Blackbird Clara Roadtrip

OK I do understand the problem, thought i'd ask anyways. Thanks for the reply.
Bill

Bill,

Sorry, but no. I've looked into it in the past, but getting the ukulele through Customs and back would be quite difficult and time-consuming, and the shipping costs would be higher. You may want to check with Blackbird to see whether they have any dealers in Canada.

Here's another Clara owner giving a shout out to a fine, fine concert ukulele. Its playability, richness of tone, volume and lightweight construction are second to none that I've played.

Very UAS-worthy.

No one else is sweating those details, just do it Sounds like you really want to try it but might be a fraid you would fall in love with it ;)

Afraid indeed, very afraid! Still no one has answered the insurance question. I know that if it were my uke, I wouldn't worry about it. But it has to go all over the place and, I guess?, return to the dealer at some point.

And still the signup button looms before me... :D

Afraid indeed, very afraid! Still no one has answered the insurance question. I know that if it were my uke, I wouldn't worry about it. But it has to go all over the place and, I guess?, return to the dealer at some point.

And still the signup button looms before me... :D

Not to worry: MacNichol does this all the time with the carbon fibre models, which are very hardy. Unless you set out to destroy it or it meets with a major accident, the Clara should do just fine.

Joe of Blackbird says the one-piece neck and body component is "super strong". Only the top needs a little care.

I've long been lusting after a Clara. My biggest fear with test driving one is that I'll decide I have to have one.

Sly mongoose dem. ;)

I've long been lusting after a Clara. My biggest fear with test driving one is that I'll decide I have to have one.

Sly mongoose dem. ;)

You know you want it. Yes, if you try it you'll buy it, or live a life of desperate longing.

It is hard for me to say just how good I think Clara is. Tone, intonation, set up, volume, it's all the real deal, an ukulele for all seasons.

Excellent question.

I don't know of any way that you could get insurance for just one week. Your homeowner's insurance might cover theft if it were stolen from your home. The same might be true of your car insurance.

As such, you're taking a risk in that the possibility of damage, loss, or theft does exist. However, here is some information on on our Road Trips. We've done many road trips with carbon fiber guitars, and one with Blackbird's Tenor ukulele as well. We've also done some with wooden instruments. To date, we've had about 400 weeklong demos at people's homes through the various road trips we've done. We've never had any problems with loss or theft. As far as damage goes, it's unlikely with a composite material ukulele, and a customer has yet had to pay an additional fee because of damage. The instruments come back to us in good condition with perhaps a few scratches. You can see the condition of the Blackbird Lucky 13 road trip model we did a short time ago at the following link: Blackbird Lucky 13 Demo Model

Our agreement wording seems a bit strict, but we recognize that small scratches and dings are likely to occur when people play instruments, although many of the instruments come back to us looking new.

The only time we've had damage beyond scratches and dings was with a carbon fiber guitar builder (not Blackbird) that had been using ebony fretboards, and the fretboards cracked. No customers were held liable for this. The guitars came back to our store and we repaired the fretboards. The builder no longer uses ebony, and now uses a material impervious to climate changes.

It's unlikely that anything would happen, but if you're not comfortable having the ukulele with you for a week at your home, that's understandable. We're located in Salt Lake City, so if you wanted to take a ski vacation this winter, then please stop by our store. You could also visit another Blackbird dealer's store, or visit Blackbird themselves to demo a Clara.

Last edited:
Also, heat and humidity (or lack of) are no problem for the Clara. I was in Zion National Park yesterday and brought the Road Trip demo model with me.

10446484_10152263208784389_2894451498716876538_n.jpg

Registration ends today at 5 pm Mountain Time. We'll get the schedule sent via email, and will start the road trip in a few days.

Looks like the Road Trip started today. I'd love to hear what you all think about the Clara. My slot on the schedule is late September.

Hindsight is wonderful.....would'a, could'a, should'a!

I hope to see it somewhere in December, which may be hectic but gives me time to save up funds because I am thinking I will want to have one. It could be what I have been looking for to replace and consolidate my concerts and sopranos.

I'm hoping at least one of two dealers that carry them will have one at the Tampa Bay Uke Club Ukulele Getaway in November.

I believe I have a slot for August. Can't wait to give it a shot. I wish we had more good uke dealers in Kentucky.

Top Bottom