version is the one that should appear on your album. You also brought to it a bit more fun, a metaphorical sly grin, if you will. Your adaptation of the song is awesome and I love BOTH versions!

Last edited:
And so....... In my eagerness to join the fun as a Seasonista I hurriedly learned this tune and did my best to get the video shot before the sun sank in the west for the day........still came out a bit grainy in the low light......

Am I a Seasonista now?

Absolutely you are! Well done buc and Welcome!

Thanks man! We're having a blast here in Orlando. We'll be at Lego Land tomorrow for my nephew's birthday. Possibly Magic Kingdom on Friday. Have fun there!

Great rendition, Eric! Legoland-----how cool is that!?

season 114 not 214...shows what happens when i try to be as hep as TCK....#decaturcompfail
couldn't find these lyrics or chords anywhere so this is transcribed from sid selvidge's record

Love all yer pickin' and strummin' and a playin', Alan. Love the pace of this one.

Buc McMaster - Pennies from Heaven - Thank goodness you didn't wait any longer to dive into the Season, Buc. This is a delight that makes me do a little dance here in my chair. love your ease in playing and the elegant phrasing in your singing. I hope you'll get some bonuses in this week( up to 4); we want to hear more of your playing!

Ceejay - If Heartaches Were Nickels - This is a mournful song, and your slow, simple picking puts the focus on the lyrics. When you're strumming, I like the changes in dynamic in both singing and strumming. Nice picking section and flutter at the end. (Your performance would seem sharper if you make a clear delineation of the ending the song---e.g., stopping the strings and looking at the camera [us]---and then putting the uke away.) Another bonus song, please.

erivel - You Never Give Me Your Money - Awesome performance! You two together are fantastic. Your brother is just great on the mandolin and is just right on backing vocals. I think John L. would be smiling at this and strumming a little air guitar. (BTW, do you know if the Beatles ever recorded in a hotel bathroom?)

Peewee - My God How the Money Rolls In - A gem of anti-correctness you found here! I suspect that the people who generally sing this have had more than one tankard of ale and don't care how long it goes on.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt - Empty Pocket Blues, version 2 - Good on you, Robin, for working on the hard chords. The only way to mastery is to work on them. If Bb is hard for you, practice something with lots of Bbs in it, like I'm Into Something Good. Then one day you notice that your fingers fit on that chord perfectly.

Seasonistas, Lumpy made this interactive Seasonista map. Are you on it? http://tinyurl.com/qb7zk8z

I'm going back to folky stuff this week. I have three songs recorded and this one has money in the title and paying money is mentioned in every verse so it can be my entry.

The song as recorded here, started out as a Broadside from about 1840 and it needed a tune so I wrote one. I sung it through a few times and I felt it needed updating to reflect the early 21st century. So what has finally emerged is something that is largely self-penned.

Oops! Nearly forgot, here are the lyrics which are also in You Tube

Of [D] friendship [A] I have [D] heard much [A] talk,
But [D] you'll find [G] in the [D] end
That [G] if di[A]stressed at [D] any time,
Then money [A] is your [D] friend

Chorus
[A] Money [G] is your [D] friend.
Yes, money [A] is your [D] friend
O! [G] is it [A] not? Pray [D] tell me now
Yes, money [A] is your [D] friend

If you want a roof over your head
Then you must pay the rent
And so, for a happy home
Money is your friend. Cho.

In winter when it's sleet and snow,
On heating you depend
So to pay your energy bill
Money is your friend. Cho.

If you must go on holiday
Or just to see a friend
Then you must pay for fuel or fares
And money is your friend. Cho.

Then let me have a solvent bank
On it I do depend
For all necessities of life
Dear, money is your friend. Cho.

Last edited:
So I thought of an old song I wanted to learn so here is my 2nd vid for the week. Not a great solo but I didn't feel like recording the whole song over again. Tell me what you think.

Dude! I think your vocal tone and phrasing sound a lot like John Prine! Well done, sir!

Last edited:
Jazzbanjorex - Forever in Blue Jeans - Quite a special Rexified cover of Neil! Great strum variety to mix things up, both the quick bits and the fan stroke. Yet your vocal was smooth and romantic. You're a song stylist and this is a bonus of excellent proportions!

krabbers - Too Many Horses - Ai yi yi, Mike—that is a sensational number! You drank a lot of take-home pay. I love it that you re-recorded this original song for this week, AND showed us how we can play like you. Well, maybe not quite like you because you're a unique uker. Oh please, play for us some more this week, Unique Ukerman!

Tootler - Money Is Your Friend - What a friend we have in hard cash, no? And with your friend Money you can buy a round at the pub and more "friends" will gather 'round. Nice timeless find from the 19th century, Geoff.

Here is my second video for this week and first bonus.

The song is a traditional song from England and dates originally from the late eighteenth century. It exists in several variants and seems to have been widespread in England and has also been collected in Canada and, believe it or not, Tristan da Cunha (at least according to one of my folk song books).

Lyrics and chords

Code:
It's [D]of a rich [G]farmer in [D]Cheshire,
To the [G]market his [Em] daughter would [A]go,
Not [G]thinking that any would [D]harm her,
She'd [A7]often been that way be[D]fore.

She was met by a rusty highwayman,
Who caused the young damsel to stand.
"Your money and clothes now deliver
Or else your sweet life is at hand."

He stripped this fair damsel stark naked,
And gave her his bridle to hold,
And there she stood shivering and shaking,
Near starved unto death with the cold.

She put her left foot in the stirrup,
And mounted his horse like a man;
Over hedges and ditches she galloped,
Crying, "Catch me, bold rogue, if you can."

She rode over hedges and ditches
And places she knew very well
She left him with a parcel of farthings
The sum of five shillings to tell

The bold rogue he soon followed after,
Which caused him to puff and to blow.
But the highwayman never could catch her,
Till she came to her own father's door.

"Oh daughter! dear daughter! what's happened?"
"Oh father! to you I will tell;
I was met by a rusty highwayman,
Thank God! I am here and I'm well."

"Put the grey mare in the stable,
And spread a white sheet on the ground."
They searched the highwayman's portmanteau,
And counted out five thousand pounds. 

Dear daughter this is a good portion
And I will give you five hundred more
I think that will be a good portion
To keep the old wolf from the door.

I have a third ready which I'll post later this evening. I was planning to spread them out more but It's my granddaughter's birthday tomorrow and we're off to London on Friday for her party on Saturday.

I'll be back on Sunday ready for Season 115.

as promised

Nice one Mike, I remember this was one of the first YT uke vids I commented on when I first began playing about a year ago............the lyrics especially are the mutts nuts mate !!

Last edited:
as promised

When I saw the theme this week, I immediately thought of doing a cover of this great Krabbers original and now I'm so glad I didn't. No one could do it better. I love this song! Thanks for sharing it again.

This song is unpleasant, but as I have read and understand the rules, we can do a song about being skint, broke and or poor as well. This song is not any of that...more a tribute to the "haves" and their disdain and contempt for the "have-nots". Hope it is OK, it got stuck in my head and would not leave me alone (and we know how that goes).
If it is really fodder for the island-I will move it along.
The very mention of the bands name sends most people even a few years older than I am into a frenzy, but that is punk rock. I only say that as a warning for everyone.
Kill The Poor- Dead Kennedys. All Cloverdaled up.

You should see the smile on my face! So glad to see this song come up this week. I did this a while back and if you didn't do it I was going to pay it another visit. Love the Cloverdale version!

Top Bottom