What are you listening to?

Love Slim Gaillard! I used to have a bunch of 78 rpm records of his. I may be remembering this wrong, but I think a young Charles Mingus played bass on some early Gaillard tracks.

I first got into Slim on 78 as well. I had this cool hand-cranked record player that looked like a little suitcase and I'd bring it to the beach and to picnics and such with a stack of old shellac :)

I'm not sure about Mingus, but Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie definitely did (along with a host of other greats). Give Slim's Jam a listen and read the description on YouTube - it really is a delight!

If you need a bit of a pick-me-up, there's a series of videos on YouTube from some folks called "Playing for Change". With contributors from around the globe they pull together harmonious sounds on songs that lift the spirit. Several feature musicians from here in New Orleans including this one.

Glen David led the second line band at our wedding, and I can tell you there were backfields in motion. All in all, this "PFC" series (check out the others too!) is a lovely way to start the day:

imgres.jpg

Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait

I think that everything I own of Dylan is a compilation, most of them from the wonderful Bootleg Series. I think that the original release, "Another Self Portrait" was poorly regarded and I never actually heard it but apparently this 2-CD set is a departure from the original and sounds different, stripped of some of the original's musical embellishments. I really dug it.

Last edited:
If you need a bit of a pick-me-up, there's a series of videos on YouTube from some folks called "Playing for Change". With contributors from around the globe they pull together harmonious sounds on songs that lift the spirit. Several feature musicians from here in New Orleans including this one.

Glen David led the second line band at our wedding, and I can tell you there were backfields in motion. All in all, this "PFC" series (check out the others too!) is a lovely way to start the day:

l

Yeah, I have the original CD and listen to it and to them on YouTube-- great music. :eek:ld:

Oldies but goodies -- Willie Nelson, Ray Charles and Iris Dement. With a little Scotch, an enjoyable evening.
Mmmmmm, scotch and Iris..............sounds great!

It'll be Chuck Berry for me all day................one of the all-time greats

51+0j4kesgL._SY355_.jpg

The Essential Spade Cooley: Spadella!

Spadella? I'm not sure what that means but I sure understand wonderful western swing! Another good reason to tune in are the vocals of Tex Williams. Very enjoyable from front to back.

View attachment 98698

The Essential Spade Cooley: Spadella!

Spadella? I'm not sure what that means but I sure understand wonderful western swing! Another good reason to tune in are the vocals of Tex Williams. Very enjoyable from front to back.

My folks usta watch him on TV before he killed is wife and went to prison. I watched once in a while, but I never cared much for western swing. It was a good program for that time though, and the commercials with "Ol' Leather Britches", pounding on the car hoods, were really enjoyed by my folks and their friends.

Ahhh, the good ol' days . . . :eek:ld:

imgres.jpg

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

This CD has the bonus tracks where a handful of the songs are repeated with Gram Parsons singing the lead vocal instead of Roger McGuinn's which were what was released on the original album. I knew Gram Parson's versions of these songs before I did The Birds so I'm coming at this recording kind of backwards. The Byrds'
versions sound more foreign to me than Parsons'. While listening to this it's kind of hard to believe that this melding of rock and country was so revolutionary back in the day. It's also hard to believe that this recording is 49 years old! I'm getting old!

Last edited:
View attachment 98717

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

This CD has the bonus tracks where a handful of the songs are repeated with Gram Parsons singing the lead vocal instead of Roger McGuinn's which were what was released on the original album. I knew Gram Parson's versions of these songs before I did The Birds so I'm coming at this recording kind of backwards. The Byrds'
versions sound more foreign to me than Parsons'. While listening to this it's kind of hard to believe that this melding of rock and country was so revolutionary back in the day. It's also hard to believe that this recording is 49 years old! I'm getting old!

One of the all-time great albums even though Gram was muted on the original. McGuinn, as is his M.O., has given a few contradicting reasons about Gram's exclusion from the original over the years. It was nice then in 1997 to have the full recordings finally released.

One of the all-time great albums even though Gram was muted on the original. McGuinn, as is his M.O., has given a few contradicting reasons about Gram's exclusion from the original over the years. It was nice then in 1997 to have the full recordings finally released.

It's kind of ironic that Gram was muted on the original because if I'm not mistaken, he was the real impetus behind going country and making that country rock sound. I think I prefer Gram's vocals. He has more of a raw, live, honky-tonk sound whereas McGuinn has more of a polished, produced, studio sound. I think Gram's vocals are better suited to the music though I like both.

Didn't McGuinn have a reputation for being a bit of a control freak? I've read about some of the stuff that supposedly went on between him and Gene Clark. Not cool. Anyway, I've been listening to this...

61Xc1Ge41KL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Anouar Brahem - Le Pas Du Chat Noir

This is a definite change of pace. The title translates to "the black cat's paw" which really does nothing to communicate what kind of music lies within. I don't even know what to call it. Ambiance? New age? World? Jazz? Something approaching classical? It kind of defies description. It's a trio comprised of oud, piano and accordion. Overall a relaxing and chill recording.

Le_Voyage_de_Sahar.jpg

Anouar Brahem - Le Voage De Sahar

In keeping with the same vibe and instrumentation. FYI for anyone curious who didn't already know, this is an oud. (See post above.)

images.jpg

MI0000150148.jpg

Donald Byrd - Blackjack

A change of pace, one of Byrd's last hard-bop dates. Lots of listening today as I'm trying to clean the house.

Flowers In The Dirt Vol II......................the previously unreleased Paul McCartney/Elvis Costello Demos

Top Bottom