World Cup!

niwenomian

Reaction score
How many ukers are fans of the beautiful game? I know that I will have soccer on the brain until its over.

Even without LD, I'm starting to believe that the USA can get out of the group.

So many great matchups I'm looking forward to, England-Italy, Spain-Argentine, USA-Ghana....

So, who's your team?

ENGERLAND!!!

Really looking forward to this one as for once expectations are being managed over here regarding England's chances, so I won't be disappointed when we inevitably limp out on penalties in the second round. Some very intriging matches in the groups coming up and there are a couple of dark horses that will make the latter stages of the competition very interesting in my opinion.;

Plus, it being held in Brazil will hopefully encourage some more attacking football than seen recently.

I have always cheered for England in the past (I admit to a shameless crush on David Beckham since 1997 - despite his red card in 1998). But since I am part Korean, and I will be in Seoul, South Korea during the World Cup, I'm rooting for South Korea this year.

RAB, I think Roy went with a young enough squad that they don't know that they're supposed to underwhelm. They could just.....uh... maybe not overwhelm, but I think we could agree that just whelming would be an improvement. Hey at least Green didn't come along to let in any leakers like he did against us 4 years ago. The creativity they have from some of their youngsters seems like a massive improvement.

So, tell me from your perspective (I can handle it, I swear) what does group G look like for the US?

WW, don't know much about the SK team this time. Since they aren't in group G, I can root for them a bit on your behalf. Any players you like?

Nick

I think if the Germans don't choke they're clear winners of that group, Portugal you think would be second but they're very inconsistent in tournaments, all depends on whether Ronaldo shows up. Ghana have some very good players going forward (Boateng, Gyan, the Ayew brothers) but their defending has always been suspect. Could still cause some trouble though.

Don't know much about the current state of the American squad but with Klinsmann in charge they'll be organised, they'll always be fully committed and with a bit of luck could just spring an upset and qualify in second place. Definitely an intriguing group.

Loving seeing Spain get battered by the Dutch. Not a fan of their or Barcelona's tippy tappy style and as a United fan it's good to see RVP looking hungry again under van Gaal. Hopefully that carries on to next season.

Oh God ...it's even got on here.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

pass me a beer somebody !!!

That's all you've got CeeJay? As an American soccer fan, I've lived my entire life being ridiculed for the sport I love. You'll have to do better. That kind of mediocre performance just won't cut it. It's simply not enough to pop into a forum entitled World Cup! and let everyone engaged in the discussion know that you disapprove because "it" got on "here" and then vomit on the keyboard. Sorry, you earned all 3 losses in one single post and get to head back to Nutwood Village.

RAB11, sorry about your Engerland. Saw bits of the game, I didn't expect Italy to have such a powerful presence. And Pirlo. Well, Im not sure how to describe what he does. It looks effortless, though. So, what's the road for the lions look like from here out?

Looks to me like Germany, Netherlands and Brazil are the powers. Spain, Italy occupy the next tier.

The US game was the most unpleasant I have ever seen. I was clock-watching after the first minute and by the end I was exhausted. Bradley, who normally is top-notch, was off. Altidore hurt, Besler taken off as precaution. And Dempsey played on, crooked nose and all. Tough dude!

Just finished watching the Brazil-Mexico game. Definitely one of the chippiest games so far. Am surprised there were not 20 yellow cards. The Mexican 'keeper was unreal.

USA!

If it doesn't have wheels on it, it isn't sport.

I hate the damn game.

Haven't watched yet, SteveZ. Mexico seems to play up to Brazil's level every time. It does put some pressure on Brazil. Imagine if they go out.....

So, what about the match on Sunday w/Portugal? We'll need a different game plan for sure.

Haven't watched yet, SteveZ. Mexico seems to play up to Brazil's level every time. It does put some pressure on Brazil. Imagine if they go out.....

So, what about the match on Sunday w/Portugal? We'll need a different game plan for sure.

The USA-Portugal game should be wild. Portugal is still smarting over a no-points outing and losing their star midfielder via red card for the USA game.

And two starters injured. Though USA is not at full strength either.

Halftime in the Spain-Chile game. Down 2-0 and facing the prospect of being trophy holders and eliminated after two games, I would expect 45 minutes of furious effort from them.

Best Statistics Ever

Minutes Played/Distance Ran

:cheers:

Oh yes indeedy. Guess where I'm from?

Brazil 0, Mexico 0. But what a fabulous game! The goaltending was perfection.

" Keeping " Bill....it's Goal " keeping " ..... the groundsman tends to the goals after and before the matches but during the match it's all down to the Goalkeeper....

but I get what you mean :cheers::shaka:

Incidentally ..has anybody ever successfully explained the offside rule to you..............................lol.

Cheers Buddy.

" Keeping " Bill....it's Goal " keeping " ..... the groundsman tends to the goals after and before the matches but during the match it's all down to the Goalkeeper....

but I get what you mean :cheers::shaka:

Incidentally ..has anybody ever successfully explained the offside rule to you..............................lol

Cheers Buddy.

My understanding is that the action done by the goal keeper is "goal tending." See http://www.aol.com/?ncid=hyplognew00000010

The off side rule. There must be one defender even with or behind the last attacking player, i.e., closer to the defending goal keeper, than the last attacking player at the moment the ball is passed to an attacking player for the attacking player to be on sides. If all defensive players are in the attacking players area of the field, I mean pitch, then it all goes out the window and as an attacking player you can be anywhere in the other half of the field and have a lot of fun going one-on one with the opposing goal keeper. No off sides applies.

My understanding is that the action done by the goal keeper is "goal tending." See http://www.aol.com/?ncid=hyplognew00000010

The off side rule. There must be one defender even with or behind the last attacking player, i.e., closer to the defending goal keeper, than the last attacking player at the moment the ball is passed to an attacking player for the attacking player to be on sides. If all defensive players are in the attacking players area of the field, I mean pitch, then it all goes out the window and as an attacking player you can be anywhere in the other half of the field and have a lot of fun going one-on one with the opposing goal keeper. No off sides applies.

No...no...no...no....it's goalkeeping ....well on this side of the pond it is....and as to the offside rule.....well I am impressed ....'cos I don't get it !!!.......

oh and as to "field" ...and "pitch...if you are Scots ...and to be fair they do not participate so much in the World Cup (though why we bloody english do is a mystery to me) ..they call it "park" ...you have to love soccer (I hate it) ....

now the NFL and AFL ........................................................................................................................................................................................C ?

Yes, a WC post on the UU! Alright! This is by far my favorite every-4-year-event (taking the cake over Summer Olympics, Winter Olympics, and Presidential Elections).

I have distant relatives in Germany so I am a USA & Germany fan, which sucks with them getting into the same group, but I would be elated if they both make it out of the group.

The "fun" part of working when the games are on is avoiding the internet/ cell phones/ email / texts/ facebook/ etc. from accidentally seeing the scores. I have told my co-workers to not talk about the games during the day as they're happening because I'm usually recording one game while we're at work, to watch at night.

I'm amazed at the home-continent advantage so far. Lots of goals, which is great. Lots of terribly shaking goalkeeping too.

Top Bottom