LH Fingering consecutive notes on the same string

cdkrugjr

Reaction score
What are some ways to finger the left hand something like this:

f#' (2-string 2nd fret)
d' (3-string 2nd fret)
f' (2-string 1st fret)

3, 2, 1? Will that continue to work at speed? These are detached notes where I don't want the strings to ring out.

Alternatives? Yes, it's a weird example, but I can't recall the exact notes of the right version, only that the relative position is similar.
:)

(and I meant "fret" not "string")

Thanks

Last edited:
If I am understanding your string notation correctly, 3, 2, 1 seems like the best way to do it. For notes on adjacent strings, you can also do a "roll" using the same finger to barre the two notes and then lifting it to play the third note.

I'd rake. Barre the first two notes and pluck them on the upstroke, but roll your finger off the 2nd string as you strike the 3rd string, then hit the F on the downstroke. You don't say how much speed you want, but you could pretty much shred using a rake.

Just realised I've said virtually the same thing as Jeremy. First two notes on the upstroke and third on the down though.

I see Pootsie lurking. To be honest, his answer is likely to be "take off your shoes, hold it between your knees and tap out a rhythm"

Top Bottom