Soprano confusion...please help!

xracer911

Reaction score
New to the forum. I currently have a Kohala soprano that I picked-up at Guitar Center during last years Black Friday sale. I would like to upgrade to a better ukulele around the $100-$125 range. I am considering the Fender U'uku, Gretsch camp, Kala KA-S or Cordoba 15SM and would like your recommendations.

Hello and welcome xracer.

I have to say, I don't think you get much of an upgrade with those ukes as compared to what you already have. Those are all pretty entry level and you will have to bump up your range a bit to really upgrade to something better.

You might have to stretch your budget a little but look at Ohana. Sopranos with solid top only are around $150 or a little less and all solid models are $175 - $ 200.

Hi xracer, I agree with the other posters. If you got your last uke through Guitar Center, it may have a crappy set-up and might be harder to play (?) I would recommend getting on from a dealer like MIM who will do a proper setup (her shipping is cheap too) - just a thought. She's a member here too
http://stores.ebay.com/Mims-Ukes

I have a very nice Lehua solid Acacia soprano which has been my own personal demonstrator. It has AQUILA strings with low g or regular reentrant stringing. If you are interested in a very nicely built, good player, let me know and I will send you a couple of pictures Price? MSRP is $195....this one for 130 shipped ....if you are in the USA

pono micro-blem from hms ukulele is $250 approx and well set up...a consideration for u. as others say: $150 uke not enuff upgrade for u.

The pono idea is great i have one and it feels and plays great.

As other people have been saying buying 125 isnt really an upgrade IMO i would save a little more try to get around 200-300 and there are way too many choices for excellent ukuleles

Thanks for all the info. I guess I didn't do enough research before buying. The problem I am having is that I noticed that it is difficult to cleanly play basic chords. I recently took my ukulele to a local music shop & they showed me that the string action is way to high, the neck was bound crooked & the distance between the nut to the 12th fret to the bridge is incorrect. The shop also said that the repairs are not worth doing. This is the reason for my questions regarding upgrading. Maybe I should rephrase & ask what you recommend for a replacement.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I didn't do enough research before buying. The problem I am having is that I noticed that it is difficult to cleanly play basic chords. I recently took my ukulele to a local music shop & they showed me that the string action is way to high, the neck was bound crooked & the distance between the nut to the 12th fret to the bridge is incorrect. The shop also said that the repairs are not worth doing. This is the reason for my questions regarding upgrading. Maybe I should rephrase & ask what you recommend for a replacement.

Here is where buying from someone like MIM's (listed here in another post) Uke Republic or Hawaii music supply pays huge dividends. You can call them and ask lots of questions and when you pick out what you want they will go over the whole thing and do a professional set up on it. I still say for under $150.00 an Ohana soprano is great value for the money, so are the Kala's

kala's are great in that price range, so sorry to hear about your first ukulele not working. The kala ka-s is a great entry model (IMO)

Yep call Mike at Mainland Ukes and get a 2nd if he has any. The Mainlands are nice. Also, Ohana (similar to Mainland) is good too and Kala's are nice for the price - be sure to buy from MIM or Uke Republic or HMS though if you do

Take that uke back to Guitar Center! Even if it is past their 30 day money back guarantee. They maybe swtill willing to help. I went through 4 ukes with that place before finally on the 5th getting one that was correct. The action was still high, but I was able to adjust that. If you are going to upgrade I would suggest getting something with a solid top. Another laminate is probably not going to make you happy.

Thanks for the info. Made the trek to Guitar Center & was told that this model was a special made for last years holiday season & do not fall under their return policy. Oh we'll, that's what I get for making an uninformed impulse purchase. That Mainland is very tempting but above my price range & after my last experience I would want to play it first. I have three music stores in my area, the first has two Stagg concerts, the second has a Ukudelic tye-dye (the older all laminate wood), a Makala pineapple shaped watermelon (don't care for the graphics) & a Diamond Head concert (looks beautiful & sounds ok w/the black nylon strings) & the last is an Eddie Finn dealer but only has a baritone in stock. While at the last shop, I looked through the catalog & interested in the Minnow, but they would not order without a $25 non-refundable deposit. Any recommendations?

mainland may be above your price range, but blem's go for a discount i would call them. Mainland are amazing instruments and highly reccommened. i know you want to try in person and i agree with that maybe buy from a reputable store though, like play the makala see if it feel right and then order from else where. Stagg's are nice too, ive heard negative things about the minnow but i think its a you get what you pay for with those. Look usedon craigslist or kijiji you never know what is there

If you are dead set on playing a sample first, I can understand that, then really look hard at the Kala. The reason I say that is they are everywhere, most widely sold and distrubuted uke maker around. They make a fine sounding product and there build quality is very good. Most importantly is they will have something in your price point that will not fall apart on you.

Top Bottom