Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele String Comparisons Spreadsheet

Default Ukulele String Comparisons Spreadsheet

Recently on one of the many threads about ukulele strings, a spreadsheet comparing string manufacturers and types was mentioned. It does not seem to be available to the forum anymore.

I have created a new spreadsheet which compares many of the most popular ukulele strings on the market showing data collected from the manufacturers web sites etc. It includes , in many cases, the string composition, string diameters and string tensions in Metric and Imperial units for Soprano, Concert. Tenor and Baritone tuning. Not all manufacturers provide string tension data as the spreadsheet shows. Unavailable data is recorded as "NA".

String choice is subjective. What you hear with a particular string set on your particular ukulele may not be what another player hears. In order to obtain the perfect sound for you and your ukulele, you will have to try different sets. Hopefully this spreadsheet will assist you in selecting string sets to try.

There are still some brands of strings that are not included, and I am trying to find the required specifications to include them. I will update it as the information comes available. I you have information on other strings that could be included, or suggestions, please contact me or reply to this thread.

My thanks to Andrew at HMS for helping me obtain some of the data which appears in the spreadsheet.

In the meantime, here is the link to the PDF File of this Spreadsheet which you can link to without needing permissions. You can also print out the file from this location.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9X...it?usp=sharing

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by NOTLguy; 06-05-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway
    Vintage Tenor Banjo Ukulele ( circa 1920 )
    Vintage le Domino Concert Banjo ukulele ( circa 1931 )

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Bump

For those who may have missed this.

Regards,
    Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

This is great. It is particularly helpful since I may attempt to try using fishing line as strings. This gives me an idea of what gauges to try.

Thanks,
    Bill

good job, Bill!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

You will notice that the string length is not always available. Not all manufacturers give this information on their sites. For any of the strings missing this data, if any of you want to measure your strings before installation and forward the information to me, I will add it to the spreadsheet.

Regards,
    Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

Nicely done. Can you add Aquila Red?

E
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Aquila Red is one of the string sets that I could find no data on. I tried contacting Aquila with no success. If anyone knows where I can obtain data on these strings, please contact me and I will add them to the sheet.

Regards,
    Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

Quote Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
    Recently on one of the many threads about ukulele strings, a spreadsheet comparing string manufacturers and types was mentioned. It does not seem to be available to the forum anymore.

I have created a new spreadsheet which compares many of the most popular ukulele strings on the market showing data collected from the manufacturers web sites etc. It includes , in many cases, the string composition, string diameters and string tensions in Metric and Imperial units for Soprano, Concert. Tenor and Baritone tuning. Not all manufacturers provide string tension data as the spreadsheet shows. Unavailable data is recorded as "NA".

String choice is subjective. What you hear with a particular string set on your particular ukulele may not be what another player hears. In order to obtain the perfect sound for you and your ukulele, you will have to try different sets. Hopefully this spreadsheet will assist you in selecting string sets to try.

There are still some brands of strings that are not included, and I am trying to find the required specifications to include them. I will update it as the information comes available. I you have information on other strings that could be included, or suggestions, please contact me or reply to this thread.

My thanks to Andrew at HMS for helping me obtain some of the data which appears in the spreadsheet.

In the meantime, here is the link to the PDF File of this Spreadsheet which you can link to without needing permissions. You can also print out the file from this location.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9X...it?usp=sharing

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
    Bill
    nice and very helpful but no baritone :/
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

This is incredible! I have members in our uke club who have questions about strings and this will be wonderful for them as well. Thank you so very much!!!
    Click a photo for information!

Thread Information