Alulu Baritone Guitarlele review

Bao

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm here to review my recently bought baritone guitarlele from Taisamlu for 180 + 70 dollars shipping.
$_57.jpg
$_58.jpg

Features: All solid acacia koa. Abalone inlays. Dragon inlay on fretboard and back. Gloss finish. Slotted headstock. Aquila strings. BARITONE SCALE. Wide fretboard. Free baritone ukulele hard case. Arched back.

Sound: Sounds pretty decent! In comparison to the tenor mahogany guitarlele I also bought from taisamlu previously, it's much louder and has a clearer tone. Intonation is almost spot on but it's good enough that I wouldn't bother fixing it. This one has an arched back unlike the tenor guitarlele so projection is increased.

Build quality: The gloss finish is more like a gloss you'd find from a factory produced instrument. But then again, I only paid 250 dollars for it so to expect a finish like a kanilea is outrageous! There are a few very MINOR imperfections which I'll list below but really, they're unnoticeable unless you look 10cm away from the imperfections.

Flaws: High action but some sanding has fixed it. dried glue at one spot but it's really small. Marks on the fretboard and a bit of filler used around the fretboard inlay but you can't notice them unless you're 10cm away from it as I've said before.

Conclusion: 250 dollars for an all solid wood instrument with nice inlays, I'd say it's definitely worth it! The only other baritone guitarlele I can see so far is the islander which goes for around 250+. I'm sure the islander guitarlele is probably way better in build quality and has less flaws but nonetheless, I still consider this guitarlele to be worth the money I spent for it.

Will it crack over the coming months? I know some people will ask that question eventually but I doubt it will. It is pretty solid and my previous Alulu guitarlele (which I owned for half a year) hasn't cracked either.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm here to review my recently bought baritone guitarlele from Taisamlu for 180 + 70 dollars shipping.
View attachment 67668
View attachment 67669

Features: All solid acacia koa. Abalone inlays. Dragon inlay on fretboard and back. Gloss finish. Slotted headstock. Aquila strings. BARITONE SCALE. Wide fretboard. Free baritone ukulele hard case. Arched back.

Sound: Sounds pretty decent! In comparison to the tenor mahogany guitarlele I also bought from taisamlu previously, it's much louder and has a clearer tone. Intonation is almost spot on but it's good enough that I wouldn't bother fixing it. This one has an arched back unlike the tenor guitarlele so projection is increased.

Build quality: The gloss finish is more like a gloss you'd find from a factory produced instrument. But then again, I only paid 250 dollars for it so to expect a finish like a kanilea is outrageous! There are a few very MINOR imperfections which I'll list below but really, they're unnoticeable unless you look 10cm away from the imperfections.

Flaws: High action but some sanding has fixed it. dried glue at one spot but it's really small. Marks on the fretboard and a bit of filler used around the fretboard inlay but you can't notice them unless you're 10cm away from it as I've said before.

Conclusion: 250 dollars for an all solid wood instrument with nice inlays, I'd say it's definitely worth it! The only other baritone guitarlele I can see so far is the islander which goes for around 300+. I'm sure the islander guitarlele is probably way better in build quality and has less flaws but nonetheless, I still consider this guitarlele to be worth the money I spent for it.

Will it crack over the coming months? I know some people will ask that question eventually but I doubt it will. It is pretty solid and my previous Alulu guitarlele (which I owned for half a year) hasn't cracked either.[/QUO

What makes it a baritone though?
I mean wouldn't this just be a parlor guitar sized
guitar tuned like a parlor guitar with the capo on the 5th fret? sticking with the concept that baritone means
lower it should be tuned lower. This would be more like an alto guitar? i dont even know.
guitar being baritone is supposed to be turned lower
than a soprano. I don't really understand the point of the concept if its tuned
the same as the standard 'guitarele'
(sorry not trying to be rude at all just dont get it). Never really
got down with the whole guitarele thing either i'll pick up a guitar (which i can)
or pick up my ukulele, or ill pick up my baritone ukulele for a different lower sound.

Also i find that dragon design far from appealing for my taste but thats just a personal thing.

Last edited:
It has the baritone scale of 19" and the body size of a baritone ukulele. I remmeber someone on here saying sa parlor sized guitar is 23" in scale length so it would definitely be a little longer if in the events hat is true.
The extra size/space would probably be for those with trouble on the tenor sized guitarlele. I.E. Me. I personally find this size much more comfortable to play.
it is currently tuned ADGCEA like a regilar guitarlele because that's pretty much what I want it to be. Though, I could easily change strings to make it EADGBE like a regular guitar and it would probably be less floppy than a tenor version.
Ahah yeah, the inlay isn't for everyone but I personally think it's nice. Taisamlu has versions without any inlays for sale.
I guess the main reason for a baritone guitarlele (at least for me) is the comfort as compared to a tenor version and the variability you get tuning wise. And the main reason I choose a guitarlele rather than a regular sized guitar (which I have) wiuld be the portability of it as compared to a regular guitR

It has the baritone scale of 19" and the body size of a baritone ukulele. I remmeber someone on here saying sa parlor sized guitar is 23" in scale length so it would definitely be a little longer if in the events hat is true.
The extra size/space would probably be for those with trouble on the tenor sized guitarlele. I.E. Me. I personally find this size much more comfortable to play.
it is currently tuned ADGCEA like a regilar guitarlele because that's pretty much what I want it to be. Though, I could easily change strings to make it EADGBE like a regular guitar and it would probably be less floppy than a tenor version.
Ahah yeah, the inlay isn't for everyone but I personally think it's nice. Taisamlu has versions without any inlays for sale.
I guess the main reason for a baritone guitarlele (at least for me) is the comfort as compared to a tenor version and the variability you get tuning wise. And the main reason I choose a guitarlele rather than a regular sized guitar (which I have) wiuld be the portability of it as compared to a regular guitR

gotcha its basically just childs size guitar than made for an adult :p
thats cool if you enjoy playign it you enjoy played it. I played some guitareles recently
and all thought was (i could be playing a ukulele right now). It did nothign for me as a uker
and guitarist. also i believe baritones can be up to almost 22" aka some ponos.
and electric baritones (jupiter creek, blue star, monkey wrench) their electric baritones
have that scale prob has to do with the addition of steel strings and tension. So id say
the difference in scale from a smaller tenor guitar, parlor guitar and baritone ukulele really
isn't all that different. I Gues the only main difference from the parlor guitar is that
this has nylon strings.

Last edited:
Actually the Islander GL-6, which is laminated, is selling for $235 or $285 depending on vendor. The GL-6 i just received is extremely well made. Good fit and finish. Plays well. Is a great deal at the price. It doesn't have the inlay or fancy stuff, but I know it will not likely develop any issues with the wood and will be resaleable.

My experience with Alulu uke quality has been really good. I'm not a fan of the fancy inlays but they make plenty without and the two solid Acacia here are the two most beautiful ukes in our stable of over a dozen mostly more expensive ukes. They sound great and get a lot of play time. I'd try them again in a heartbeat.

To update my review rather than start a new one (to save people wanting reviews some time). It has been 4 months since I purchased my Taisamlu baritone guitalele and I'm still loving it. It still sounds really clear and air-y (unmuted).
The uke itself has held up against time: No cracks, no inlays falling off, tuners still working extremely well and keeping in tune even at times when I don't play it for a week. Intonation is still 99% perfect (only really slightly off on one or two strings).

I keep it in its case whenever it's not in play so I'm not sure if I had left it out, would it have cracked or anything. Nonetheless, I believe that with ANY solid wood instrument, you should keep it in its case anyway.

Do I regret it? Absolutely no way. I think it's well worth, if not more than the price I bought it for.

Would I recommend it to someone interested in a guitalele? Hell yes!

Top Bottom