Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to?

Most recently, the modern "country" music hell they play at a local BBQ restaurant. If I had to listen to Garth Brooks singing many more refrains about having friends in lowly places I was going to barf up my expensive lunch. That song went on forever. The food is good there but sometimes the crappy music leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

On another day the music was a bit better than usual. I heard some Willie Nelson and some George Jones and the like when out of the blue there was Jimi Hendrix covering "Like A Rolling Stone" which was immediately followed by Marty Robbins and such. I was thinking, "What the heck was that?!?" I was kind of hoping that the music was taking a turn there and that they were expanding their music palate but it was apparently just a tease.
    Lanikai LU-21C concert - nato laminate (my starter uke!)
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

John Prine for me today.

51xyg++pWVL._AC_US218_.jpg Fair And Square
    51tfF1g+kmL._AC_US218_.jpg Lost Dogs + Mixed Blessings
    51WUkuM67eL._AC_US218_.jpg In Spite Of Ourselves
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I am listening to the clock tick away my final minutes of freedom since, as a school teacher, I go back to work tomorrow . . .

Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

I have been listening to Paramore, Twenty one pilots and Grace Vanderwhaal. :-)

Surf music... at this momento, The surfing Birds, The trashmen version

Default John Boutte

Surf music! Love Surf Music!

But we had a hurricane threat here last week (surf too big!). Nate turned out to be nothing for us, and not anything too difficult for Mississippi either. But I didn't realize how just that threat would bring back a bunch of things I'd rather forget; bring on a dread that took me by surprise.

It took me back to the days after Katrina when a voice helped rally our city. To me John Boutte is a really underapreciated vocalist - describing him as a national treasure doesn't seem an understatement to me at all.

So I've been listening to John again. You may have actually heard him too. He did the themesong for the series "Treme" and appeared as himself a few times. So here's a little playlist. And here are some of the sort of things posted about him:

"he's gained a spot with Aaron Neville as one of the few people who could sing the phone book interestingly"

(paraphrase - I can't find it) "I've worked with John before. I have seen him literally part the heavens and the let the light shine down. And I've seen this more that once."

And here's a few notes on the playlist:

The first song is mostly John's family. The Bouttes have been a part of the city's fabric for some time. He has a sister Lilian who is a well respected Jazz singer and a niece Tricia, "Sista Teedy" who gained some notoriety with an "island reggae band". She's been in Norway for awhile now doing trad Jazz. I think Bekken knows her.

Also in that first video is Vance Vaucresson, another Creole icon, not for music, but for one of our other famous commodities, food. Vaucresson Hot Sausage is the standard by which all others are judged here, as they have been around for over a century. His shop was washed out by Katrina, then when he bought new equipment someone stole it - probably just for the scrap metal value. You can catch him now at Jazz Fest and other events. You used to be able to order the sausage online. He doesn't have it listed now, but maybe if you call. Look here:

http://vaucressonsausage.com/

For an example of "singing the phonebook", check out the Charity Hospital song.

And the wedding song for Debbie Davis is for a friend of mine who also happens to be New Orleans best known Ukulele player. Check her (and her old model Southcoast Alto Largo Ukulele) here:

https://www.debbiedavismusic.com/

On "This Little Light" you'll hear perhaps the finest trumpet in the city of trumpets, Terrance Blanchard. That segment was from an an ABC special: "Katrina: 10 years after the Storm" with Robin Roberts, a native daughter. Her older sister Sally Ann has truly been "our anchor" on the morning news for decades.

And a lot of people who've heard John have seen the heavens part in some form or fashion. Last week as we were still in doubt over Nate, I posted about my experience here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...ot-Margie-quot

There's a download of one of his out of print albums there as well.

And while the playlist is full of gems, at the end you hear one of the "part the heavens" live performances.

So here's the playlist. Hope it lifts your spirit:

Well ..... for some reason, only the first song plays here. For the rest of the playlist go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsnW...hK1cSqlR9eHPA1
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 10-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

download.jpg
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Anthology - Through The Years

As I listened to this I had forgotten how many great songs Petty had! When I heard, "The Wild One, Forever" it was like I was hearing it for the first time. I was really digging how the verse transitioned into the chorus which changed the feel of the song. The subject matter and how it was expressed had kind of a Springsteen vibe to it. I would love to hear Springsteen do a cover of the song. I had to learn it on the ukulele. I can't even come remotely close to Petty's vocal delivery but it's still fun to sing and play!

Kawailehua'a'alakahonua covered by John Cruz

Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

This:
    no ukuleles, but I love the oud and the horn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV5i...em-uploademail
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Chopin etudes set 10 and 25
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

Thread Information