Anybody tried GHS strings?

I've tried the GHS black strings (not sure how many types they make) - they've been pre-installed on a few ukes I've bought (like the Republic reso) . Didn't like them - but I have yet to find a set of black strings I do like.

I'm currently enjoying D'Addario Titanium strings - came on my Godin and I really think they're nice.

If you are looking for fluorocarbon, try ORCAS if you can find them. Sound good on my Imua.

GHS blacks have been around for ages...they work on some ukes, not all .....I do like them on cheaper ukes made over seas.... before all these new strings came out
it was the ones that I prefered on SOME ukes..

GHS blacks have been around for ages...they work on some ukes, not all .....I do like them on cheaper ukes made over seas.... before all these new strings came out

That bolded comment can be said about nearly every single set of strings, for every single instrument out there. Black nylon strings (whatever the brand, they're more closely related than you all may think) are good for some instruments. Good for your instrument? That always depends.

I've tried them. I LIKE them! :)

I was surprised that I liked them!

I'd buy them again.

I've gotta give them a "fair to suck" also. They're the "take off" strings. Ya buy a uke and ya take em off.

I want to like them, because I'm cheap too, but if you're not using Aquilas for some reason, you don't move back to GHS, you move up to Worth, etc.

The only strings I've ever had problems tuning are GHS.

I've gotta give them a "fair to suck" also. They're the "take off" strings. Ya buy a uke and ya take em off.

I want to like them, because I'm cheap too, but if you're not using Aquilas for some reason, you don't move back to GHS, you move up to Worth, etc.

The only strings I've ever had problems tuning are GHS.

And just to be clear, you're talking about the black nylon strings. You haven't tried the fluoro yet.

There are too many stings on the market to try ones that get such mixed (and extreme) reviews. The company should consider changing it's name and reintroducing them.

There are too many stings on the market to try ones that get such mixed (and extreme) reviews. The company should consider changing it's name and reintroducing them.

I think that's a little extreme in and of itself, don't you? I haven't read a lot of reviews from people that LIKE any black nylon sets, period. They're a love/hate thing, much like groundwound strings in the electric bass market.

Two of the black nylon sets we currently have (the H-10 and H-T10) are in the top ten of what we sell regularly. So, while I don't like hearing any negative reviews (extreme or no), at this point I can't see us changing them when the numbers prove otherwise. I will definitely put it on my list of things to bring up.

We have a number of people that like the new fluoro sets. For anyone on this site that wants to try a set on me, shoot me a PM. I'll get a set in the mail to you. Free.

OK since i was the one started this whole thread i'd like to give back my findings. I was fortunate enough to find someone who PM'ed me and actually offered to pass on a couple of sets as he had them available with the agreement that i would replace them on my next order from Elderly (you got to love this community!). I want to mention again that i'm not really interested in the black ones, i was solely talking about the fluoro sets and that is what i tried. The ones i have tried are:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GHT20F.htm - GHS H-T20F TENOR UKULELE SET "FINGERSTYLE, FLUOROCARBON - Tuning is A E C G (treb to bass), gauges are 027 035 035w 0307. Wound string is aluminum wound. If a non-wound 3rd string is desired, the 3rd string from GH20 set will work for a Tenor, since the strings in all the flourocarbon sets are 42" long."
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GH20.htm - GHS H-20 UKULELE SET FLUOROCARBON - Tuning is A E C G (treb to bass), gauges are 026 033 035 0307. Will fit Soprano or Concert uke.

I put the soprano strings on my Kiwaya KS6 and the tenor strings on a tenor walnut fluke.

My reaction is completely my own and you all can and should make your own opinion but bottom line is that I like em...

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and chord melody type of thing and for the last year or so have mostly used Martin M600 and 620 so i'll use them as a comparison.

To me on both the tenor and the soprano they seemed very similar to the Martin version just a tiny bit warmer tone. The strings are very comfortable and feel very nice to play. My main issue with the Martin strings is that sometimes they can be a little harsh or bright for my style of play and my taste of music on some ukulele and i find very occasionally the Martin can seem a little 'thin' and sharp. the GHS may well be what i use when i find this is the case. One other thing is that i am a big fan of wound strings (i can put up with the squeak) i find they are not as 'thuddy' on some uke's) and i really like having that option on a tenor set. I did find that i could whale away on the GHS and they stayed very sweet without any clangy or tinny sound you get sometimes with the Martin.

Again this is just my opinion and my style of play and on my ukes, you should get some yourself and try them. I liked them enough to place an order for 3 sets of each today and will leave the ones i have already on in place.

Thanks Bill

Last edited:
We have a number of people that like the new fluoro sets. For anyone on this site that wants to try a set on me, shoot me a PM. I'll get a set in the mail to you. Free.

Thanks to the few brave folk (esp after some of the previous comments) that have taken me up with the offer of a free set of the fluorocarbon strings to try. I'm keeping the offer available until Sunday, so you have some time if you're on the fence.

And, if you're headed to Lansing, MI for the Mighty Uke Day on Saturday, please stop on by and say hello; I'll be there at the booth, as well as at the GHS sponsored ukulele workshop.

I got my sample GHS flourocarbon strings quickly (thanks, One Bad Monkey) and got them on a uke last Thursday.

I could tell I'd like them right away. They are very resonant with good definition, and they are comfortable to play -- not floppy but not hard, either. I'm not very good at describing things, but I'm quite happy with them and will certainly purchase some more in the future.

Don't be afraid give them a try!

Got mine last week too. Jon - Thanks very much! Still settling in, but inclined to agree with BlueLatitude.

Thanks Jon and have mine waiting for me when I got home from vacation and also got your extra goodies. So far I like it and playability with the strings is excellent. And I'm glad I tried it!

I'd like to add my last experience with GHS Black Nylon, because I couldn't find many posts about them.

first of all I have to mention that I do not like fluorocarbons, they are too brittle sounding, and I like my ukulele to sound mellow but clear, and by far fluorocarbons didn't met my taste.

as someone mentioned years ago, not every string works on every instrument.

i probably met the GHS for the first time many years ago on my first ukulele, a 30€ laminated Arrow with black strings. I liked how it sounded, but it was a cheap ukulele that, with Aquila's (tried after like 7 years without changing strings) sounded "better", or I should say "louder".
I still have that uke with Aquilas, but I gifted it to a friend of mine :D

however, I then bought an Ohana SK38, when the fretboard was still rosewood, and tried many strings on it, but sold it after a while and bought a Mahimahi S3 on which I also tried many strings and ended up keeping it with New Nylgut in 2017, and still strung with them.

in December 2022 I bought a Kiwaya KTS4, same "martin style" ukulele, that came stock with GHS H10 black nylons, and I liked how it sounded, but thought that it had less volume and projection compared to the Mahimahi, but then I recorded it:

I still like the Aquila on the Mahimahi, even if they are a bit muddy, but has a percussive response that I like, so I tried Aquila on the Kiwaya and... didn't like them in any way!
so I came back to GHS, and I love how that uke sounds with them.

I also expanded my instrumentation with a Kiwaya KTC1 (found used in Milan, as new), still with the GHS on, and it sounds so sweet that I never thought of changing them.

the next one is the following Mahimahi T3, the tenor version of my soprano: it came with Aquila NN, and it sounded awful... those strings on a tenor are high tension, tight, and with no sustain at all.
I had a set of GHS H10 (soprano/concert gauge), and Kiwaya suggested me to try them, as they use on their tenors (the GHS tenor set has the roundwound C), and I LOVED them on this uke.
here's how it sounds, hope you can see it on instagram (if not, tell me and I'll post in on youtube).

I love the clear but mellow sound. those strings let every string "ring" as they should, but without excessive brightness and harshness. they also have a perfect intonation on every string, and work well both strumming and fingerpicking.

another thing I love is that they are soft, well balanced in tension, but still with plenty of "drive", so the volume is not less on these solid mahogany ukes.

so +1 for them, but said as a player that doesn't love the fluorocarbons :p

Same here - I had no idea they made fluoros. Those black nylon ones were on my starter Ohana uke and had some problems.

I've still not encountered a set of fluoros that I like as much as I like Martins - tried Fremont, Oasis, Worth, and PhD. None were bad, but I still favor the Martins over others that I've tried.
The Luna MV-3S comes with the stock GHS black nylon strings, and they were the wonkiest strings I've ever strummed...

I recently bought an Ohana taropatch (8-string concert) from the Marketplace (thanks, June!), and it had the stock GHS black nylons with octaves on the G and C courses. I had the same experience with them I’ve had with every set of nylons. They never really settled. Loved the general tone and sound but hated retuning every time I picked it up. Plus the wound G … nah.

I wanted to go old school re-entrant anyway and put on two sets of Martin M600s. It’s great.

Top Bottom