Dog and UPS incident

Well you confirmed what we all suspected, UPS drivers THROW packages! :rolleyes:

And yes people are for the most part complete morons when it comes to training or even understanding their dogs or dog body language in general. Dogs are NOT "little people in fur suits", no matter how much or well we get them to conform to our social environment, or how smart dogs are.

I'm a dog enthusiast and currently a dog walker, and I can read a dog from 40 feet away. Most people as I approach, especially if I curb my dog and have it sit out of the way, will say "Oh he's fine" and then when their dog flips out and lunges snarling at my client dog who is behaving well and under my control, say "Oh I don't know why he did that! He's never done anything like that before!" and that is just horsesh*t, people, and I know it! They are a clueless ignorant owner with an untrained improperly socialized dog. Then the attitude many people have that it's all okay after the fact is just more BS, because ignoring the fact that your dog behaves badly is just like shoving his poop under the rug when he craps in the house and saying you don't smell anything. Of course please note I am using a completely impersonal generic "you" and "your" here.

If any dog owners are offended please pick up a book on canine behavior patterns or how to "speak dog" before you dump crap on me. I speak very fluent "horse" too, and "parrot". It requires a willingness to learn and pay attention.

Last edited:
Point is people need to train their dogs better.

Yes!!! Thank you, especially since you're one of our great UPS drivers out there, in agreeing with my point number 1. I spend lots of time and money making sure my dogs know how to behave and do so. Let me expand my point. I hire a professional trainer and train with him and my dogs once a week during most of the year. I use leashes in circumstances where I know other people might be nervous about my dogs. When off leash, my dogs are wearing electric training collars, and I have the controller in my hand. I can't have a physical fence in my homeowners association, so I have an electric, "Invisible Fence." I have gentle, sweet dogs, but even they tend to bark and run toward a stranger entering the property. I am continually correcting for that behavior, but it is difficult because training opportunities depend on the presence of the stranger. And, I have to be ready to do my part. The coordination is spotty at best. Responsible ownership of a dog in the city is a lot different that it is in rural areas. The lazy ole hound dog sleeping on the porch, and the handsome collie with the kids down by the stream, are beautiful images, but they aren't part of city reality. Owning a dog in the city means being with it 24/7 and making it part of your life. If that's not for you, don't get a dog.

This guy's got nothing. He needs to get a new dog and leash his animals. He claims the law is not protecting his rights. So, apparently the delivery man, legally on the property, has no right to defend himself whatsoever. If he doesn't, there's something very wrong. Doesn't matter if it's a Jack Russell terrier or any other breed. A dog, loose outdoors, is a potential threat to humans. The dog's "rights" should not be protected above the rights of any person acting perfectly within the limits of the law to protect him/herself from danger. I will certainly use whatever weapon I have at my disposal to protect my safety or that of a loved one being attacked by your dog, or if I interpret your dog's actions as an attack. Your dog may end up blinded or more seriously injured, or worse (for you). But, in fear of my safety or that of the people I love, I will not consider the "rights" of your unleashed pet. It has none. Chihuahua or Pitt Bull. We see, with horrifying regularity, stories in the news about adults and children attacked and permanently disfigured by dogs roaming around, just like this one.

If anything, the man in this video should sue the UPS driver for trespassing. See how that goes.

For all we know, this guy's probably the first who'll claim he has the right to protect his family's and his own safety with a firearm against a human being. I can't figure out my fellow Americans. I'm saddened to know that many of us will think "poor doggie" and actually support this unjustifiable boycott.

I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Reading this thread with interest. I am a dog owner in rural France. I own an exceedingly soft and dopey Labrador X, who, when she is not having her daily walk with me, is allowed out occasionally on her own to wander around our hamlet ... this is very common practice round here. The only livestock anywhere in the area are cattle, and she is scared stiff of these. On those occasions when I am concerned that she might be outstaying her welcome with the neighbours (and we have very few of those), so keep her confined to quarters; then there are complaints that they miss her as she hasn't been around. I realise that this sounds like highly irresponsible dog ownership, but I am very aware of my responsibilities in that direction. Dog ownership in a US city, if the above stories are anything to go by, sounds more like an ordeal than a pleasure, if electronic training collars and sprays have to be relied upon to control one's own and other people's "pets" ... and as for all those parcels being hurled across lawns by terrified delivery men, one can only hope they don't contain ukuleles.

Yes , our hearts have been broken since 2014 .

Top Bottom