What are you listening to?

Sweet Hollywaiians - Ticklin' The Strings

I LOVE this CD, these guys are incredibly talented and a joy to listen to. This is from their web site:
"Sweet Hollywaiians are based in Osaka,Japan.They were originally street musicians who share a common passion of Hawaiian, Swing, Ragtime, Blues, Calypso and Italian for the 1920s~1930s string band tradition in collecting the music of long forgotten legends like Sol Hoopii, King Bennie Nawahi, Roy Smeck and Eddie Lang. This string quartet containing a dozen of string instruments like a Hawaiian steel guitar ( a lap steel guitar), banjo, tipple, ukulele, mandolin, a bass and guitars. Most of the members are multi-instrumentalist and they change their instruments song by song."

Here's a sample:

Last edited:
I've been listening to this young man, Anthony Pfluke, live for the last several weeks. He is only 16 years old and an accomplished artist on ukulele and slack key guitar. In the youtube video linked below he is playing with Slack-key legend George Kahumoku. He has recorded his first cd of mostly original songs. I expect his career to sky rocket.

https://youtu.be/ljvc4PFdYcE

My three favorite Christmas records on repeat: Christmas with the Rat Pack, Ella Fitzgerald Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas, and Very Best of Bing Crosby Christmas. Getting in the mood to play with my ukulele ensemble at our annual holiday show tonight!

Genesis.... Sell in England by the pound.... I guess I'n not in christmas mood yet...

Well I think it's time to dig out what may be the best Christmas record ever: "A Christmas Gift For You" from Phil Spector, featuring, The Crystals, The Ronettes and the very great Darlene Love.

Well I think it's time to dig out what may be the best Christmas record ever: "A Christmas Gift For You" from Phil Spector, featuring, The Crystals, The Ronettes and the very great Darlene Love.

Aw yeah! Another favorite of mine that I've neglected this year - thanks for the reminder.

Ok guys, you got me in.... Squirrel Nut Zippers Christmas Caravan

Mel Torme - Christmas Songs This is one of my all time favorites and there's a lot to love. It's jazzy, big-bandy, contemporary, traditional, pop, orchestral and wonderfully executed from beginning to end. There are songs you'd typically expect to hear and some you won't hear elsewhere.

Last edited:
Mel Torme - Christmas Songs This is one of my all time favorites and there's a lot to love. It's jazzy, big-bandy, contemporary, traditional, pop, orchestral and wonderfully executed from beginning to end. There are songs you'd typically expect to hear and some you won't hear elsewhere.

I usta like Mel Torme a lot. I think I remember him singing Christmas Songs. :eek:ld:

I usta like Mel Torme a lot. I think I remember him singing Christmas Songs. :eek:ld:

He co-wrote The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...). Somewhat surprisingly, this was his only Christmas album and he didn't record it until he was in his late 60s. It's one of a handful of Christmas CDs I'm certain to play every year. It's a definite winner!

Last edited:
Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection.... The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Baby Blue - Action Bronson

Top Bottom