ukebanjo or tenor banjo

lincs lad

Reaction score
Hi all im lost (lol) im thinking of buying a ukebanjo or a tenor banjo i all ready have a tenor uke and like the size off it i have a budget off approx £200 so what the difference between a ukebanjo and a tenor banjo ???????? confused.com :confused:

Try www.andybanjo.com for explanations of the different banjo family instruments - it helps to sort the puzzle out a bit!

Check the video. Banjo ukes are generally the same sizes as regular ukes, up to and including the baritone. A tenor banjo is merely a standard banjo, but with a narrower neck and 4 strings. The shortest tenor banjos are the Irish Tenor 17 fret models. I have seen some only slightly longer than a baritone, but some folk models can to up to around 36". One advantage of a short scale tenor banjo is that they use metal strings and have a full size pot of around 11". This is important if you want the "typical" banjo sound. Typical banjo uke pots are 6 to 8". It should be noted that Goldtone will install a tenor banjo uke neck on a tenor banjo body...kind of the best of both.

Also one other thing to point out is that the banjo uke will generally have a wider more uke-like neck/fretboard vs. a tenor banjo which is usually really skinny and narrow. Also tenor banjos are really heavy (like you could use it as a weapon-heavy!)

Second to the "heavy." I have a concert size banjo uke with a full resonator and sure wouldn't want anything heavier than that. Wish I had a covered back model without the full reso.....gonna wait for the right vintage model to pop up.

Top Bottom