who is your ukulele idol at the moment?

Lyle Ritz with special thanks to Jim Beloff for making Lyle's style accessible to us.

I'm also grateful to two other great teachers: Bob Brozman and Glen Rose for unlocking such joy in playing the instrument for me.

Finally, I'm also a big fan of Sarah Maisel - a brilliant singer and a super-sweet person!

In no particular order:

Corey Fujimoto
Seeso
Eugene

If you're going to choose a musician whose technique you aspire to, choose someone approachable and friendly, who is always willing to answer questions and help whenever they can.

Or Seeso.

Yes he does. At least one that is mostly if not all instrumental. Not my cup of tea but you might like it a lot.

"A Flying Leap"

My daughter loves watching Tiny Tim sing and play. She loves his eccentric mannerisms and simple songs. We are currently learning 'Tiptoe'.

Tim was cooler than many people like to acknowledge...
However, my all time favorite uke players are Smeck, Edwards, Ritz, Chong....and many of the great players here on the UU forum (none mentioned, none forgotten).

Yes he does. At least one that is mostly if not all instrumental. Not my cup of tea but you might like it a lot.

"A Flying Leap"

I checked it out to fast and all over the place, his song writing is nice however i prefer more smooth slower instrumentals over any kind of music. I respect his skills but overall just isn't what im looking for to add to my weekly listening collection.

Tim was cooler than many people like to acknowledge...
However, my all time favorite uke players are Smeck, Edwards, Ritz, Chong....and many of the great players here on the UU forum (none mentioned, none forgotten).

he was a goof and a joke, smeck had this goofy showy thing but that was part of his act
and he was actually very talented technically so i respect him. Tiny tim just make the uke
seem even more so like a novelty / joke. Lyle ritz actually took the uke and turned it into a serious
instrument and made some amazing jazz tunes totally love the guy. But at the current moment
kimo hussey impresses me over all his style is exactly what i look forward to listening to over any player (who has a record contact) right now.

iamesperambient: " I def like him better than jake who lets face it is the hendrix of the ukulele which i totally respect his talent hes amazing just not my kind of music..[/QUOTE said:
I agree, It is def not my kind of music either.
but as far as Hendrix goes, Jimi was a singer/songwriter and Jake is known mostly for playing Covers. He also dosen't sing. He is an amazing talent that does absolutely nothing for me personally. Certainly not a Hendrix in my book.

Gotta agree with the others and say "no idols here" as well.

But my fave ukers at the moment (and always) are Cliff Edwards, Azo Bell, Lil' Rev, John King, Dr Bekken and John Bianchi.

I prefer Ukulele Ike to Cliff Edwards, otherwise, my list is about the same as yours. For resonator blues, I must also add Del Rey

Last edited:
Sarah

Craig Chee
James Hill
Troy Fernandez
Jake
Kimo
Corey Fujimoto

And on and on
Hell, just about everyone.

In no particular order:

Corey Fujimoto
Seeso
Eugene

If you're going to choose a musician whose technique you aspire to, choose someone approachable and friendly, who is always willing to answer questions and help whenever they can.

Or Seeso.

Since you are currently banned and cannot respond, I am currently giving you the finger.

Top Bottom