What are you listening to?

Movie Themes on YouTube: The Godfather, The Magnificant Seven, Colonel Bogey, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, etc.

Also some British Flash Mob Military Bands playing Colonel Bogey. Marching Bagpipes for some British Homecoming (very stirring). I'm a sucker for Bagpipes and British marching bands.

Lotta good, music here. I'm gonna listen some more. :eek:ld:

Movie Themes on YouTube: The Godfather, The Magnificant Seven, Colonel Bogey, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, etc.

Also some British Flash Mob Military Bands playing Colonel Bogey. Marching Bagpipes for some British Homecoming (very stirring). I'm a sucker for Bagpipes and British marching bands.

Lotta good, music here. I'm gonna listen some more. :eek:ld:

The theme music for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is awesome :)

Do you know the main theme from The Man With The Golden Arm? I think it's the sort of thing you might enjoy.

You're own your own as far as bagpipes go... :p

The theme music for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is awesome :)

Do you know the main theme from The Man With The Golden Arm? I think it's the sort of thing you might enjoy.

You're own your own as far as bagpipes go... :p

I saw that movie years and years ago. It was terrific. I was not a big fan of Sinatra's singing when I was young, but I have always thought his movies were great. We watched "From Here To Eternity" a coupla weeks ago.

Well, my father was Scottish and English, and perhaps reading all that Sir Walter Scott and Burns and R. L. Stevenson did something to my tastes in music. I love the pipes and especially the drums.

I find all that British pageantry very stirring too. :eek:ld:

Yeah, JB, I just listened to it. I liked Shorty Rogers back then too. I usta have an album by him. He was the first fluegelhornist I ever heard. I liked Shelley Manne on drms too.

Ahhh, the good old days. I really miss 'em. Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

I've been feeling a bit down and old and frustrated with my musical progress. I would like to pick up my new instruments and play music like I usta. There are some other things too . . .

So, to "git over it," I've decided to start listening to some of my old favorites, and, maybe playing some of my other instruments if I still can. I played some Irish stuff on my flute a few days ago. Tomorrow? We'll see.

Anyway, tonight, I'm listening to some beautiful operatic arias that I've been meaning to listen to lately. They're very relaxing, and they take me away from negative thoughts.

Pretty soon I'll pop open my new bottle of Dewars. Ahhh, . . . :eek:ld:

Today is the debut of The Beatles Channel (channel #18) on Sirius/XM. A long time coming! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

Had a good session today, so I decided to catch up some Irish banjo and mando banjo music and lessons from YouTube. It's been a good music day. I enjoyed my music more and learned some stuff.

And now back to YouTube. :eek:ld:

"The Very Best of James Galway" (2 CDs). A truly outstanding example of flute playing at its very best. I really love listening to his "Carnival of Venice." I've been listening to and playing this piece on my instruments for years, but his version is magnificent.

His tone is so pure and clear -- truly beautiful, but, alas, I didn't care for the modern selections and arrangements on the second CD. They just didn't fit with his sound -- too bad.

Next time I'll just listen to the first CD. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Most recently, the modern "country" music hell they play at a local BBQ restaurant. If I had to listen to Garth Brooks singing many more refrains about having friends in lowly places I was going to barf up my expensive lunch. That song went on forever. The food is good there but sometimes the crappy music leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

On another day the music was a bit better than usual. I heard some Willie Nelson and some George Jones and the like when out of the blue there was Jimi Hendrix covering "Like A Rolling Stone" which was immediately followed by Marty Robbins and such. I was thinking, "What the heck was that?!?" I was kind of hoping that the music was taking a turn there and that they were expanding their music palate but it was apparently just a tease.

I am listening to the clock tick away my final minutes of freedom since, as a school teacher, I go back to work tomorrow . . .

:p

Surf music... at this momento, The surfing Birds, The trashmen version

John Boutte

Surf music! Love Surf Music!

But we had a hurricane threat here last week (surf too big!). Nate turned out to be nothing for us, and not anything too difficult for Mississippi either. But I didn't realize how just that threat would bring back a bunch of things I'd rather forget; bring on a dread that took me by surprise.

It took me back to the days after Katrina when a voice helped rally our city. To me John Boutte is a really underapreciated vocalist - describing him as a national treasure doesn't seem an understatement to me at all.

So I've been listening to John again. You may have actually heard him too. He did the themesong for the series "Treme" and appeared as himself a few times. So here's a little playlist. And here are some of the sort of things posted about him:

"he's gained a spot with Aaron Neville as one of the few people who could sing the phone book interestingly"

(paraphrase - I can't find it) "I've worked with John before. I have seen him literally part the heavens and the let the light shine down. And I've seen this more that once."

And here's a few notes on the playlist:

The first song is mostly John's family. The Bouttes have been a part of the city's fabric for some time. He has a sister Lilian who is a well respected Jazz singer and a niece Tricia, "Sista Teedy" who gained some notoriety with an "island reggae band". She's been in Norway for awhile now doing trad Jazz. I think Bekken knows her.

Also in that first video is Vance Vaucresson, another Creole icon, not for music, but for one of our other famous commodities, food. Vaucresson Hot Sausage is the standard by which all others are judged here, as they have been around for over a century. His shop was washed out by Katrina, then when he bought new equipment someone stole it - probably just for the scrap metal value. You can catch him now at Jazz Fest and other events. You used to be able to order the sausage online. He doesn't have it listed now, but maybe if you call. Look here:

http://vaucressonsausage.com/

For an example of "singing the phonebook", check out the Charity Hospital song.

And the wedding song for Debbie Davis is for a friend of mine who also happens to be New Orleans best known Ukulele player. Check her (and her old model Southcoast Alto Largo Ukulele) here:

https://www.debbiedavismusic.com/

On "This Little Light" you'll hear perhaps the finest trumpet in the city of trumpets, Terrance Blanchard. That segment was from an an ABC special: "Katrina: 10 years after the Storm" with Robin Roberts, a native daughter. Her older sister Sally Ann has truly been "our anchor" on the morning news for decades.

And a lot of people who've heard John have seen the heavens part in some form or fashion. Last week as we were still in doubt over Nate, I posted about my experience here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?129490-can-anyone-identify-quot-Margie-quot

There's a download of one of his out of print albums there as well.

And while the playlist is full of gems, at the end you hear one of the "part the heavens" live performances.

So here's the playlist. Hope it lifts your spirit:

Well ..... for some reason, only the first song plays here. For the rest of the playlist go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsnWlnwOavE&list=PLfVCj2C0TnIoOTnkzDrhK1cSqlR9eHPA1

Last edited:
download.jpg
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Anthology - Through The Years

As I listened to this I had forgotten how many great songs Petty had! When I heard, "The Wild One, Forever" it was like I was hearing it for the first time. I was really digging how the verse transitioned into the chorus which changed the feel of the song. The subject matter and how it was expressed had kind of a Springsteen vibe to it. I would love to hear Springsteen do a cover of the song. I had to learn it on the ukulele. I can't even come remotely close to Petty's vocal delivery but it's still fun to sing and play!

Kawailehua'a'alakahonua covered by John Cruz

Chopin etudes set 10 and 25

Top Bottom