Second-hand Kala Jazz Archtop Sunburst vs new Fender Ukulele Hau'oli

Median

Reaction score
Hello!

I am planning on buying a tenor ukulele and at the moment I have two choices:

A new Fender Ukulele Hau'oli for around €136 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_ukulele_hauoli.htm)
OR
A second-hand Kala Jazz Archtop Sunburst KA-JTE/2TS for around €145 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/kala_jazz_ukulele_jte_2ts.htm, new price around 298 euro)

Should I go with the Kala Jazz? It feels really worth it seeing that the price is nearly half of the original price. I am mostly going to play acoustic, will this matter with the Kala Jazz? Will it sound worse than if you use an amplifier with it?

All suggestions and tips appreciated!

Welcome to UU Median.

I have played a Kala Jazz before, and it sounded terrible when played acoustically. It was my impression that it was really made to be amplified. I have no experience with Fender ukuleles, but I do know they are pretty much entry level laminates. I am sure others will respond here who can give you more guidance.

IMO, if given the choice, neither. For that price I'd look at Ohana, Mainland, used or perhaps a Pono; from a reputable sellor who does a setup before sending out.

I have the fender koa nohea and love it, it was my first but still plays amazing and is my go to for sound and it looks sweet. That kala has cheap electrics in it too. Though they look cool fender sounds nicer and feels way way way better. but as patrick said all of his ideas are good too. Also look at gretsch they are making decent instruments

I guess I will skip the Kala Jazz then, and go for the Fender. It looks like a solid choice and I've read som really good reviews on it. It might not be the best, but it will do for now for my first tenor. Thanks!

I disagree!
I had a Kala archtop and really liked it. Sounded good plugged-in, and I actually enjoyed its warm sound unplugged.
Beyond that, it looked great.

Top Bottom