Just don't like the feel of GLOSS

Yes indeed. Some are willing to pay a premium for that.

for looks- gloss. it really brings out the grain, especially in koa
feel, satin. especially on the necks.

That's what's great about uke. We all have preferences and there are many ukes with different size, finish, wood, etc. to please all of us. :)

For me, there is nothing like glossy nitrocellulose finish.

for looks- gloss. it really brings out the grain, especially in koa
feel, satin. especially on the necks.

I agree Gloss really brings out the grain of the wood, but I personally am not buying an ukulele to hang on the wall like a beautiful piece of art.

I just got back from my local music store. So many of you love your glossy finishes so I gave some high-end glossy finishes a try. euwww, just couldn't handle the look or unnatural feel.

I am in the process of gifting one of my ukes and I know for sure whatever I purchase to replace it will be a natural feeling matte or satin finish (sans bling).

From all that I played today it is hard to beat the sound of a 100% solid wood uke with a natural Spruce top, but I am undecided on the back and side wood. Is it just me or does the back and side wood not make much of a difference in the sound?

Koa or rosewood on the back sure drives up the price.

I'm curious as to what exactly the point of this post is. Is it to edify us to some important issue we are missing out on. Is there something critical missing in our taste if we like a glossy instrument? Can this thread help us in some way?

I have two natural spruce top ukes in my life right now and neither take top billing in my world. Even though they are the two most expensive. What is wrong with my perceptions here and how can I correct them to be more in line with your views? Thanks in advance.

(just kidding, sort of)

I prefer low-gloss finishes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a strong preference - one of my favorite tenors is gloss and I have to admit it's pretty darn sharp looking. Also, on less expensive ukes it doesn't really have that much impact on sound, because their satin finishes tend to be as thick as gloss, just not as shiny. Poly is poly, as they say.

For that matter I can't prove that a low-gloss finish has better sound on high-end ukes but when I had my Boat Paddle tenor made I took no chances and spec'd the oil finish. Satin is pretty but I really like to feel the wood. A gloss finish probably would have been a little more durable and have had higher resale value...but I buy 'em to play not to look at or sell...

John

I prefer satin finishes too. Gloss tends to feel kinda gross and sticky, and I've taken very fine sandpaper to quite a few necks!

Mya-Moe's oil finish is fantastic.

Just FYI you might want to try a very fine steel wool next time. There is less chance of rubbing completely through in spots.

BTW, there is one time when a really hard, thick, sound deadening, impervious to everything polyurethane gloss finish is nice to have...when you're at an outdoor festival with a mixture of sun block, insect repellent, and sweat on your arms! LOL

John

I know one very accomplished professional musician who takes a new guitar and then uses rubbing compound to compound down the finish off the neck to give it a nice woody feel. This takes guts on a multi thousand dollar Martin guitar. But that is what he wants to feel when he plays.

It is actually not uncommon in the bluegrass mandolin community to sand all of the finish off a (often very expensive) mandolin neck. Sometimes called a "speed neck," many players believe the lack of finish on the neck helps them move around more quickly (and bluegrass playing requires some pretty stealthy hands). I never bought into it, but you'd be surprised how many do it.

And here I thought I was just old, feeble and slow witted and all the time is was the fat sticky neck on my uke. By God, I learn something new here every day. :cool:

Yes, the back of the neck is very critical to playing fast (not that I'm a fast player). The ideal seems to be perfectly smooth but not really "glassy" or "greasy".

OP: I like the quote about being 'shiny' in your signature. It seems your signature has waited the past couple of years for this topic to be mentioned.

And for the record, no way does a glossy uke = gross. I can see having a preference but....?

Last edited:
Top Bottom