What are you listening to?

John Denver's Follow Me

milelz777, it's a CD, and just titled "Chet". I also have one with him and Gerry Mulligan--a best of CD. I like old jazz. I also listened Cal Tjader's "Latin Concert" and a best of June Christy CD. Too much Irish though--not feeling too spiffy this AM -Ahhh well. :eek:ld:

I like "Chet" a lot. I think that it may have been my first recording by Baker and it set me off on acquiring a lot more of his work. He's one of my favorite trumpeters. I'm a big fan of jazz and like you, favor old jazz. I currently own 935 jazz titles. Since many of those are muti-disc sets, I own many more actual jazz discs. Of that total, over 600 of them are recordings from the 50's and 60's. (The "golden age" of jazz.)

If you (or anybody!) have any questions or want recommendations on jazz artists or recordings, I'm there for you!

519anHuElsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
That Devilin' Tune: A Jazz History (1895-1950), Vol. 1 (1895-1927)

This series is an excellent overview of the history of jazz music from 1895-1950. This series comes in 4 separate volumes of 9 discs each. I'm currently on disc 5 of vol. 1 which places us in the early 1920's and it's the time when, in my opinion, jazz really starts to take off. These sets are pretty pricey now and I'm thankful that I was part of a community where I was able to pick up all 4 volumes at a discounted price several years ago.

Wow, mikelz777, that's a lot of music! I have over 400 CDs plus some of my old records, but mine are different kinds of music from Classical to folk and bluegrass. I like all kinds of music except loud rock and rap. I really like Bossanova and what they usta call cool or progressive jazz, but I also like the Dixieland type too. What I play depends on my mood at the time. :eek:ld:

Ha! I guess I forgot we were on a ukulele forum . . . Do you play jazz? I play lots of instruments, but I don't play jazz. I never even tried much. On the Uke I play mostly folk music to accompany my singing. :eek:ld:

I probably have close to 500 CDs over and above the 935 jazz CDs which cover a wide variety of genres. I really like roots music, i.e. the early forms of what would eventually become country and rock (& roll). That would include folk, traditional country, bluegrass, (Texas) swing, blues, R&B, rock, country rock, and a little bit of pop and classical.

As far as the uke goes, I'm a strummer and singer so I don't play jazz though I like to "swing" rhythms where I can.

mikelz777, Ha! We have a lot in common. I, too, play the uke mostly to accompany my singing. I do fingerpick a little, but mostly just noodling by ear on my baritone. For other tunes I want to play, I use my other instruments.

So, what other artists do you like? I really like Brubeck (with Desmond) and Stan Getz and Django Reinhardt and Benny Goodman (especially the quartet with Hampton) and Louis Armstrong. There are just too many to list. I usta play my brass with a jazzy tone (like Chet), but I never really played jazz. I played a little Souzaphone in a Dixieland band, but just a dab. :eek:ld:

mikelz777, Ha! We have a lot in common. I, too, play the uke mostly to accompany my singing. I do fingerpick a little, but mostly just noodling by ear on my baritone. For other tunes I want to play, I use my other instruments.

So, what other artists do you like? I really like Brubeck (with Desmond) and Stan Getz and Django Reinhardt and Benny Goodman (especially the quartet with Hampton) and Louis Armstrong. There are just too many to list. I usta play my brass with a jazzy tone (like Chet), but I never really played jazz. I played a little Souzaphone in a Dixieland band, but just a dab. :eek:ld:

You are more musically accomplished than I am. Prior to ukulele, I infrequently played the guitar so I was not any good at it. I abandoned the guitar for the ukulele and have never looked back. I enjoy the uke much more and I play it weekly if not more frequently. (A lot of people may think I play weakly! ;) )

Uh oh… you got me started with the jazz stuff!

I have the 5 Brubeck “Time” CDs but I bought them for Paul Desmond’s playing. He was the draw in that group for me. I have a lot of Stan Getz in my collection and I really like his warm, round sound. He was definitely a genuine talent and apparently had an ego to match. Django Reinhardt is remarkable. He would be considered an accomplished player if he had normal use of his hands but the fact that his left hand was partially paralyzed and handicapped just makes what he plays even more remarkable. I love his stuff, it’s uplifting. I don’t have a lot of Benny Goodman. I have a 2-CD set of his small group recordings (trio, quartet & quintet) some of which include Lionel Hampton. In general, I’m not a big fan of clarinet in jazz (except maybe in Dixieland) so I don’t have a lot of it. I think Artie Shaw may be the only other group-leading clarinet player I have in my collection. (He could really play too.) How can anyone not like Louis Armstrong? I have a bunch of his stuff from the early Hot 5’s and 7’s days to his singing/popular music days.

What other artists do I like? Lester Young (tenor sax) is one of my all time favorites. He’s a true jazz giant and he had a lot of influence on future players’ style and approach. Getz would have been heavily influenced by Lester Young. Another all time favorite is Art Pepper (alto sax). I don’t think Pepper ever put out a bad album which is remarkable because he was a junkie. The immediacy/presence and passion in his playing was palpable. Thankfully he recorded a lot and had a lot of releases despite long stints in prison. The Jazz Crusaders / Crusaders from the early 60’s to mid-70’s. They had a truly unique sound fronted by a tenor sax and trombone. They started out as a jazz group and evolved into a soul-jazz, fusion kid of thing. These guys were childhood friends and their playing was tight and solid as a rock. I like Bill Evans (piano) a lot. I like 1950’s Miles Davis. I like piano players that fall into that hard-bop, bluesy, soul jazz thing like Bobby Timmons, Junior Mance, Ray Bryant and Horace Silver. I’m a big fan of Donald Byrd (trumpet) from the mid 50’s to mid 60’s. I’m also fond of Benny Golson and Dexter Gordon (tenor sax) Like you said, there’s too many to list and I could go on and on. (And already have!) Oh, and I forgot about Count Basie when I'm in the mood for big band/orchestra type music.

Last edited:
Bob Dylan....Hiway 61 Revisited 2010 Mono Version....raw Dylan the way I remembered him so long ago.

Wow, Mikelz777, you seem to be into jazz a lot more than me. What instruments were in the Benny Goodman Quintet? I really like him, but I've never heard of it. I'm not familiar with most of the guys you've named. I have the Armstrong Hot 5s and 7s too. I mostly like cool, slow, dreamy jazz, but I like upbeat pieces too. I played trumpet for the early years of my life, so of course I like trumpet jazz a lot. Wynton Marcellis (?) is pretty good. I have three of his.

Do you like BeBop? I just never could get into it. It's just too frenzied for me. I'm a slow, quiet person, and that's the kind of jazz I mostly like to hear.

Do you like and collect other kinds of music? You seem to like the sax a lot. I have to admit that I have to be in the mood for jazz. Songs turn me on--mostly female singers. June Christy, Julie London, Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme It's really difficult to list the greats that one likes.

Well, you certainly have a lot of music to listen to. It must be difficult to pick one to play sometimes. It is for me too. Most of mine is classical, Celtic, jazz, world folk and country. There's a lot of old blues too, collected for the mouth harp parts. I have a pretty eclectic collection. Later :eek:ld:

What instruments were in the Benny Goodman Quintet? I really like him, but I've never heard of it.

The instruments were clarinet, piano, bass, drums and vibes. The set I have is The Complete RCA Victor Small Group Master Takes.

I mostly like cool, slow, dreamy jazz, but I like upbeat pieces too. I played trumpet for the early years of my life, so of course I like trumpet jazz a lot. Wynton Marcellis (?) is pretty good.

I really like the cool, slow, dreamy jazz as well, that kind of noir-ish, midnight jazz might fit in that category. It's kind of hard to find an album that keeps that vibe throughout rather than just contained in a couple of songs. If you haven't heard it yet, you really owe it to yourself to listen to Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue" which you can listen to in its entirety here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbxtYqA6ypM Another one you might like is Concierto by Jim Hall which features both Chet Baker and Paul Desmond. I don't have a link for the entire album but here's a link to the showpiece of the album, the wonderful Concierto De Aranjuez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6k2E61ABY

I encourage you to listen to both links.

The last time I heard a trumpeter and was moved enough to find out who it was was when I heard Bix Biederbecke . If you like old jazz, you might want to check him out. He had a real bounce to his playing.

Do you like BeBop? I just never could get into it. It's just too frenzied for me. I'm a slow, quiet person, and that's the kind of jazz I mostly like to hear.

I do like it a bit depending on my mood. Though I can listen to it at times, I don't really like "out" jazz, preferring the more melodic stuff.

Do you like and collect other kinds of music? I have to admit that I have to be in the mood for jazz. Songs turn me on--mostly female singers. June Christy, Julie London, Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme It's really difficult to list the greats that one likes.

Well, you certainly have a lot of music to listen to. It must be difficult to pick one to play sometimes. It is for me too. Most of mine is classical, Celtic, jazz, world folk and country. There's a lot of old blues too, collected for the mouth harp parts. I have a pretty eclectic collection. Later :eek:ld:

I haven't collected anything to the degree that I have jazz but I do enjoy traditional, old school and honky tonk country music as well as bluegrass. I also really enjoy the elements which make up and lead up to rock and roll - jazz, swing, blues, early R&B, etc. etc. Then there's a fair amount of classic rock and a good pocketful of eclectic odds and ends. In the jazz spectrum of things, I don't really care for vocalists. If the mood hits me I do enjoy Billie Holiday, non-scatting Ella Fitzgerald and Blossum Dearie. Dearie was a fine piano player as well. (Check out her self-titled "Blossom Dearie". A link to sound samples of album below.) I too have to be in the mood for jazz but that mood comes around frequently for me. It's also true that it's sometimes difficult to choose what to play with such a wealth of stuff but that's one problem that's good to have!

http://www.amazon.com/Blossom-Deari...qid=1410069805&sr=1-1&keywords=blossom+dearie

Last edited:
mikelz777, I guess I never heard the BG Quintet. You certainly are well versed in jazz.

I have Miles Davis on Birth Of The Cool, but I don't listen to it much. He just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I also have old Bix BIederbecke on Volume I: Singin' The Blues--great CD and Bix BIederbecke And The Chicago Cornets --also great.

I also play the flute, so I've looked for some flute jazz but haven't found much. Do you know Claude Bolling and his jazz suites? I have Suite For Flute & Jazz Piano Trio and Greatest Hits. Pretty good, but one has to just sit and listen to get it. Most of the flute jazz CDs I've found are be bop--not my cup of tea. Though I do have a CD called Heavy Flute that's pretty cool (some bop), but way far out. It's got Herbie Mann, Hubert Laws and some other wild guys. I have
a coupla Paul Horn CDs too, but he's not playin jazz. My Herbie Mann CD isn't a favorite. I don't listen to it much.

It's a surprise that you don't care for singers being a singer yourself.

Have you noticed that a lot of what they sell as jazz isn't what usta be jazz? Perez Prado? A lot of the singers? Even Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw and Glenn Miller I remember as swing bands or dance bands. I guess maybe swing was part of jazz--I dunno. Do you have any Stan Kenton? I have a "best of" CD of his--lotta memories. I love the Artistry series and Laura (I'm learning it on my flute now) and The Peanut Vendor.

I know I wasn't old enough to have heard these old guys and thus have "memorys", but my folks had 'em on platters, and they were still popular in the forties.

Well, my iPad's runnin' out of juice so gotta go plug 'er in. Later :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Benny Goodman didn't record much with small groups so the stuff on the 2-CD set I mentioned is a pretty unique. I think the quintet session was only 3-4 songs on the entire collection.

Give Miles' "Kind Of Blue" a shot. You can listen to the entire thing for free on the link I posted. It's considered iconic in the jazz world. It's nothing like "Birth Of The Cool". I like early Miles Davis but I don't even like Birth Of The Cool. I don't even own a copy because the sound samples weren't compelling enough for me to want to give the complete album a listen.

Re: the singer thing. I think it's because to me, jazz is an instrumental thing. I think I share the sentiment with jazzer Eddie Condon who referred to singers as "interruptions". I started getting into jazz in college when I didn't want silence when I studied but I couldn't listen to anything with vocals because I would get distracted. I just have to be in the mood for singers where I want to listen to the voice more than the music. In a jazzy context, I love guys like Tony Bennett who recorded with Basie as well as Frank Sinatra who had some of the best phrasing abilities ever.

I don't know much about jazz flute, there weren't a whole lot of guys out there playing it as their main instrument. The only one that comes to mind is Yusef Lateef, a multi-instrumentalist who played flute on occasion on his recordings.

I don't have any Stan Kenton but I've heard a lot of good things about him and his big bands. I listen to a lot more small groups than I do big bands.

Very nice! I couldn't even remotely dream of playing anywhere near that level but it's wonderful to hear such excellent improvisational soloing on a uke. If I weren't having so much fun with mine I'd think it was going to waste after hearing that! ;)

519S0OyQEpL._SY355_.jpg
It's Louis Armstrong

This is a 10-CD box set put out by Membran/Documents Records. This set can be had new and used for an incredible bargain on Amazon. Currently listening to disc one which covers (part of) his Hot 5's and 7's period.

Last edited:
81idUpscC6L._SY355_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg
Blossom Dearie.

Some of you may know this voice from Schoolhouse Rocks. A unique voice and a fine pianist.

I listened to Beethoven's Ninth last night and couldn't really enjoy the last movement because of the chinsey sound on my Deutsche Grammophon (German) CD. I'll never listen to that CD again. You'd think that the Germans would put out an excellent Beethoven's Ninth of all things. I also have it on platters with Toscanini conducting, and he's not even German! :eek:ld:

"I really like roots music, i.e. the early forms of what would eventually become country and rock (& roll)."

Hi mikelz777

There are some great New Orleans bands playing and recording this type of music at the moment. Have you listened to 'Yes Ma'am' (album called Stirrin da Mudd); Hokum High Rollers; Drunken Catfish Ramblers; Tuba Skinny to name but a few.

Please add to list if you know of other bands playing this style of music.

Top Bottom