Buying a second uke

snaketongue7

Reaction score
Hey all,
I bought a Makala Dolphin about three months ago and I absolutely love the instrument and I've practiced quite a bit so I'm moving up in skill level pretty quickly and now looking to upgrade soon. I'm still a broke college student, so my budget is around $100, but I really want to get something that will be an upgrade from my dolphin so I could maybe get closer to the $200 if it's worth it. I know that Kala is often recommended, and I've been looking at Luna and Lanikai but I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right places or not. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have a Lanikai Koa concert scale. It was $269, but they make several around the $100 mark. I love it. It's well made and plays well.

I think for around the 100 range, I would keep the dolphin and save a lil more. 200-300 is a nice upgrade range. Anything around the 100 will be very similar to the dolphin cause its a great beginner ukulele and competes decently with ones priced around 100 (IMHO).

i would look used, you never know what is out there and cheaper or try factory seconds. mainland, gretsch and some kala's might be a nice upgrade but thats more of the 200-300. look around on the forum cause this question has been asked so many times and there has to be some answers for decent ukuleles in ur price range

I suggest look for some used ones. That may let you get some better model with more affordable price. I also heard some very positive comments about Gretsch uke, they are not too far from your budget.

Hope it helps a bit.

Luna makes some nice affordable ukes. My first was about 80, I think?

This is all good stuff to know, thanks for the replies! I am debating waiting a little longer until I have more money saved up, but when I get my mind set on something I want to do it! Patience is not my strong point. But I'll definitely look into used ones, that's a good outlet for me I think

Ditto on buying used. Check the marketplace here and at flea market music. If you don't see anything interesting in your price range, put a wtb post up and you may get interest from someone who might consider thinning their herd. Lots of folks move up to even better ukes and will let one of their more modest ukes go, or they are changing sizes. These ukes will usually be well cared for and you will probably be able to get a much nicer uke than you can afford new. Several of my ukes were previously-loved ukes and they were excellent bargains and in wonderful condition. Good luck.

Butler puts a lot of blem lanikais on ebay in your price range. The blems are shown so you can decide for yourself whether it is worth it. A friend of mine has one and it was as advertised.

I'll go along with everyone else who says look into used. :) Just be open-minded and receptive to what comes up.

Also, are you committed to soprano? If not, I'd definitely suggest moving up in size to a concert. Personally, I find the soprano neck to be too cramped for my fingers.

Kala has a number of ukes in the $150 range that would be a definitive step up from the Dolphin. I also think Ohana and Islander make decent laminated ukes. However, in the $200-250 range is where the solid wood ukes begin and most of those would be an even bigger step up. You can probably find something used that would be a good deal if you keep your eyes open.

Top Bottom