so... why Kamaka?

So anyway, about them stock strings........................

Living Waters really make my concert sing.

Ralf, beyond the look of black strings, can you elaborate as to what you like about them?
I've tried enough nylon strings and fluorocarbon strings on my ukes to notice a few general differences. Glad to elaborate...

I prefer the feel of nylon strings. They're generally thicker and softer than fluorocarbon strings. It's not a big difference, but my fingertips notice.

More importantly, I prefer the sound of nylon strings. I've found that, generally, nylon strings tend to have less sustain and less brightness than fluorocarbon strings, but that nylon strings also tend to have more depth. Deeper, more mellow ukulele tones sound better to me than brighter, more sustained sounds, so it's nylon strings for me.

I've tried enough nylon strings and fluorocarbon strings on my ukes to notice a few general differences. Glad to elaborate...

I prefer the feel of nylon strings. They're generally thicker and softer than fluorocarbon strings. It's not a big difference, but my fingertips notice.

More importantly, I prefer the sound of nylon strings. I've found that, generally, nylon strings tend to have less sustain and less brightness than fluorocarbon strings, but that nylon strings also tend to have more depth. Deeper, more mellow ukulele tones sound better to me than brighter, more sustained sounds, so it's nylon strings for me.

Cool! Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense to me as the qualities you are seeking are kind of the opposite of my preferences. But perhaps the majority of Kamaka's customers' preferences are more in line with yours.

Mike Upton: "I crack open the Bible and read Proverbs. I get a lot of business wisdom out of that book. “A soft answer turns away wrath” — there’s one. Then I grab my two VPs, we pray, and then we launch into our day, which usually involves a lot of coffee."

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that (and if he had said the NT I wouldn't have given it a second thought) . I probably shouldn't have mentioned it here, but it is prominently noted in an interview on his (the Kala Music) web site.

Why? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but distinguishing between the old and new testaments like this seems strange to me.

Last edited:
I bought my first Kamaka on an ukulele expedition to Oahu and Kauai in 2011. During my trip I visited both Kamaka and Ko'Aloha and took the tours, went to HMS when it was a little mostly-guitar store in the middle of Oahu, and found the ukulele of my dreams - a Kamaka tenor - at the Larry's Music in Koloa Town on Kauai. A few months later, I found an amazing sounding used (but pristine) Kamaka tenor at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto CA. My most recent Kamaka purchase was a rare 8-string baritone I bought in October 2012 from MusicguyMic at HMS in its new location. My Kamakas get the bulk of my Hawaiian music playing time.

Curious to know what your string preferences are, since (unlike myself) you actually do play Hawaiian?

I will put in my strings...
I use Oasis warm with a Fremont soloist wound Low G....

seems to give my Kamaka a cleaner/crisp warm tone and the stings feel softer than the Worths...IMO

I will put in my strings...
I use Oasis warm with a Fremont soloist wound Low G....

seems to give my Kamaka a cleaner/crisp warm tone and the stings feel softer than the Worths...IMO

I like the Fremont Soloist as well. Tried the Oasis warms on my HP-1 pineapple and had mixed feelings - I should give them a try on the Low G uke next time.

Curious to know what your string preferences are, since (unlike myself) you actually do play Hawaiian?

I've been using low G Worth Clears, which have a richer and fuller sound than Kamaka strings. I'm planning to try Living Water strings next, with a Fremont Soloist low G, and I'd like to try the Southcoast set that Chuck is now using on his Moore Bettahs.

Guess I'm in the minority; don't mind the stock Kamaka strings on my Kamaka ukes. Anyone else? Used to love Fremont Blacklines on everything.

Low G on a soprano is kind of missing the point of the soprano........I believe that this is the original "fun" instrument that gets most if not all of the "toy" guitar jibes . It is also equally the one most likely to be dismissed or pooh poohed (now that's British for yer..) by some of the larger ukulele playing cogniscenti....

Back in the 70's the soprano was THE ukulele ...maybe a concert size here and there and mainly on your side of the pond ...if there was an alternative here in Blighty it would have been a BanjoUke (again Soprano sized neck)..the Soprano is a melodic percussive instrument which in traditional and classic (not classically) mode absolutely demands the re-entrant tuning ...bass Gs (or Low Gs ) are a waste ofspace ....many of you seem to not like the Smeckian ,Formbyian,Ike-ian style of play ,...that's fair enough...just picking up on the comment about low G and making a point that Ukuleles are as dysfunctional a family as the Osbournes .
The sops are the little tearaway tykes ,like Jack Russels..they can do the softer little numbers ...but are best at frenetically tearing it up.......I would not play Smeck or Formby on a Tenor ... in fact I don't have a Tenor, but I do play Django and Russian Folk on an Ohana Mahogany CK10 (cheap ) Concert......I just might quite a posh one like one of the K K K K K Ks.

CJ

My Father has been playing an ukulele for much longer than the 70's. And his prize possession is a Martin tenor...from before the 70s...my grandfather's one is from the 30s...whatever people want to do with theirs is their own business...I appreciate your opinion, however.

I like my Kamakas with the blacklines as I am too pake to change them until it's time...and mine sound great! As for how they play, they play very well and the fit is awesome, but they are not for everyone. I agree that everyone who loves the ukulele should own a Kamaka, after all they are the yardstick. Gotoh UPTs absolutely rock! I never thought I would discern the difference, but it is noticable. Nothing against Schallers, which are really heavy duty and nice too, imho.

I have been demoing Collings around town...that is my next target...maybe next year for Xmas with my bonus check.

Aloha

I like the Fremont Soloist as well. Tried the Oasis warms on my HP-1 pineapple and had mixed feelings - I should give them a try on the Low G uke next time.

I use the Oasis on my HF3S...I tried all the other strings but like these the best

btw I have not put a set of South Coast HML-RWs on my Kamaka yet...since I do not play it as much as my other ukes which have the South Coast...don't want to leave the Heavy Medium strings on the Kamaka (too lazy to change them)

I've been using low G Worth Clears, which have a richer and fuller sound than Kamaka strings. I'm planning to try Living Water strings next, with a Fremont Soloist low G, and I'd like to try the Southcoast set that Chuck is now using on his Moore Bettahs.

I use the Oasis on my HF3S...I tried all the other strings but like these the best

btw I have not put a set of South Coast HML-RWs on my Kamaka yet...since I do not play it as much as my other ukes which have the South Coast...don't want to leave the Heavy Medium strings on the Kamaka (too lazy to change them)

Those Southcoast that Chuck uses (HML-RW) are currently on my Kamaka. They sound amazing on it. I am still getting the hang of wound strings but I have to admit they sound better on it than any other string set I have used on it to date (Worth, Aquila, D'addario, Fremont, Living Water or Savarez).

Those Southcoast that Chuck uses (HML-RW) are currently on my Kamaka. They sound amazing on it. I am still getting the hang of wound strings but I have to admit they sound better on it than any other string set I have used on it to date (Worth, Aquila, D'addario, Fremont, Living Water or Savarez).

If getting use to the Round Wounds Set from South Coast bothers you - try their flat wound set (HML-FW) - They will last 2X longer too. No noise.

If getting use to the Round Wounds Set from South Coast bothers you - try their flat wound set (HML-FW) - They will last 2X longer too. No noise.

The HML-FW sets are ball end only and won't work on a tie bridge. Apparently Dirk doesn't recommend sitting the ball off. At least that's my understanding.

Ok Staci...you convinced me....when I am not in lazy mode I will put the HML-RWs on my Kamaka..
fyi I saw Paula Fugo's super old Martin tenor and Andrew strung it up with the S/C HML-RW and it sounded really good....the top is thin but looks like it will work....

now to get out of lazy string changing mode....:)

Ok Staci...you convinced me....when I am not in lazy mode I will put the HML-RWs on my Kamaka..
fyi I saw Paula Fugo's super old Martin tenor and Andrew strung it up with the S/C HML-RW and it sounded really good....the top is thin but looks like it will work....

now to get out of lazy string changing mode....:)

The main reason I keep my Kamaka Long-Neck Concert is to keep one uke with high G...Now I might jump on the band wagon and go low G as well.

And to answer why I have one...I don't really have any particular reason except for the build date being close to when I started playing the ukulele. I've tried to sell it many times but my wife reminds me it was my 40th B-day gift from HER! haha

My Father has been playing an ukulele for much longer than the 70's. And his prize possession is a Martin tenor...from before the 70s...my grandfather's one is from the 30s...whatever people want to do with theirs is their own business...I appreciate your opinion, however.

I like my Kamakas with the blacklines as I am too pake to change them until it's time...and mine sound great! As for how they play, they play very well and the fit is awesome, but they are not for everyone. I agree that everyone who loves the ukulele should own a Kamaka, after all they are the yardstick. Gotoh UPTs absolutely rock! I never thought I would discern the difference, but it is noticable. Nothing against Schallers, which are really heavy duty and nice too, imho.

I have been demoing Collings around town...that is my next target...maybe next year for Xmas with my bonus check.

Aloha

That is an interesting comment about Kamakas being the yardstick. I am getting that impression as I read through the forums. When I got mine, I was COMPLETELY unaware of any brand names for ukuleles except Martin and Collings because they are both very well known guitar makers and that is where I come from.

All I was looking for was a low G instrument that was in the same ballpark in terms of quality as my Ko'olau. I had only been involved with the ukulele for a couple of weeks. So I made my choices by sound only, and not the name on the head stock. From my perspective, I decided to buy an "unknown" brand over a "known" brand. I picked my Kamaka over Collings and Martin by listening to somebody play them for me. That doesn't mean any of what I heard sounded bad - they were all very good. I just preferred the sound of the Kamaka.

Also, I had never heard of Ko'olau, my first ukulele, when I bought it. Again, it was the sound and I chose what to me was an unknown brand over the known brands Martin and Collings. Because of the way I chose my ukuleles, I seriously doubt I will be selling or looking for something else any time soon. I trust my ears after playing professionally, semi-pro and as a hobby for over 30 years. But I also known that we all like at least somewhat different sounds, so my choices may not appeal at all to somebody else. There is no "right" answer to a situation like picking a musical instrument. It is too personal for another's opinion to interfere.

Tony

And to answer why I have one...I don't really have any particular reason except for the build date being close to when I started playing the ukulele. I've tried to sell it many times but my wife reminds me it was my 40th B-day gift from HER! haha
Which makes perfect sense, especially now that you're 42. :p

Top Bottom