Advice on a New Mainland UKE that I Just Bought.

rappsy

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the UKE and my first real purchase was last week when I bought a Classic Mahogany cutaway Tenor from Mainland with the rope around the front. I had them install the Miso pickup. It was a blem but after looking for the blem, I think I might have found it, but if I only think I found it, then it's too small to notice. It is absolutely beautiful.

Here are the questions:

My first UKES were gifts from a supportive family. I have the Flea Soprano (love the sound but way too small for me-will probably get a tenor version of the Flea or the Fluke in the future), a Luna concert Tatoo (sound is okay but sounds a little boxy and still too small), and then I tried a Cordoba Tenor TM20E. The sound was better, but still not to my liking and returned it. Then I started reading about the Mainland.

I ordered one and it came quickly. Mike is very easy to work with. It has a great feel, great look and I feel very comfortable with it. My problem is that it is sound projection is very low. As a new player, I am not strumming with any great force and when I pick, I can hardly hear it. So what I am asking, is this to be expected from a nicer, better made instrument, will it open up more as I play it, will changing the strings improve the volume somewhat while keeping a a similar sound, as I get better will it change as my style changes, etc. Any insight you can give me would be appreciated. I use it in a room where I am playing to YouTube (sometimes) and the window AC is on. I know this explains some of the volume loss, but even out of that room it is low.

I am still in my return window, but I like it a lot and want to keep it. I just need to be able to hear it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lenny...

If you are not satisfied with the volume, I'd call Mike and talk to him about it. This is particularly true if the volume is not comparable to your previous ukes. I know Mike will do all he can to make it right. Of course, if all your uke play quietly, you may just have a soft touch. I'd still discuss with Mike. I've been very happy with the volume level of my classic mahogany tenor.

If you play with a with a light touch, but want to be able to hear yourself better, try playing while facing a hard flat surface. A mirror is ideal. (I learned this during a voice seminar.) It reflects sound perfectly. A smooth hard wall will do well too. I have a 60 year old house with plaster walls. So they reflect sound well. Concrete would also work well, or brick. Sheet rock (wall board) will work well, but not as good as the others.

Good luck. I've been very happy with my Mainland tenor. i know Mike will make you happy.

I've owned quite a few mainlands and still own 4 of them. Their volume is on par with similar makes and models. I do recommend calling Mike, but the volume issue might just be your hesitancy to strum heavier?

I have a redwood mele uke that is not that loud. But the clarity from the redwood is well worth the quietness. Each tone wood has a different volume, but mahogany is one of the most consistent tone woods on the market. Mainland is one of the most consistent uke makers out there.

I've had some ukes that don't sound particularly loud to me while playing them, but they sound great when someone else is playing them and I'm listening.

I know what you mean. It's a bit disconcerting to be playing and think you are not producing much sound. Strings can make a big difference.

I know Mainland ukes are well made and fastidiously fussed over before shipping, a great value. I've enjoyed the 4 I've had very much. But I've been swapping out many ukes because I just want to try them all!

UAS I guess, but I try to maintain a "one out, one in" policy.

Try playing your Mainland sitting down and holding it off of your body. I have a fat belly and when I stand up the uke sounds thin. When I sit down and rest the uke on my leg and off of my belly, my Mainland sounds like a totally different ukulele. The back resonates and gives it a wonderful sound and volume. I find this to be the case on all of my ukuleles, but especially my Mainland.

You are getting good advice. Try having a friend play it in front of you. I thought my Mainland was quiet, but when my boyfriend played it, it was anything but. I was probably being a little precious with it and also holding it in such a way that they sound wasn't carrying back at me. Plugged in, it sounds great!

Look inside the ukulele to be sure that none of the wires from the pickup are touching the underside of the soundboard. I recently got a different brand of ukulele (with a pickup installed) and the sound was very muted. I used a rubber coated (non-scratching) implement to move the fairly stiff pickup wires around a bit inside the ukulele. Voila, the acoustic sound volume improved dramatically. Apparently a wire had been touching and muting the soundboard. Just something simple to check that might be a quick fix.

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice on what to do about my volume problem. There were some very unique solutions. I especially liked savagehenry's solution to move it off the stomach as it muffles the sound. I tried it and it helped, but just not enough. The suggestion to play in front of something reflective was also a good idea.

I look forward to being part of this community for a long time to come.

Thanks again.

Sometimes i find strings play a big part.
If the Aquila strings sound a bit dull; give some fluorocarbon strings such as Worth or Fremont a try :)

For your next uke (when UAS strikes) try one with a side sound port. My latest is a concert, built by David Ingalls (Ono Ukuleles), and the port is just wonderful for hearing your own playing more clearly.

Or... For a uke that can't be ignored and can definitely be heard... A resonator. ;)

I find that if I change to Worth Clear strings and the sound is not much improved, then often the projection is often not going to improve much. So, if possible, carefully change the strings (or have someone else help out) to Worths and see if there's much improvement. That's been my finding with multiple ukuleles I've owned (even Mya Moes Ukes sound better with Worths which are standard strings for them and quieter with Aquilas). Good luck.

If you do decide to try a string change I would definitely pull the saddle and make sure it is flat and smooth on the bottom, just in case it is not making good contact. While the slot is exposed, also check the pickup is seated and flat in the slot.

I have been happy with my classic mahogany tenor and never considered lack of projection on it. I don't have a MiSi pickup installed however. It was plenty loud for me.

Top Bottom