What are you listening to?

5199wK8nxEL._SY300_.jpg

Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series Vol 8 Rare And Unreleased 1989-2006 (2-CD)

I picked this up out of curiosity from the library and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I didn't think I would like "later" Bob Dylan. When you listen to this material, it's pretty amazing that this was stuff that was left on the shelf unreleased. There are a lot of artists out there who would kill to claim these leftovers as their top tier work. I may just have to buy a copy of my own, I like it that much!

I'm continuing to enjoy Bob Dylan. I've been learning/playing 3 new (to me) Dylan songs on my ukulele. I've enjoyed the borrowed library discs so much I have 7-CDs worth of Bob Dylan coming to me in the mail.

51mdHn3PbxL._SY300_.jpgthe-bootleg-series-vol-8-tell-tale-signs.jpgbob-dylan-bootleg-series-vol-11-basement-tapes.jpg

The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 (3-CD)
The Bootleg Series Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989–2006 (2-CD)
The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Raw (2-CD)

Revisited Kind of Blue this week, and Monk's amazing rekkid from Paris in '69.

Newer stuff I've had on the turntable is Mia Dyson's wonderful rekkid, Idyllwild and The Felice Brothers breathtaking 2014 release, Favorite Waitress.

New uke musick that I've been digging is Bosko & Honey's The Universe Will Provide. Here's a live taste of the title track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Nn_ZkpFafT4

Last edited:
51f91XYmOlL._SX300_.jpg
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series: Live 1966

A kind online acquaintance sent me this when he heard I was enjoying this series. This set documents Dylans transition period when he started moving from an acoustic folk to an electric sound which wasn't always appreciated by the fans.

R-2261998-1280869904.jpeg.jpg
J.J. Cale - Anyway The Wind Blows: The Anthology

I don't know how I feel about this stuff which is all new to me. It's so laid back that it starts to all sound the same after a while. I don't dislike it but I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it has to grow on me through repeated listens.

Eddie Condon - The Town Hall Concerts vols. 2 & 6

These 2-CD sets are radio shows featuring Eddie Condon and his all-star bands. Lively and excellent early jazz!

I've been lingering around the end of my jazz collection and got stuck in the "Y"s

3866356.jpg 41KJS87V74L._SX300_.jpg

Lester Young - Complete Aladdin Recordings
Lester Young - The Kansas City Sessions

Lester Young is considered to be one of the best and most influential jazz tenor sax players of all time. I have nearly everything he put out there. Lester was a very sensitive and gentle man and even though he was an instrumentalist, he wanted to know the lyrics to the songs he played so he knew what kind of emotion to put into his playing. Sadly, alcoholism got the best of him but he was a strong player throughout his career.

R-3242463-1321998858.jpeg.jpg

Webster Young - For Lady

Webster was a cornet player which wasn't all too common in jazz. Paul Quinichette is wonderful here on sax. (and comes from the Lester Young influence of sax players.)

mikelz777 can I just say thankyou for this thread. I share your passion and very much similar tastes. But ultimately I enjoy almost all music. And man would I love to see your rekkid collection. :) It's so so important to me in my own life. Muse, motivation, bliss...it has all I need. Cheers mate

anyway, This. Fella from my home town. Incredible composer and plays gorgeous melodies and percussion on solo acoustic guitar. Alan Gogoll. Like having aural benzos. And such a softly spoken, humble guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiD7JHesiog&feature=player_detailpage&list=FLxpvJmwOe89v07WgJAmo42g

I've been lingering around the end of my jazz collection and got stuck in the "Y"s

View attachment 75497 View attachment 75498

Lester Young - Complete Aladdin Recordings
Lester Young - The Kansas City Sessions

Lester Young is considered to be one of the best and most influential jazz tenor sax players of all time. I have nearly everything he put out there. Lester was a very sensitive and gentle man and even though he was an instrumentalist, he wanted to know the lyrics to the songs he played so he knew what kind of emotion to put into his playing. Sadly, alcoholism got the best of him but he was a strong player throughout his career.

Lester Young is a favorite. Especially with Billie Holiday and/or Teddy Wilson.

Lately I've been listening to The Who - finally going to see them live for the first time later this year and I'm already excited :)

Pee Wee King and his Golden West Cowboys (6-CD, Bear Family box set)

I discovered this box set while browsing around at a used book store. I was unfamiliar with Pee Wee King so I left it on the shelf and went home to investigate further. I really enjoyed the music samples I found online and learned that his music landed pretty firmly in the western swing/traditional country genre of which I am a fan. The store was offering a 40% off coupon for one item so I picked it up for a nice bargain when you consider what it would cost new or used online. First of all, Bear Family issues top-notch box sets and this one is no exception, it's outstanding from top to bottom.

Frankie King was an accordionist who was leading a polka dance band in Wisconsin when Gene Autry came into town needing a good musician. King signed on and thus "Pee Wee" King was born. I'm really enjoying the sound that an accordion adds to the traditional instrumentation you'd expect to hear in a country band. There's something about this kind of music from the 40's and 50's. It fills me with a feeling of nostalgia and kind of a sadness and longing for what it was like in an era we will never see or experience again. The music itself is toe-tapping and joyful, very enjoyable. I'm very glad that I picked this up.

Pee Wee King and his Golden West Cowboys (6-CD, Bear Family box set)

... There's something about this kind of music from the 40's and 50's. It fills me with a feeling of nostalgia and kind of a sadness and longing for what it was like in an era we will never see or experience again. The music itself is toe-tapping and joyful, very enjoyable. I'm very glad that I picked this up.

I think Pee Wee King's best known song might be "Tennessee Waltz" - I play that on uke :)

If you don't already know them, you might enjoy a couple of western swing compilations that I find convey a similar feeling of nostalgia for me - Doughboys, Playboys, and Cowboys, and Stompin' Singers and Western Swingers. Big names are Bob Wills and Spade Cooley, of course. For reasons I'm not quite clear on, this music was HUGE in California, and my very-urban native-Californian parents had a lot of it in their collection so I grew up with it.

As for me - right now I'm listening to lots of Beach Boys. Also conducive to a feeling of nostalgia. I'm so ready for summer!

I think Pee Wee King's best known song might be "Tennessee Waltz" - I play that on uke :)

If you don't already know them, you might enjoy a couple of western swing compilations that I find convey a similar feeling of nostalgia for me - Doughboys, Playboys, and Cowboys, and Stompin' Singers and Western Swingers. Big names are Bob Wills and Spade Cooley, of course. For reasons I'm not quite clear on, this music was HUGE in California, and my very-urban native-Californian parents had a lot of it in their collection so I grew up with it.

As for me - right now I'm listening to lots of Beach Boys. Also conducive to a feeling of nostalgia. I'm so ready for summer!

Janeray, you're right about "Tennessee Waltz", Pee Wee King co-wrote the song. The box containing the CDs also mentions "Slow Poke" and "Bonaparte's Retreat" as other well known songs he co-wrote. I'm not familiar with the latter two off the top of my head but that may be different once I hear them.

Thank you for the recommendations. I think my love for country music came through my parents too because I remember growing up hearing it. It's funny that you mentioned those two compilations, I own both! They're both excellent! It didn't take long listening to samples of Pee Wee King to know that I would like him. I have some Bob Wills as well but no Spade Cooley unless he's part of one of several compilations I have. You mentioned this music being very popular in California, I'm also a fan of the Bakersfield sound, Merle Haggard and Buck Owens in the earlier parts of their careers. In that same vein, I also really like The Derailers when Tony Villanueva was still part of the group. (1996-2003) If you like that sound but never heard of The Derailers, you should check them out, they were a great honky-tonk band. I play a couple of their songs on the uke.

Edit: I just checked out those two songs on YouTube. It turns out I knew both of them!

Last edited:
Janeray, you're right about "Tennessee Waltz", Pee Wee King co-wrote the song. The box containing the CDs also mentions "Slow Poke" and "Bonaparte's Retreat" as other well known songs he co-wrote. I'm not familiar with the latter two off the top of my head but that may be different once I hear them.

Thank you for the recommendations. I think my love for country music came through my parents too because I remember growing up hearing it. It's funny that you mentioned those two compilations, I own both! They're both excellent! It didn't take long listening to samples of Pee Wee King to know that I would like him. I have some Bob Wills as well but no Spade Cooley unless he's part of one of several compilations I have. You mentioned this music being very popular in California, I'm also a fan of the Bakersfield sound, Merle Haggard and Buck Owens in the earlier parts of their careers. In that same vein, I also really like The Derailers when Tony Villanueva was still part of the group. (1996-2003) If you like that sound but never heard of The Derailers, you should check them out, they were a great honky-tonk band. I play a couple of their songs on the uke.

Edit: I just checked out those two songs on YouTube. It turns out I knew both of them!

Funny, I was about to say I'm not familiar with those songs either but thought I should check YT first - and nope, never heard either one of them.

I'm going to have to check out the Derailers. I know I've heard *of* them but not sure if I've ever heard them - they might be a little "after my time." I was hugely into the alt-country scene here in Los Angeles in the late 1980s-early 1990s back when it went by the horrible name of "cowpunk" but by 1995 or so my clubbing days were over and I started digging deeper into old music rather than new. I've missed a lot of good new stuff but found a lot of good old stuff over the years :)

Just got Nellie McKay's newest album, My Weekly Reader, and - listened to the whole thing twice in a row, which is saying something. It's mostly covers but some really offbeat choices... and yes, there's a bit of uke :)

Mostly The Milk Carton Kids (Would love to play some of their tunes on Ukulele), Sufjan Stevens put out new album recently thats back to the indie folk sound, I'm sure that will be on serious rotation for a while.

Just last week I listened to Waiting for the Sun by The Doors and the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album. I hadn't listened to those in awhile and really enjoyed returning to them.

Also, on American Idol this season, the top nine has a uke player - Joey Cook. She's quirky and plays accordion and uke. Great voice!

Joni Mitchell is in the hospital. I listen to her music all the time. Am hoping her other fans here will keep her in their thoughts ....

Top Bottom