What are you listening to?

mikelz777

Reaction score
This thread is intended to be as simple as what the title asks, "What are you listening to?" I didn't see such a thread here yet so I thought I'd start one up.

As members here, we are obviously interested in music and from the videos I've seen, there is quite a diversity in musical tastes. I just thought it would be fun to hear what other people are listening to on an ongoing basis. It's a great opportunity to learn about new music and/or artists or to comment on beloved recordings you share with others.

This isn't meant to be just ukulele related, it can be anything and everything.

Right now I'm listening to Django Reinhardt, a phenomenal guitar player.

86f24310fca09cab6d0f1010.L.jpg

Django Reinhardt - Classic Early Recordings in Chronogical Order (disc 1, 1934-1935) His talent is undeniable and his music is pretty upbeat and peppy, it lifts my mood!

Oooh, finally a "what are you listening to" that I can actually answer since it's not ukulele-specific! With the exception of Ohta-San and John King, I rarely listen to ukulele music - for the most part, I'd much rather see it live than listen to it on recording.

In heavy rotation as of lately: Harry Nilsson, Billie Holiday, The Kinks, Buena Vista Social Club, Ry Cooder, Beatles, Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Peter Paul and Mary, and wonder of wonders, someone contemporary that I love - First Aid Kit. If there's any pattern to my choices at all, I think it's vocal harmonies.

And I think some Django is going to make its way onto that list before the day is over. The power of suggestion!

I got some new storage so I've recently reorganized my CD collection which has been boxed up for the last couple of years. It's been great rediscovering things, a lot of stuff I forgot I even had! the majority of the CDs pictured below are jazz (approx 1000) but I've got a little bit of everything.

CDs 001.jpg

I got some new storage so I've recently reorganized my CD collection which has been boxed up for the last couple of years. It's been great rediscovering things, a lot of stuff I forgot I even had! the majority of the CDs pictured below are jazz (approx 1000) but I've got a little bit of everything.

View attachment 66190

Nice! I had a CD collection that looked like that at one time. I've actually come to regret going 100% digital - hoping some better quality speakers will remedy this.

The truth is, I miss records. And liner notes that middle-aged eyes can actually read! Sigh.

The truth is, I miss records. And liner notes that middle-aged eyes can actually read! Sigh.

Same here. Nothing makes recorded music sound better than a needle in a groove.

Since learning to play ukulele, I find myself drawn to Hawaiian music. I've got a few Hawaiian channels on Pandora that I listen to, and there are lots of good Hawaiian radio stations on-line. Hawaiian music is just so lovely and relaxing it soothes my soul. Plus, it has such a rich heritage and so much variety that's it kind of like a whole new thing for me to learn about and appreciate.

Right now I'm listening to disc 1 of Bob Dylan Radio Radio: Theme Time Radio Hour vol. 3. This is from a series of
5 box sets (4-CDs each) which features the music Bob Dylan played on his Theme Time Radio Hour radio show. All 5 box sets come highly recommended. First of all, there's no Bob Dylan to be heard here. Each of his radio shows would have a theme and the music played (supposedly hand-picked from his own collection) would relate to that theme. For example, some of the themes featured on disc 1 are: Young And Old, Days Of The Week, California, Cadillac and Classic Rock. The themes aren't always what you might expect either. For example, Classic Rock features songs or artists with "stone", "pebble", "rock", etc. in the song or title. What you're going to get is a wide variety of music from blues, R&B, early rock n' roll, country, folk, jazz, swing and any number of other genres. The music in this box set (and entire series) ranges from the late 20's to 1960 so you're going to get a lot of stuff that isn't and hasn't been played to death on the radio. I'm guessing that most people haven't heard most, if not all of the music in these sets. I hadn't heard of the majority of these artists but that's not a bad thing. I love every one of the box sets and highly recommend all of them. If you like a lot of variety and a great mix of music from all kinds of genres, this (and the entire series) is a real treasure!

41Cv5zO3e8L.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I had a CD collection that looked like that at one time. I've actually come to regret going 100% digital - hoping some better quality speakers will remedy this.

I understand where you're coming from. I gave up on records about 19 years ago when my young daughters inquisitive little finger broke the needle off my record players cartridge. CDs were the thing at the time so I took the opportunity to transition into CDs. It was hard giving up my records, I felt like I was giving up a member of the family. I don't think I can make the transition into all-digital. I like the tactile experience of being able to hold something in my hand, a carry-over from the albums age.

Last edited:
I'm re-familiarizing myself with Rodrigo y Gabriela. Their new album will be released on Tuesday.

On my ipod, in an "all song" shuffle - John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Elmore James, BB King, Honeyboy Edwards, ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, Jimi Hendrix, George Thorogood, Stefan Grossman.

The rain is falling and the occasional thunder is rolling but it doesn't seem to bother the squirrels and robins in the yard or the Cedar Waxwings going nuts on the berries in the tree outside my window. Bill Evans always seems to be a perfect fit for a quiet Sunday morning and what could be more appropriate than his 1977 release You Must Believe In Spring, a lovely trio recording.

171463_1_f.jpg

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Sound City Real to Reel ( I just watched the documentary week before last)
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - St. Peter and 57th Street and The Essential Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Aruan Ortiz, Esperanza Spalding, Francisco Mela - Junjo.
Just to name a few.

Jim Croce's greatest hits CD.

Rapid Roy the Stock Car Boy, Roller Derby Queen, Workin' at the Car Wash Blues ....

Listening to Jason Isbell's Southeastern.

Great thread brother. For what it's worth I never gave up on vinyl and never will. My turntable gets more use than my CD player. As for going digital, I don't even own a mobile phone. It just won't happen.

I am the exact opposite. I never want to 'own' music again. I find it cumbersome to lug around lots of cds and or records. Even keeping mp3s organized and distributed on the multiple computers and devices I own is a hassle. I am a big fan of the paid streaming services model (Spotify, Pandora, etc).

I will say that there is something nice about the ritual of putting a record on and sitting down to listen to it. But ultimately i still prefer the streaming model.

The Best of Siouxie and the Banshees is my soundtrack this week---such a strange collection of amazing music.

The Best of Siouxie and the Banshees is my soundtrack this week---such a strange collection of amazing music.

I bought "The Scream" the week it was released. Can't believe that was 1978!

Saw them live in Sheffield the same year.

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown To Ecstasy

Steely Dan is one of those rare bands where I thoroughly enjoy their entire body of work. They've been solid and steady from the very beginning. Even their low points are at least interesting. If you even have the most remote interest in this band you should check out the DVD from the classic albums series on the making of "Aja". It's really interesting to see how they work and how they put their classic album together.

2012-12-23-steely_dan_cant_buy_a_thrill.jpg Countdown-to-Ecstasy2.jpg

I'm all over the place this week

Uke:
Papa Lemon
Del Rey
Craig Chee
Sarah Maisel

Other:
Son House
Ricki Lee Jones
Neil Young
Neko Case
Mahalia Jackson
Sex Pistols
Buddy Guy
Grand Funk Railroad

And now I want to hear some Steely Dan. iTunes match is a wonderful thing, I love having all my music available everywhere.

Top Bottom