QSC K8 vs. K10 Speakers

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
I'm PA shopping. 99% sold on getting QSC speakers, but I'm wondering if I should get the K10 or if the K8 would be enough for a solo 'ukulele/vocal gig. Anybody have experience comparing the two? We had three K10s at school on Maui and they were great, but that was for a full band playing loud places. I'm just looking at something that will cover a restaurant for background music. Thoughts?

8" speakers are perfectly suited to use for vocal/ukulele. I've read reviews of 8" powered speakers were reviewers were taken back by how good 8" speakers were. I've auditioned an 8" EV speaker which sounded great. 10" speakers have better bass response but without a bass input its probably not required for your stated purpose.

Anthony

How big a venue? How loud? How many people? Dinner music or dance music?

Bring a recording you like and know well and listen to it through the speakers.

Right now I'm playing with a 5-piece band through a pair of Bose towers (plus subwoofers) that they market to folkies. Band sounds great.

Meanwhile, I just played at church through a JBL Powered "monitor" that can sit on the floor, mount on a stand, has all kinds of Aux inputs, meaning a lot of the time we can get away without a mixer, saving 75lbs or so.

Point being there're a TON of options. With either of the units we're using, there's a decent chance that'd be the ONLY piece of gear a solo performer would have to haul around. As someone who spent too many years hauling around full stacks with double-15 W bins, that makes a nice change . . .

Probably looking at 20-table restaurant-sized venues. Not at all concerned about getting enough volume - the QSCs scream. Dinner music.

Probably looking at 20-table restaurant-sized venues. Not at all concerned about getting enough volume - the QSCs scream. Dinner music.

Yeah, then it's easier. Bring a recording of something similar and listen to it. Even better bring a friend who does something similar and listen to him/her through it.

I'm really digging the Yamaha msr250 I just bought a couple weeks ago. Both my uke and acoustic guitar sound very full through it. When I saw samash had them on blowout pricing of around 200, I bought a pair instead of one. One gets plenty loud. I haven't even unboxed the other one yet.

Both are great choices with plenty of clean sound, frequency range and dynamic headroom. My friend Jon, who owns Quiet Voice Audio, uses mainly the QSC12's as he does mainly large installations and runs sound at large venues. Brian Pi'ikea Vasquez uses QSC10's and QSC12's, depending on the venue. His main instrument is 'ukulele. I have experience with QSC10's and QSC12's, not the QSC8's. 8's are a common size speaker in acoustic guitar amps. Ric

Thank you for the responses. Think I'll probably go with the K10 just so I can use it in more situations.

Top Bottom