Blackbird Clara Roadtrip

Clara isn't for everybody. When mine came I swapped out the Oasis GPX strings for Fremont Blacklines and high G. The Oasis strings make Clara just too bright to my ear. Fremonts are better but I'd like to make her warmer still. Next set will probably be an all-flouro Low G set.

Thanks for giving the Clara a try.

I'd be curious what you think of the Aquila Reds. They sound fantastic to me on the Clara. And Joe told me that several people at Blackbird commented the same when they heard one strung with Reds.

Any road trip updates?

The road trip model was sent back to Blackbird to be restrung and checked out. It's now back on the road, but we're off schedule by several weeks. Sorry for the delay.

Anyone know the approximate location of the Clara now. I have not seen any recent entries or reviews of it and I am scheduled to receive it in October.

Anyone know the approximate location of the Clara now. I have not seen any recent entries or reviews of it and I am scheduled to receive it in October.

Last email update 8/27 indicates it should be in Kentucky, and soon to be in Illinois. Although the schedule has some error.

Heading to New Jersey soon and currently a bit ahead of schedule according to the new schedule. Did you receive the updated schedule from about three weeks ago? If not, please contact me and I will send to you. Thank You.

The Road Trip Clara will be leaving Atlanta and heading to New Mexico tomorrow!

It should be interesting.

I'm very disappointed about the low G. I have absolutely no interest in playing a low G ukulele.

No worries Kim. Slap a high G on it and enjoy. Just put the low G back on before you send it on. I keep mine strung high G.

I've been told that we're not supposed to change the strings. I'm very unhappy about that.

Well then come over and play mine.

I play low G for my lessons with Sarah but prefer high G. When I demoed a Clara they had it low G and the balance was great. But I haven't found the right strings for that.

At the risk of being labeled a cross poster...

Trying to keep the integrity of the Road Trip comments thread so I copied this from the "Review" forum where I previously posted it. Sorry for my confusion.

Initial impressions after an hour or so of playing...

Not sure if my sound clip does the Clara justice. I decided to do a quick Garageband thing on my iPad and then realized that I had never opened Garageband on the iPad. Had to search to find a "clean" or acoustic amp model and was not satisfied that my choice was an accurate representation of the Clara's tone.

As for the instrument itself, I am very impressed on several counts. The basic sound production, with the combination of the composite layup and the hollow neck is brilliantly executed. In addition, the use of the Ekoa material clearly tames the carbon fiber tone that I have always perceived as a bit on the brittle side. The neck plays very friendly up to about the 10th fret where the real estate starts getting crowded for my large glove sized hands. Chords in that region that I can easily play on my tenors require a bit of a slow down and more deliberate finger placement. Obviously, this is a function of scale length vs. the tenors, but it does affect my overall playing experience.

Currently, the tone is more than acceptable and the volume is quite more than adequate. In fact, the volume is considerable bordering on the phrase usually reserved for loud mandolins; "this thing is a cannon". I don't know which strings came to me on the Clara, but the low G boominess that some have mentioned, while present to some degree, is not as much as an issue as I had begun to think it might be. I am thinking on cutting down my last set of Living Waters (low G) it order to experiment a bit with reducing the low G presence a bit more. At the moment, the "lower case" boom is only noticible with single notes and I can control that easily by concentrating on my thumb attack. Still, I am of the opinion that the right low G string will render the boom comments moot. Might have to sacrifice the tenor Living Waters to find out, though.

There is also an overall relaxing sense that accompanies playing this instrument. I don't know how many homes this thing has visited, but my guess is that despite the care exercised by those who came before me, a wood instrument having made this journey would show signs of wear, bumps or bruises. The Clara looks like it is brand spanking new. I really like the comfort of knowing that this thing is not likely to lose some of its esthetic appeal due to a collision caused by a galloping cat.

When I played a Clara for a few minutes during the last Reno Uke festival, I was somewhat mildly interested primarily because it was not of the scale length that I prefer. I still harbor some of that thought, but if it became clear to me that Blackbird had decided to keep this the Ekoa design limited to the Concert scale, I might well decide that the convenience and portability of the current size is OK with me. In my heart, I would still like to see an Ekoa tenor, though.

Overall, this uke is a clear winner.

Top Bottom