Snail Ukulele Mahogany Tenor (by amahi)

iamesperambient

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago i bought a kala pacific walnut concert.
I actually loved it's look and sound very much but really just wanted a tenor. I went to a local mom and pop music store today and found this snail ukulele brand tenor uke. It looked very nice and sounded great nice full sound. It was the same price as the kala, so i quickly told the guy i'd be back in 15 minutes. I went home got my kala with the box and packaging went back to sam ash with my receipt and returned it.

I went back and bought the snail uke. I have not had heard much about amahi or snail ukes but seen the brand around. In all honesty it doesn't matter much to me if its a famous name or not if the look and sound is good.

Anyway pretty nice ukulele it came strung with aquilas (which i find to bright) Will be putting oasis warm strings on it shortly.
It has a nice mellow sound with good projection, the finish is nice looks like a laminate but doesn't really say on the website
this is what the website lists about the model:
http://www.amahiukes.com/ukuleles-and-guitars/intermediate-ukuleles
"Snail Ukulele Mahogany Tenor
Snail Mahogany Ukulele with Red Tortoise binding. Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge with bag.

Diecast Machine Heads

Aquila Strings

"Amazing Sound":

ok not much info there.... so i will assume for 140 bucks its a laminate which is fine with me. I like the tortishell binding around the body and sound whole it looks nice, the gold tuners also look classy! and it came with a pretty sturdy gig bag which is great too!
Overall happy with this purchase I for sure will up grade and save for a more expensive tenor down the line but this will do the trick for now certainly an upgrade for me at least and just finally having the tenor size is nice, i'm still getting used to the fretboard but i really like the tenor size more than conert, i love the slightly more bassy tone and its voice a lot more.

I will post some sound clips but probably on the UU FB as i don't have a youtube account. Does anyone else own a snail uke?

Last edited:
So a few weeks ago i bought a kala pacific walnut concert.
I actually loved it's look and sound very much but really just wanted a tenor. I went to a local mom and pop music store today and found this snail ukulele brand tenor uke. It looked very nice and sounded great nice full sound. It was the same price as the kala, so i quickly told the guy i'd be back in 15 minutes. I went home got my kala with the box and packaging went back to sam ash with my receipt and returned it.

I went back and bought the snail uke. I have not had heard much about amahi or snail ukes but seen the brand around. In all honesty it doesn't matter much to me if its a famous name or not if the look and sound is good.

Anyway pretty nice ukulele it came strung with aquilas (which i find to bright) Will be putting oasis warm strings on it shortly.
It has a nice mellow sound with good projection, the finish is nice looks like a laminate but doesn't really say on the website
this is what the website lists about the model:
http://www.amahiukes.com/ukuleles-and-guitars/intermediate-ukuleles
"Snail Ukulele Mahogany Tenor
Snail Mahogany Ukulele with Red Tortoise binding. Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge with bag.

Diecast Machine Heads

Aquila Strings

"Amazing Sound":

ok not much info there.... so i will assume for 140 bucks its a laminate which is fine with me. I like the tortishell binding around the body and sound whole it looks nice, the gold tuners also look classy! and it came with a pretty sturdy gig bag which is great too!
Overall happy with this purchase I for sure will up grade and save for a more expensive tenor down the line but this will do the trick for now certainly an upgrade for me at least and just finally having the tenor size is nice, i'm still getting used to the fretboard but i really like the tenor size more than conert, i love the slightly more bassy tone and its voice a lot more.

I will post some sound clips but probably on the UU FB as i don't have a youtube account. Does anyone else own a snail uke?

no love for amahi/snail ukes? may not be as known as kala or lanikai but for this price range of ukes
they make a much better sounding and looking uke for the price of both brands.

no love for amahi/snail ukes? may not be as known as kala or lanikai but for this price range of ukes
they make a much better sounding and looking uke for the price of both brands.

It is likely that maybe not many people have played this brand? Anyway, congrats on your new ukulele. It is great that you were able to return one and get the one you wanted. I saw Snail ukuleles in a display at a local music store today, but didn't play them because they were not easily accessible the way they were displayed. I noticed some that didn't have a "normal" round soundhole, but instead a cut out pattern design. That seemed interesting and unique. I didn't see prices on these ukuleles, so I really don't know anything about them.

What I do know is that if you are happy with your ukulele, you will tend to play it often, and that is what really counts.

Tony

It is likely that maybe not many people have played this brand? Anyway, congrats on your new ukulele. It is great that you were able to return one and get the one you wanted. I saw Snail ukuleles in a display at a local music store today, but didn't play them because they were not easily accessible the way they were displayed. I noticed some that didn't have a "normal" round soundhole, but instead a cut out pattern design. That seemed interesting and unique. I didn't see prices on these ukuleles, so I really don't know anything about them.

What I do know is that if you are happy with your ukulele, you will tend to play it often, and that is what really counts.

Tony

they do have models with a snail sound hole
mine is a normal one. I brought my snail
into a music shop and fought it against lanikai
kala and other brands and it kicked their asses
I hope amahi gets a better marketing
campaign for their ukes in really believe
their way better than kala or lanikai
in terms of quality and sound.
I hope more people try them out.

I brought my snail into a music shop and fought it against lanikai kala and other brands and it kicked their asses
Three ukes enter, one uke leaves! :biglaugh:

Three ukes enter, one uke leaves! :biglaugh:

it really is good compared to the other affordable brands i really think it sounds better overall.
Clearly won't match up to a martin or high end brand but compared with lanikai, kala, or other alike
brands it really is a step up in quality (i think).

I have the same model Uke as the OP. It's my first Ukulele so I have no basis for comparison, but it sounds great, has good geared tuners, and has a good build quality. I was buying online so I had no chance to try any out before hand. I'm very happy with it, although I now want an all solid concert Uke as well!

I have Snail SR-04, which is solid koa with lots of upgrades. It is beautiful to look at and has a nice sound for the price point. I have a friend in Canada who sells Snail ukuleles, and she has been very pleased with all of the ones she has played across the line, including the less expensive ones. I played an under-$100 Amahi recently and I thought it was a great sound and build for the price.

Kristi

I played the snail with sound port over the summer at my local music shop. It's the one the salesman recommended in the $300 and under range. Nice ukes! There's not s lot of info in them, including UU, but the salesman said they have a Facebook page and owner's group you might look into. Congrats on yours and Happy Strummings!

I bought the snail rosewood tenor size and I am blown away by it, it only cost £100, it is a laminate but boy does it give some of my solid ukes a run for their money, well pleased with it

I owned two Amahi ukes, one Bari, one Sop. I ended up giving the Soprano away, but not because I didn't like it! I still have the Bari. I think they're great instruments for the money. They sound good and are priced very well.

no love for amahi/snail ukes?

Much love from me!

I have an Amahi ebony (laminated) Concert uke and it is great. it has a built in tuner and pickup and I spent about $140 for it new at a music store. It has a unique sweet darker sound. Mine doesn't have the snail shaped sound hole, it is a traditional looking Uke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom