Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking Songs Apart

Default Picking Songs Apart

What's most important (interesting?) to you Ukers who like to sing: The song (music)? Or the Words? Or the accompaniment?
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Fingerpick

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDG Fingerpick

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA Strum

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - Wallhanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Wallhanger
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

For me the most important or interesting thing is the combination of the music and the accompaniment. The song should be fun to sing and the accompaniment should sound nice and complimentary. I don't like long stretches of a single chord being played, it should be changing up throughout the song. I don't think much of what I play would cut it or be very interesting if I weren't singing along. I've read posts about some ukers who play but do not sing. When I started thinking about it, I probably wouldn't even play the uke at all if I couldn't sing along. Even if I were a great player or finger picker, it wouldn't be the same if I couldn't/didn't sing along. As far as words go, I don't think I sing any songs for the words or because they have some deep meaning though I have altered the lyrics to some songs to clean them up or make them a bit more PC but that has usually only been a line or a word or two.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Kala KA-ZCT-C - all-laminate ziricote, walnut fretboard, satin neck

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Though I don't sing well, I get a lot of enjoyment from singing and playing. Also, I would need to be a much better player if I didn't sing.

Well, apparently not much interest in vocal music I guess. I play lots of instruments and whistle a lot, but I felt like singing too. I like folk and country/western.
    Of course, the music carries the whole song, but if the words aren't as fitting and worthy, then the song doesn't work for me. I'm not talking about a fun song like Polly Wolly Dootle, but one with a message and some feeling. A lot of folk music doesn't make much sense and doesn't "string" together. I like the words to be like a good poem, but most ballads are too long and become boring after a while.
    The Uke accompaniment holds the song together and adds fun and/or just rhythm to it. I really enjoy singing with my ukuleles. I wish my ukeing was smoother, but it's coming along

I guess the words are the most important thing to me. Expressing an idea, relating an event or experience, creating a parody on the fly for a bon mot effect, getting the audience to join in, in the experience. The music and rhythm is an important adjunct to create a mood or evoke a feeling. The accompaniment is useful to generate more excitement.

Upon reconsideration it is the singing as a whole that really appeals to me. I can sing acapella. I can sing gibberish, my musicianship has never really been top knotch. Really though I sing everywhere, anytime, in a group or in solitude. It gives me joy to sing.
    "Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

For me, however appealing the tune, the words have to be a fit. At my age playing "Good Morning Little School Girl" would hardly seem appropriate. On the other hand Delbert McClinton's "Been Around A Long time" could be a good fit.

Yep. I'd agree the words have to fit or conjure up some emotion, or are just good fun to sing. There are plenty of songs with good strong lyrics and music. Nowadays I pick most of the songs from a "people singing and playing along" point of view because I do them with my group. I leave out songs that I think may offend, even if they were big hits or are good to sing.
    http://www.karaukey.com - Ukulele Karaoke - Ukulele Backing Tracks - Strum Class
    http://www.meetup.com/ukulelians - Gold Coast and Hinterland Ukulele Group

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    For me, however appealing the tune, the words have to be a fit. At my age playing "Good Morning Little School Girl" would hardly seem appropriate. On the other hand Delbert McClinton's "Been Around A Long time" could be a good fit.
    Fair point ...same as watching or listening.....I love to watch Katzenjammer....but it sometimes feels a bit ...off?

I mostly like to sing (when I do) folk music, but lots of the words in the songs are pretty hokey. I like lyrics to be like poetry where one stanza follows another 'til the song is done. Sometime the stanzas don't relate to each other at all.
    I really don't like to sing ballads; they go on and on and on.

I find it difficult to get a song all together. I usually know the tune and the chords aren't always bad. Then the words . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    What's most important (interesting?) to you Ukers who like to sing: The song (music)? Or the Words? Or the accompaniment?
    The words then the music. Hey DUD take those sappy songs and make up different lyrics for them. I do it and it's really fun and you can come up with some great stuff. I can't put music to words but I do seem to be able to put words to music.

Thread Information