Octopus Soprano uke - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Would it be terrible to want one JUST because there is an octopus on the headstock?

Hi, my name is Maria and I have a Cephalon problem.

Would just add here - had a few messages - the older Octopus ukes were not that great - this review (if I did not make it clear enough) are a complete review and remake of the model launched this year. Beware old stock being sold on!!

Thanks for the review, Barry! I bought my Dolphin largely on your recommendation and never regretted it, although that was before the Octopus (I still love my Dolphin).

Do you know where the Octopus is available, other than eBay?

Would it be terrible to want one JUST because there is an octopus on the headstock?

Hi, my name is Maria and I have a Cephalon problem.
Terrible? Oh, I sincerely hope not, 'cause... umm...

Southern Ukulele Store in UK stock them, and I think will ship to Switzerland. You will pay a little more on shipping cost, but no import duty

Just don't beat it on a rock to tenderize it Maria

Southern Ukulele Store in UK stock them, and I think will ship to Switzerland. You will pay a little more on shipping cost, but no import duty
Thanks! I'm asking more for friends who might be starting out, something to recommend, and they're mostly in the US. I'm good with my Dolphin I bought on your recommendation, plus a couple I've acquire since! I will look around, though, because I like to keep up with what's out there to encourage people to join in the madness.

Hi all. Bought a sky blue one from SUS and it was ordered and then dispatched within the hour.

Pretty good! I would say it is actually better than my Dolphin overall.

However the action is high out of the box but there is plenty of meat in the saddle to play with and a quick file of the string slots will sort it.

I must say the Octopus strings are surprisingly good and to be honest I wont change them. Very similar in sound to the Aquila but smoother texture.

Good paint job with a nice metal flake.

A few cent sharp on the G and E at the 12th but better than the Dolphin or my Ibanez ( which was 6 times the price ). Good volume and sustain.

Got the be the bargain of the year. I've a little girl about to start music class at school and its a room full of the dreaded Mahalos that greeted me when I took a peak in the music room after a parents evening. Fair to say she'll be getting an Octopus by Tuesday.

For £20 inc postage, its 9.5 out of 10. For £40 quid I'd give it that too!

Glad you were happy with it. Great score out of 10!

This review must have been in the back of my mind somewhere, because when I was looking for a cheap Uke to take on holiday this year (having given away my Dolphin to a friend who had his Uke nicked at a gig last year) I seemed reassured before I even got my fingers on one. I was scouring the music shops in Barcelona and saw a cute looking purple uke for a reasonable price. Something about the logo and name was nagging at my mind and so I went in and tried it. And I was instantly impressed. I agree with everything said on Baz' review here and on the linked page. It is an astoundingly good little cheapo for the price. So without the use of a hook, line or sinker, it has now come home with me. And as soon as the strings settle in, I'm sure I'll be happy as Larry.

Now should I learn Octopus's Garden to keep it happy? (The only throwaway track on the Beatles masterpiece "Abbey Road" - Shh don't tell my little purple friend I said that).

So, Baz, thanks for the subliminal recommendation. I'll soon be a happy camper, I am sure - as long as I can get to sleep in the tent and it doesn't rain too much.

My pleasure - I really like them. The quality of the neck belies their price point.

Top Bottom